Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 27th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Time for another Roll Call?

On Apr 23, 12:53*pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

Retired 9 years ago to the Suffolk coast in Eastern England so am of
advanced years!!

Two grown up children, neither still at home. Richard 35 this year has
lived with his girlfriend and her three children for 6 years so it seems
pretty permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 39
this year and lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central
England. Tim recently got a job flying out of Leipzig, German, so they
may move, but who knows.

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - watches birds, rings birds
for migration stats, does conservation work,etc., so I am left to
stitch, and garden. Garden is about to enter its completely weed free
week (wont last!) so perhaps next week I can sew!

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a 12 year old white cat with a grey
tabby mask, hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by his side-kick Mia who
is black and white and almost three - a nervious little thing, but in
love with Hodge. Mia isn't really interested in quilts though. Mia's
brother Kiwi shows great promise in the inspecting line. He was supposed
to be all black, hence his name (the New Zealanders will understand).
However, he is a bit of a clown so in the winter grows a long very
fluffy brownish fringe around his body, a big mane like a lion and an
enormous tail. He retains his pitch black face and legs though! In the
summer he loses the extra coat all over my creamy carpet and becomes
almost short-haired.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

Webshots is fairly up-to-date as I am behind as usual so had little to
add. The Starry Night top is there from Jessamy's swap. - where are you
Jessamy, we miss you. Piccies are in the Finished album - so I'd better
finish them!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, and as I couldn't go to
weigh-in this morning better make sure I take a bit off for next week.
Unofficially taste has changed to dark chocolate with age, but anything
will do!

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Here's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

I'm Kim in NJ - central New Jersey - not too far from several other
RCTQ folks. I began sewing as a child as lots of others here have.
My grandmother taught me crocheting as well. Since then it's been an
absolute necessity of having textiles in my life in some way, shape or
form. I sew, crochet, knit, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroider,
etc. Most of which has been all self-taught. I've only been quilting
about 8 years or so now, all self taught as well with the help of Alex
Anderson on HGTV (love that network!). I have taken a couple of
specific classes (binding and just recently paper piecing) but
otherwise it's all trial and error. I machine piece and hand quilt.
Goes back to that textile thing - have to have some kind of hand work
going all the time. Most of my quilts are queen size or larger with a
couple of crib quilts in between. So far, all for family or very
close friends.

My DH Neal and I have been married almost 18 years now (anniversary in
just a few short weeks). I'm in the 50+ age category and DH will hit
the big 50 in January. We met flying hot air balloons and continue
that activity still. I'm a private pilot and DH is commercial rated.
We fly for fun and do passenger rides for a couple of extra $$. Since
I'm currently unemployed, it helps a great deal. In fact, this summer
we will be travelling to Switzerland to go ballooning over the Alps
with folks for whom we fly passengers. It should be a great 2 weeks.
DH is now employed as Director of Safety and Security for a local
private school after 30 years in the family business that has been
going steadily downhill for the last 10-15 years. He's having a
blast. Guess I'll be back to work after all of our travelling is over
in August.

We have QI's of the 4 legged variety only - 2 chocolate labs - (Hirsh
E's) Nugget who is 12 year old male. He's getting lumpier and bumpier
by the hour but still going pretty strong for a big old man. Then we
have the Mayan Princess (Maya for short) who is our almost 5 year old
female. Nugget's parents both crossed over the Rainbow Bridge several
years ago.

My chocolate fetish is of the dark variety but since I've been on a no-
flour/no sugar 'diet' for several years now, my choices are fairly
limited.
Old April 27th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"DiMa" wrote:

I am nearly retired, OH is but wont admit to it.

OH? Ohioan? Old Husband? Original Heartbeat? Organized Hotshot?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 27th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

'Other Half' - I betcha!
..
In message , Sandy
writes
In article ,
"DiMa" wrote:

I am nearly retired, OH is but wont admit to it.

OH? Ohioan? Old Husband? Original Heartbeat? Organized Hotshot?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 27th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 27, 10:28*am, Sandy wrote:
In article ,

*"DiMa" wrote:
I am nearly retired, OH is but wont admit to it.

OH? Ohioan? Old Husband? Original Heartbeat? Organized Hotshot?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

Ornery Husband. ;)
John
Old April 27th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
VickyB

Hi, I mostly lurk but I post sometimes. So, in case any of you were
wondering who this stranger was, here goes:

I'm 50, single, and live just south of Detroit. I made my first quilt
in 1974, and just recently found it in my parents' attic. Atrocious!
LOL Let me just say that I'll never combine cotton, corduroy and
velvet in the same quilt again.

I've got four fabulous kids, very proud of all of them. Chris is 34,
and is a petty officer in the Navy, stationed at Andrews AFB in
Washington D.C. I got to go to the last inauguration while staying at
his house. Paul is a recording engineer at Paramount Studios in LA.
He's got one son, my 3rd DGS. Rachel is in Florida with her DH, and
her twin boys, my 1st and 2nd DGS. And Megan is still here in MI, with
her boyfriend, although they've been together for seven years, so he
feels like her husband to me.

As for me, I managed restaurants for 25 years, until I had a series of
minor heart attacks, mostly stress related. Anyone in the business can
relate, I'm sure. Now, I'm a photographer at a baseball stadium,
taking pictures of happy fans. MUCH better job. And I'm temporarily
living in my parents' house, as my mother had a stroke and my dad
needs some help with her.

Chocolate: the darker the better. Coffee the same way. My favorite
quilter is Jinny Beyer, I love just about everything she's ever done.
My current quilt is a double Irish chain on point, in jewel tones on
unbleached muslin. I used to sew quilts on the machine, when I was
making them as gifts or for my kids, but not anymore. I'vew
rediscovered the great qualities of hand piecing and quilting. Sure,
it takes a long time, but for me it's the process, not the product.
It'll get done eventually, and in the meantime it's very soothing to
just piece by hand. No rush. I've never tried applique, but I'm
thinking that I may get into that sometime in the near future.

That's all I can think of for now. That's me.
Old April 27th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

'Other Half' - I betcha!
.
In message , Sandy
writes
In article ,
"DiMa" wrote:

I am nearly retired, OH is but wont admit to it.

OH? Ohioan? Old Husband? Original Heartbeat? Organized Hotshot?

Aha! That makes much better sense! Thanks, Pat!

Old April 28th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Hmmm...I'm not good at writing about myself. I have a web page at
http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle and it has a little
information. I made my first quilt from instructions a co-worker had
gotten from a quilt class. My second one was the result of project
done with an on-line quilting group I stumbled on. I gradually
started reading, learning, and practicing. I still haven't taken a
class or joined a "real life" guild. (I live too far away from the
nearest ones.)

I'm retired from teaching elementary school, live in a wooded
community that has lake access for swimming and boating (I have a
hydrobike that I pedal around on the lake,) fitness classes, a
swimming pool, and tennis. I feel like I'm on vacation every day.

I share my home with Gray Soufflé, a very persnickety gray kitty who
was a stray my daughter adopted from her front yard. I have two
children and three grandchildren, but none really close by. It's
about an hour and 20 minute drive to the grandchildren.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old April 28th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

I'm Linda from PATCHogue, (ryhmes with catch hog) NY which is on Lawn
Guyland. I've been quilting since my kids said they wanted to wear
teeshirts and jeans like everyone else and can I please stop making
them beautiful dresses.

I am a special ed teacher and queen of the boxtops because our PTA
offers prizes for the class who collects the most boxtops. We have a
special needs class (not mine) with only 6 - 10 kids who don't stand a
chance, so I collect for them.

I've also been quiet lately because life has a way of catching up. In
March, my 95 year old father-in-law passed away after a brief illness.
He was the primary caregiver for my 91 year old mother-in-law who
lives an hour and a half away if no traffic. So, I've been doing a lot
of running back and forth lately. She fired a home health care worker
early on because she ate 3 pieces of pizza! I think we may have found
someone she likes now.

I am looking foward to the summer so I can become reacquainted with my
sewing machine.
Linda, Boxtop Queen
PATCHogue, NY
Old April 28th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Walker Family[_2_]

Hi from central Illinois. My name is Ramona and I've been married
almost 39 years to my DH, Dan. We have 2 lovely girls: Vicky is our
oldest and the one who just got her doctorate last year. She's been
married almost 10 years to David and they have 2 dogs and 4 cats.
Kimberly is our youngest, married to Dustin, and they are parents to
my adorable grandkids - Veronica (3) and Vinnie - soon to be one!

We have 3 QIs, all tabby cats we've gotten from shelters or rescued.
They are named Snickers, Kit Kat and Bliss - all are named after
chocolate yummies.

My DH and I are technically retired but we took a part time job being
on a sensory panel for an agribusiness company. He had worked there
as an IT computer guru for 30 years. We actually thought we were
volunteering to taste taste things and it turned out to be an actual
job. We past all the tests and were both chosen to be on a panel of
15 people. It's been fascinating and we've learned so much about the
industry, flavors, ingredients, etc.

I still love quilting and my next project is to make a quilted huppa
topper for Vicky and David's renewal of vows in August. She converted
a few years ago so they want to get married by a rabbi in the temple.
The topper will be a wall hanging after the ceremony.

Another project is my evolving craft room that needs a reorganization
really soon. Things got out of hand over the holidays so I must get
to it. I also read a lot, especially cozy mysteries. Other crafting
I do includes scrapbooking, crochet, knitting, lots of cross
stitching, sketching, beading and I'm a news junkie and internet fan.
Moni
Old April 28th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

Yep, Other Half, DH or RH Retired Husband.

Di
"Patti" wrote in message

'Other Half' - I betcha!
.
In message , Sandy
writes
In article ,
"DiMa" wrote:

I am nearly retired, OH is but wont admit to it.

OH? Ohioan? Old Husband? Original Heartbeat? Organized Hotshot?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 02:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 02:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 05:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM