help me please

Old October 21st 05, 08:42 PM
DarkVisor

Default help me please

Hi all,

new to rubber stamping and have been trying a few things out over the last
few days but need some help on embossing

i stamp ok with clear ink then sprinkle powder on but when i come to take
the powder off to heat up, it seems to have speks of the stuff all over the
place,

any tips before i go back to model making lol

cheers and all the best

stuart

Old October 21st 05, 09:34 PM
Cecelia

There are little bags that contain something (I think maybe talc?) that you
can purchase very inexpensively. You wipe it across the card BEFORE
stamping. When you pour off your excess powder it won't stick to the card.
I think mine cost about $3-$4US. Mine is called an Embossing Buddy, but I
think that might be a brand name. You should be able to find something at a
local craft store if you tell them what problem you are having.

Good Luck!

Cecelia

Old October 21st 05, 09:49 PM
Barbara Hass

DarkVisor wrote:
snip
i stamp ok with clear ink then sprinkle powder on but when i come to take
the powder off to heat up, it seems to have speks of the stuff all over the
place,

any tips before i go back to model making lol

Stuart,

Two suggestions:
1) Use a fine paintbrush to carefully brush off excess powder.
2) Turn your card (or whatever) upside down and tap fairly hard on the
card with your finger to release the excess. If you did a good job of
applying the ink, the powder you *do* want should stay stuck OK when you
do this.

Excess powder sticking is usually more of a static electricity issue.
Anything you can do to reduce the static electricity in the environment
will help, such as running a humidifier in the room in winter,
especially if you have central air.

Good luck!
Barbara
Old October 21st 05, 10:14 PM
Barbara Hass

Cecelia wrote:

There are little bags that contain something (I think maybe talc?) that you
can purchase very inexpensively. You wipe it across the card BEFORE
stamping. When you pour off your excess powder it won't stick to the card.
I think mine cost about $3-$4US. Mine is called an Embossing Buddy, but I
think that might be a brand name. You should be able to find something at a
local craft store if you tell them what problem you are having.

Good Luck!

Cecelia

Hmmmm....I wonder if rubbing a fabric softener sheet across the card
would do the same thing? Something I might experiment with....

Barbara
Old October 22nd 05, 01:26 AM
Arleen

I have successfully used the embossing buddy that Cecelia mentioned, as well
as the fabric softener sheet. Both work well, I have also used a makeup
brush to dust corn starch over the paper before I stamp my embossing ink. It
worked well too. Also as Barbara said, give it a GOOD tap before you heat.
If you use one of the preceding ideas and tap well you should have much
better results. Good luck!
Arleen

Old October 22nd 05, 06:18 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Stuart,

Another good suggestion is to try not to handle your cardstock too much
before stamping on it - hold it by the edges rather than sticking finger
and thumb firmly in the middle (which was what I used to do...!)

The grease on your fingers will stick onto the card and attract
embossing powder like anything, so the less fingerprints on the card,
the less stray powder particles.

Hope this helps,
Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK

Old October 23rd 05, 04:45 PM
chatty cathy

Hey i like these ideas too cause im new to embossing and i was having
the same trouble..i will try the fabric sheet first and see if this is a
goody..thanks all..

Old October 23rd 05, 08:10 PM
Shell

Hi,
what works for me is using a small paint brush to clean it up a bit or
using the Stampin'UP embossing buddy it's to be rubbed on the cardstock
before you stamp and emboss it's price runs $4.50 eacg...........hope
this helps you!

Shell
Stampin'Up Demonstrator in Alaska

Old October 23rd 05, 08:52 PM
Risible

Barbara Hass wrote:
Hmmmm....I wonder if rubbing a fabric softener sheet across the card
would do the same thing? Something I might experiment with....

Barbara

Fabric softener sheets work very well for reducing stray embossing
powder, but you should use a *used* sheet. Otherwise, it may leave a
residue on your paper. Do your laundry first, then you can emboss. :-)

Sincerely,
Risible

Old October 24th 05, 02:40 PM
Mary Ann

Yes be sure to use a 'used' dryer sheet -- or you will have more of a mess
than you ever planned for. Don't ask me how I know. lol

Mary Ann

"Risible" wrote in message
oups.com...