What I learned at Houston..

Old November 4th 05, 03:24 PM
dqlts

Default What I learned at Houston..

I too went to Houston again this year arrived Wednesday afternoon and came
home
Sunday morning. DH & I worked paid jobs, I volunteered as Quilt Angel
and I took two classes. Meetups didn't happen never could locate the TDB on
my lunch breaks.
My classes were both Needleturn Appliqué,and I learned three methods. Now I
am hooked, this is so relaxing and such a easy project to carry along.
My first class was with Faye Anderson, she has a book "Appliqué Designs,My
Mother Taught Me To Sew".The class project was not the most exciting but the
instruction and tips were very good. My next class was suppose to be taught
by
Darlene Christopherson her mother passed away on Tuesday so we were taught
by
her friend and fellow Appliqué Sara Madson. This class was like two for the
price of one. Sara not only taught Denise's methods but her own too. The
class project was great and I actually finished a whole block and started a
second one.
Baltimore Albums- no not in the near future but needleturn WHs, you bet I'll
be making a few.

Diana in Dallas

Old November 4th 05, 03:33 PM
teleflora

"dqlts" wrote in message
[...]

Diana, who's method do you prefer? Were you already proficient in needle
turn? I really love appliqué, but all the techniques I've tried seem to be
beyond me.

Glad you had fun in Houston.

Cindy

Old November 4th 05, 04:18 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"dqlts" wrote:

[...]

How fun! Glad you were able to learn so much and I hope you post
pictures of those WH's as you make them

marcella
Old November 4th 05, 11:34 PM
nzlstar*

btw, marcella.
do you remember me asking you about why the back of my applique stitches
were angled
when yours were straight.
well mine are much better now and getting smaller as well.
wooooohooooooo. just took you to give me the advice and explain it to me.
your a peach!!!
btw, folks, marcella does boooooooootiful applique.
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Marcella Peek" wrote...

Old November 5th 05, 03:37 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"nzlstar*" wrote:

btw, marcella.
do you remember me asking you about why the back of my applique stitches
were angled
when yours were straight.
well mine are much better now and getting smaller as well.
wooooohooooooo. just took you to give me the advice and explain it to me.
your a peach!!!
btw, folks, marcella does boooooooootiful applique.
hugz,
jeanne

Yahoo! I'm glad it worked for you. And for those of you who didn't
know....Jeanne designs her own patterns were as I am a copy out of a
book girl.

See, bragging works the other way too :-)

marcella
Old November 6th 05, 08:56 PM
nzlstar*

rofl, my designs arent all that terrific.
you'll never guess who i saw on simply quilts yesterday.
after reading all you told us here about that episode i had my eyes glued to
see how you and alex interacted. alex didnt leave you much to say or do but
i guess thats what that part of the show is all about. you really looked
interested in her replys considering it wasnt even your question, lol.
you looked great on tv too, tho better in person of course.
i'm still 'waiting' to hear about all those marvelous new designs of yours.
hugz,
jeanne

Old November 7th 05, 01:59 AM
Marcella Peek

Thanks. My cousins response was that I looked like my arms were
superglued to my side. That cracked me up because she was right! They
told me to stand just like that and not move, so I did. I look like a
geek but my hair was good ;-)

And, getting back to the Houston topic, my girlfriend and I are working
to make that next years quilting event. You all make it sound so fun.

marcella

Old November 7th 05, 02:09 AM
Pat in Virginia

If I catch some SQ reruns, I may see your episode. What was the
topic? Will they announce your name?
I'll look forward to meeting you in Houston next year, Marcella.
It is fun, inspiring, fun, educational, and, er, fun!
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 7th 05, 04:51 AM
Marcella Peek

In article XGybf.22736$IB.6834@dukeread11,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

If I catch some SQ reruns, I may see your episode. What was the
topic? Will they announce your name?
I'll look forward to meeting you in Houston next year, Marcella.
It is fun, inspiring, fun, educational, and, er, fun!
PAT in VA/USA

The show was called The Baby Show and it featured a lady teaching how to
make simple baby quilts from minkee and flannel. I was just the "Ask
Alex" girl at the very end. I filled in for someone else, so it wasn't
even my question. That said, I've now used up 4 of my 15 minutes of
fame. ;-) She does say my name and they even put it up on screen.

So, since my quilting buddy and I have never been to Houston; a few
questions for you pros.

How early do we need to book a hotel room?
For the first time....classes? or just be overwhelmed on the show floor?

marcella