Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 25th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steph

Default Time for another Roll Call?

I wanted to reply to this thread so you know who’s lurking and
enjoying the group so much! I joined the group about 2 years ago when
I started quilting. I’m a bit shy about posting but try to once and
while when I have a question or comment. Unfortunately I’m very new
and have little wisdom to share, yet(?)

I’m in my early 40s, born and raised near Rochester, NY, living in the
San Francisco bay area now for over 13 years. I live with my DB and 2
QIs. DB is a Brit from Leeds who was a computer guy but now is in art
school. I adore my 2 QI’s -12 year old felines. Both Bean (blue eyed
Abby mixed breed) and George (dark tabby) Love to help by lounging on
any fabric spread out on the floor. I almost lost Bean to a blood
clot to the spine last month but she pulled through and is now my
miracle cat!

In my 20s I did lots of counted cross stitch and some “easy” clothes
sewing. My Mom quilts and has since I was young but I just got bit by
the bug recently. Now we have a great time talking “shop” and shopping
for fabric when we’re together.

The DB and I are on an adventure traveling the Bahamas and East Coast
on a boat through December. Then I’ll return to my job as a research
study manager. I love needle turn appliqué and hand piecing. I’m
currently hand piecing a civil war repro fabric DJ and a Quilted
Diamonds. I should finish the DJ and QD within, oh, 15 years maybe,
if I’m lucky?! My goal is to finish before I retire! There is a
great guild in my area that I’d like to be more involved with when I
return from my trip.

I consider chocolate to be food of the Gods – especially milk
chocolate. Add nuts and/or fruit and, oops, I’m drooling. I’ve been
accused of using too many !!! more than once.

I’ve learned so much from the group – it’s wonderful!

Steph - SF bay area

wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

Old April 25th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Ann.. Time for another Roll Call?

Ann where in central AB are you? I'm in Blackfalds. I would love to hear
from you privately. Might require your services in the future. Just
remove QUILT to write me directly.
Take Care
joanna

Ann wrote:
My Turn! I really mostly lurk and read every day and post very
occassionally, but I've been a member here for about 7 years.

My DH and I have been married for just about 32 years, live in a small town
in central Alberta. I've been a legal secretary for 31 years and DH is a
farmer. We are both in the process of retiring from our jobs. We have 2
sons, 30 and 28. The 28 year old is married and he and his wife are
expecting their first child so I will be a Grandmother this fall so I am
very excited about that.

I have been sewing since I was a child, but quilting for over 20 years.
During the winter months I also bartend from 1-3 nights a week depending on
the facilities schedule. The wages and tips I earn from this job are what I
call my "mad money" which I spoil myself with. Last winter I bought myself
a mid-arm sewing machine and a quilting frame. So last summer I made a lot
of lap quilts to practise on. And this winter, by word of mouth, I have
gone into the custom machine quilting business. Since November I have been
averaging about 4 quilts a month which is about right for how busy I want to
be. Oh yes, I also have another job. I call bingo 1 night a week, which I
have been doing for about 15 years. More "mad money"!!

I no longer have a QI as I had to put my cat of 17 years down a few years
ago. We won't be getting another QI as we have hopes of doing more
travelling....Alaska Cruise in June for starters this summer!!!

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky (which I haven't updated in
about a year but I have to do it soon as there is a lot to add)

Old April 25th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

My name is Joanna and I have been on and off the group since the
beginning of time. I'm self taught in quilting and sewing. I actually
failed home ed in school because I couldn't sew a pair of shorts
together. Then in my early 20's started making jeans for myself cuz I
could never find a pair that fit just right. Then made fancy western
shirts cuz I couldn't afford to buy them. Then about 12 yrs ago I
decided to be a surrogate mother. And of course I just couldn't let that
baby go without giving something big to her. So I made my first quilt,
with no clue to the rules. Been quilting every since. I continue to make
my own bike shorts for sleeping in but other then that don't ask me to
actually sew. Quilting takes all of my spare time. I prefer panel baby
quilts right now but have done others.

I'm married and have two girls at home aged 5yrs and 2 yrs. Although I
am a mother or surrogate to others. I'm currently pregnant with #8
another surrogate for a wonderful couple. I've lived all over Alberta,
and a few places in Ontario. Alberta is home though, it's in my blood.
I've had many careers and currently just being mom is enough. But I will
have to go back to doing something I get paid for by the end of the year.

Currently I'm working on a baby panel quilt for this baby. I don't allow
myself to get more then 2 wip on the go. Just don't have the space. I
still have a lot to learn but I love it and will continue as long as God
allows it. Next I'm hoping to do a Nascar quilt for our bed. Both hubby
and I love Nascar. I have a whole bunch of pillow panels for it. I has
to be larger then a king size so I might send it out to be quilted. No
QI's. We gave our dogs up last year because the children were just too
hard on them and they deserved to be free. So I miss them terribly but
when the kids are a little older we will get another.

Thanx to everyone that has posted in this thread of love it.
Take Care
Joanna
Alberta
Old April 25th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy Clarke

Hi,
My name is Judy and I live on an Island in the Pacific - sounds great eh!
Actually Vancouver Island in BC Canada. In winter, we move down to Arizona
I live with DH and my beloved dog Spike. I started quilting about 3 years
ago under pressure from a friend. My first project - a king size quilt.
I've done a few wallhangings and am now doing a queen quilt. I enjoy reading
the posts as I'm always open to learning something new.

