OT - Our holiday weekend

Old July 20th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo in Scotland[_2_]

Default OT - Our holiday weekend

Hello folks,

Photos are to be uploaded from our holiday weekend, but here is some
information: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u.../schiehallion/
We stayed in a Victorian hotel in Kinloch Rannoch, and climbed
Schiehallion "Fairy Hill of the Caledonians" on Saturday. It took us
3 1/2 hours to get up there and 2 1/2 hours to get down. Others were
faster, but I have weak ankles, and half of the walk is rubble.
Unstable rubble. However, you do get magnificent views from 3,554
feet up and we could see Loch Rannoch and Loch Tummel as well as loads
of mountains and forests. It was nice to have a good meal and jacuzzi
waiting at the end of it! And we slept like stones that night.
That's my first Munro out of the way. Only 282 left to go!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 20th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Wow! That's beautiful! I don't think I could have done it though.
Congratulations1

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 20th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Congratulations on your first Munro, Jo!
Good for you. I got to the top of Cairngorm, but that's all!
Sounds like a great day.
..
In message
, Jo
in Scotland writes
Hello folks,

Photos are to be uploaded from our holiday weekend, but here is some
information: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u.../schiehallion/
We stayed in a Victorian hotel in Kinloch Rannoch, and climbed
Schiehallion "Fairy Hill of the Caledonians" on Saturday. It took us
3 1/2 hours to get up there and 2 1/2 hours to get down. Others were
faster, but I have weak ankles, and half of the walk is rubble.
Unstable rubble. However, you do get magnificent views from 3,554
feet up and we could see Loch Rannoch and Loch Tummel as well as loads
of mountains and forests. It was nice to have a good meal and jacuzzi
waiting at the end of it! And we slept like stones that night.
That's my first Munro out of the way. Only 282 left to go!

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 20th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I had to nose around for 'munro' and found this:
It should be noted that any Scottish mountain over 3000 feet is known as
a "munro," and individuals who climb several (or all) of Scotland's 284
munros are said to "bag" munros.

Sounds like a great time Jo. Glad you got out and had such fun!
Taria

.

Old July 20th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo in Scotland[_2_]

Hello folks!

Just created an album to share a few photos with you:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564175498NaYLPw

Enjoy!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old July 20th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo in Scotland[_2_]

On 20 Jul, 17:43, Taria wrote:
I had to nose around for 'munro' and found this:
It should be noted that any Scottish mountain over 3000 feet is known as
a "munro," and individuals who climb several (or all) of Scotland's 284
munros are said to "bag" munros.

Sounds like a great time Jo. *Glad you got out and had such fun!
Taria

Yes, most people do it fully clothed with a variety of rain-gear "just
in case", but there are others.... http://www.nakedmunrobagging.com/naked.htm
Takes all sorts to make a world.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 20th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Wonderful pictures Jo! I looked through them twice! Walking in that rocky
area looked treacherous. I'm glad you both made it ok. Thanks for posting
the pics.

Old July 21st 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Looks like fun and good exercise. Thanks for sharing, Jo!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old July 21st 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

It's so beautiful Jo. Thanks for sharing! You & Mark make a great looking
couple. I thought perhaps you both rolled down the mountain, since you cut
an hour off the return trip - I see from the pictures, that would be very
painful! Brrr - it must have been very cold!

Pauline

Old July 21st 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Somewhere in surfing awhile back I also saw that the word "marilyn" also
was a hill or mountain , etc. At the time I thought someone must have
been chuckling when Norma Jean got renamed Marilyn Monroe. I then just
found this at Wikipedia:-----
Marilyn is a type of mountain or hill in Great Britain, Ireland or
surrounding islands
with a relative height of at least 150 metres (492 ft), regardless of
absolute height
or other merit. The name was coined as an ironic contrast to the designation
Munro,
used of a Scottish mountain with a height of more than 3,000 feet (910 m),
which is homophonous with (Marilyn) Monroe.