Old April 26th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

My turn!
I'm Liz, married 17 years, with a house in the Boston suburbs and a
cottage in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. We have a 13-year-old DD, and
two QIs - Midnight, a black Lab, and Jethro, a Lab-chow mix who looks
like Midnight's litter mate.
I taught myself to sew about 10 years ago, figuring a sewing machine is
just another power tool. Made lots of cute little-girl dresses, but
only Halloween costumes these days. Started reading RCTQ back then - you
guys are my guild.
I've made quite a few quilts from recycled blue jeans, backed with
polarfleece. Not rag quilts, but traditional pieced patterns. I enjoy
optical illusions and impossible objects.
This fall I went back to work as a chemist after being home since before
DD was born. I'm living proof that it's possible to go back after so
long, but work really cuts into my sewing time!
I sing soprano in a local chorus, and am approaching the ten-year
anniversary of having a benign brain tumor removed, which put an end to
the epilepsy I lived with since my early 20s.
Next!
Liz
Old April 26th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

Maybe we can have a meet-up next winter! I go just about anywhere for a
good quilt show/shop!

--
Susan
Home safe and sound and trying to unpack

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
m...
I am NE of you. Close to Leesburg, about an hour and a few minutes away.
Barbara in Central FL & SC

Old April 26th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Okay, guess it is my turn.
I am Ginger in CA, living on the central coast about an hour drive
north of Los Angeles [or 3 hours drive at least if done during
commuter hours, which seems to be all the time!]. A cyber member here
since January 1999, quilter since 1987. Cross-stitcher, needlepointer,
crocheter, writer. Specialties seem to be southwest looking and Celtic
style quilts. Really like paper piecing for the accuracy. Really
prefer the designing/color play/piecing of a quilt, and would happily
turn over the actually quilting to someone else!

Single, no QIs, working full time plus for Superior Court. Previous
working experiences include training racehorses [14 years], being an
accountant/technical sales/HR [10 years], working in an oil refinery's
coker-sulphur acid plant, and law enforcement support. Distinguished
expert marksman in rifle and pistol iron sight, both right- and left-
handed, and proud of it.

Happy to be part of this cyber family where many long time friendships
have been made and a lot of knowledge from other members has been
gleaned!

Ginger in CA

On Apr 23, 9:53*am, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

Retired 9 years ago to the Suffolk coast in Eastern England so am of
advanced years!!

Two grown up children, neither still at home. Richard 35 this year has
lived with his girlfriend and her three children for 6 years so it seems
pretty permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 39
this year and lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central
England. Tim recently got a job flying out of Leipzig, German, so they
may move, but who knows.

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - watches birds, rings birds
for migration stats, does conservation work,etc., so I am left to
stitch, and garden. Garden is about to enter its completely weed free
week (wont last!) so perhaps next week I can sew!

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a 12 year old white cat with a grey
tabby mask, hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by his side-kick Mia who
is black and white and almost three - a nervious little thing, but in
love with Hodge. Mia isn't really interested in quilts though. Mia's
brother Kiwi shows great promise in the inspecting line. He was supposed
to be all black, hence his name (the New Zealanders will understand).
However, he is a bit of a clown so in the winter grows a long very
fluffy brownish fringe around his body, a big mane like a lion and an
enormous tail. He retains his pitch black face and legs though! In the
summer he loses the extra coat all over my creamy carpet and becomes
almost short-haired.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

Webshots is fairly up-to-date as I am behind as usual so had little to
add. The Starry Night top is there from Jessamy's swap. - where are you
Jessamy, we miss you. Piccies are in the Finished album - so I'd better
finish them!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, and as I couldn't go to
weigh-in this morning better make sure I take a bit off for next week.
Unofficially taste has changed to dark chocolate with age, but anything
will do!

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Old April 26th 09, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

The closest fabric shop is Joann's Fabric & Crafts, 6 miles from my house.
I don't know of any others that would be half way for us both.. But we could
check on it!
Barbara

Old April 26th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Congratulations on the 10 year anniversary of getting the brain tumor
removed!!!! So happy it put an end to the epilepsy.
Barbara in SC

Old April 26th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

I am Debbi in SO CA. Have been a long time member of this group, but
have not been too active lately. I have been divorced for considerably
longer than I was ever married. I have to offspring-- DD is 22 graduated
from PITT last year and is currently working for The Mouse in Orlando in
the Wild Animal Park teaching about the animals and the environment. My
DS is 19, went through a lot since he was born since he was a very sick
baby. He is now in his second semester at the local community college.
He has his first girlfriend. My son had to move in with his father in
December when I had to give up my big house and move to a tiny one after
18 1/2 years. I was a stay-at-home mom for years, and now that I don't
have his child support, my temp positions would not keep him fed. I am
currently a full time student at the local community college (with my
son) getting my early childhood development teaching permit. Hard to go
back to school when you are ancient. I am also back at my temp job until
May 19, I am training the poll workers for our stupid waste of money
special election.

Debbi in SO CA

Sally Swindells wrote:
[...]

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 02:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 02:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 05:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM