Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 24th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Default Time for another Roll Call?

I'm Canadian, living in Montreal right now but have moved around the
eastern part of the country a lot. Married, two kids, and three QIs of
the feline persuasion. Passed the 50yr mark - the number still seems to
high - I'm can't be all grown up yet! I'm still working so not as much
time for quilts as I would like. My first quilt was many years ago as a
teenager - just scrap squares sewn together so I could have a quilt for
my dorm room. Then, after a long dry spell, I got started again after
picking up a quilt book in a used book store. That was my intro to chain
piecing - I thought it such a revolutionary idea at the time LOL. Then
I got books out of the library and started making bed quilts. And baby
quilts. Joined a guild to meet other quilters. Then started getting
interested in art quilts and wall hangings. I have too many ideas to
ever do them all but it sure is fun to turn them over in my mind. And
it sure is fun to see what everyone else creates. I'm glad I found this
newsgroup.
Allison
Old April 24th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Well, I guess it's my turn - I don't know if I've every actually answered a
roll call in the past, although I've been reading RCTQ since about 1994, I
think.

I've spent most of my life right here in beautiful (well, today it's
beautiful) Eastern Iowa, except for a couple of years in New Mexico and
about eight in the Phoenix area. My DH of 30 years is retired military - in
fact, he's retired from everything. He tells everyone that's why I'm still
working - so he can continue to live the life to which he's become
accustomed. We do need to talk about that! I work for a market research firm
(they gave me some fancy title, but I can never remember what it is), which
is occupying more of my time than I'd like right now. As with many
companies, we've had to make cuts in the number of employees on staff, and
those of us who are lucky enough to have a job after the cuts are
responsible for keeping up with the work that still has to be done. I've
been training staff to take on the new responsibilities, and I'm finally
starting to see some progress and hopefully not so much overtime.

But enough about that. Let's see, I have three step-children and three
step-grandchildren. We have a blended family in more ways than one. Back in
1975 (before we were married), DH's nephew married my sister. Three years
later, DH and I decided we were perfect for each other, and upon our
marriage, the guy who had been my brother-in-law by virtue of marrying my
sister now also became my nephew. And my sister became my niece-in-law. And
their kids are both our niece and nephew (through me) and our great niece
and nephew (through DH). It's fun to watch people's faces when they try to
figure out the relationship. It also works really well at holiday time - on
Thanksgiving, for instance, my sister hosts both sides of the family, so we
get to spend it with everyone at once! And because the families know each
other so well, they're really accommodating when it comes to scheduling get
togethers.

As for QIs, we currently have two of the feline variety - Spookie is almost
entirely black and is about 2-1/2 years old; Rowdy is about a year and going
through his terrible twos! Both were named by the Humane Society, and not
being particularly imaginative, plus the fact that we got Spookie during
Halloween week, we left the names as they were. That may have been a
mistake - Rowdy definitely lives up to his!

I started quilting shortly after we were married (I did all the other
needlearts Grandma taught me - knitting, cross-stitch, crochet, embroidery,
but they all went by the wayside once I started quilting). The first several
quilts I made were both hand pieced and hand quilted. Eventually I became a
machine piecer, but swore I'd NEVER machine quilt. I should know never to
say never. Not only did I start machine quilting, we invested in a longarm
so I could really get quilts done quickly. Due to my "real" job, they don't
get done quickly like I had planned, but someday they will!

I prefer traditional patterns - I have a hard time thinking outside the box
sometimes, so art quilts are beyond my realm of thinking. I do love
applique, but have done very little of it. I figure my retirement years will
be a good time for that kind of work.

I don't remember who started this thread, but I'm glad they did. I do enjoy
reading about everyone's lives and how they came to be where they are in
today's quilting world. Most days this is my only contact with quilters, and
even though I generally read more than I post, I feel like I know so many of
you almost as well as my own family!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old April 24th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I am NE of you. Close to Leesburg, about an hour and a few minutes away.
Barbara in Central FL & SC

Old April 25th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

After reading all the other responses, my life seems quite dull....but it
makes me happy! My husband and I retired 4 1/2 years ago and moved from
Virginia to Pennsylvania to be closer to our sons and grandsons. I had
just learned to quilt, although I had sewn for a long, long time. At one
time I had even worked as an Asst. Mgr. of a fabric/craft shop for about 9
years, making model garments, wall displays, etc. But when a nice lady, now
one of my best friends, offered to teach me quilting, things definitely
changed!! Her husband told my husband "things will never be the same", and
they haven't. I belong to a Guild and participate in casual quilting
get-togethers with several friends.

I have three sons. Two were born in Italy when we lived there. The third
was born in Germany. My husband worked for the US Air Force. One son is
married with two boys, who live within walking distance, one who is getting
married May 23rd, and one is single and working in NYC. We are dedicated
Penn State football fans and attend all the home games. I love yoga and
attend classes at least twice a week. Also, I work for my DIL who writes
children's books. I help her with the packing and shipping, and recently
started illustrating some of the books that will come out this year. My
husband and I bowl in a league once a week and are the tour directors for
our Seniors group. (Next week we'll be on a bus tour of Niagara Falls and
Toronto). Throw in a little babysitting, some house cleaning, laundry, and
cooking, and I keep pretty busy!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for another
Roll Call.

So here goes.

Retired 9 years ago to the Suffolk coast in Eastern England so am of
advanced years!!

Two grown up children, neither still at home. Richard 35 this year has
lived with his girlfriend and her three children for 6 years so it seems
pretty permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 39
this year and lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central
England. Tim recently got a job flying out of Leipzig, German, so they may
move, but who knows.

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - watches birds, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work,etc., so I am left to stitch, and
garden. Garden is about to enter its completely weed free week (wont
last!) so perhaps next week I can sew!

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a 12 year old white cat with a grey
tabby mask, hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by his side-kick Mia who
is black and white and almost three - a nervious little thing, but in love
with Hodge. Mia isn't really interested in quilts though. Mia's brother
Kiwi shows great promise in the inspecting line. He was supposed to be all
black, hence his name (the New Zealanders will understand). However, he is
a bit of a clown so in the winter grows a long very fluffy brownish fringe
around his body, a big mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains
his pitch black face and legs though! In the summer he loses the extra
coat all over my creamy carpet and becomes almost short-haired.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

Webshots is fairly up-to-date as I am behind as usual so had little to
add. The Starry Night top is there from Jessamy's swap. - where are you
Jessamy, we miss you. Piccies are in the Finished album - so I'd better
finish them!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, and as I couldn't go to
weigh-in this morning better make sure I take a bit off for next week.
Unofficially taste has changed to dark chocolate with age, but anything
will do!

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old April 25th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On Apr 24, 4:08*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Val, you're just a sight, you know that? *Polly

"Val" wrote in message

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Thanks, Amy. *I've wondered a long time where CNY might be.

Ohhhhhhhh, it's a PLA-A-A-ACE. *Here all this time I thought it meant
Chocolate's Naked Yearnings. Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up.

Val- Hide quoted text -

LOL!!! you gals. that's ok, i thought Denise was in NowHere'sville,
until i remembered New Hampshire is only one state away from me!
but i do have naked chocolate yearnings......

.....sorry, too much info on that one...............

amy in CNY

"i'm so far behind i think i'm first..."
Old April 25th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I was wondering the same thing Sandy. I kept looking at the email addy &
the signature, till my eyes crossed & I said - okay - I give up!

Pauline
Northern California

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
Patti wrote:

I'll come out of lurkdom to add another brit to this branch of the
thread.

I'm Karen, mum of two teens, describes as "an engineer on hormones" by
my DH
(If he had wanted a domesticated wife he shouldn't havemarried an
engineer)

Okay, I'm really puzzled. How did Karen manage to post as our Pat on the
Hill?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old April 25th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I mostly lurk nowdays, but here's my story:

Born in Clearwater, Florida; grew up in Cory, Indiana; lived in Williams,
Arizona for 4 years and have lived in Idaho since 1974.

Started sewing at the age of nine in 4-H. No one that I knew as a kid
quilted. My grandmother made comforters. Ugly thick things - I have no
recollection of what she used for batting, nor where she got the ugly scraps
of fabric she used to make them, but they WERE warm!

Sewed clothing only until I made my first quilt for my first granddaughter
who will be 27 in September. Have made many, many quilts since then.
Mostly make Project Linus blankets now, except for the occasional quilt for
a new great-grandchild. I still haven't finished the quilt I started for my
granddaughter who graduated from Texas State University last August because
I hate the fabric she picked out. Just can't get motivated to get going on
it. I'm the coordinator for our local Project Linus chapter so that keeps
me pretty busy.

I have 3 kids, 12 grandkids, 2 step grandkids, 1 great-grandson, 1 step
great-granddaughter who was born 5 weeks early and spent a couple weeks in
the NICU before she could go home. Although, my DH is there step
dad/grandpa the grandkids all consider him their "real" grandpa!

QI's - one dog Sandy who is approx 16 yeats old & who knows how many cats -
we live on a farm - cats come and go! Two that mostly live in the house,
one that moves inside in the winter. The rest are outside cats.

We both retired in 1999 and took two "big" trips after retiring - 5 week
trip in 1999 to Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (went to the Houston Quilt
Show that year) and a 45 day trip to Alaska in 2001. That was my dream
trip - I've wanted to drive the Alaskan Highway and see Alaska since I was a
teenager - and that was a lot of years ago!

My DH and I used to camp a lot and have been going to the Sun Valley Jazz
Jamboree every fall for the past nine years. He is dealing with severe
health problems now - has great difficulty in swallowing (can only eat
things like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc.) and has
completely lost his ability to speak - we communicate by him writing notes.
He also is getting weaker and wobbly on his feet - starts physical therapy
for that next week. So, looks like our traveling days are probably over.
He has an appointment at the University of Utah Medical Center for
diagnostic tests in June since our local doctors haven't been able to come
up with a definitive diagnosis.

Donna in SW Idaho

Old April 25th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Donna in Idaho wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, Donna. I hope you and your DH get some answers about his
health problems! That's got to be incredibly stressful.

Michelle in NV
Old April 25th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Donna, my prayers and warm thoughts are with you and your DH & family. Sure
hope the doctors figure what is wrong with him and then decide on what it
will take to cure him.
Barbara in SC

Old April 25th 09, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ann

My Turn! I really mostly lurk and read every day and post very
occassionally, but I've been a member here for about 7 years.

My DH and I have been married for just about 32 years, live in a small town
in central Alberta. I've been a legal secretary for 31 years and DH is a
farmer. We are both in the process of retiring from our jobs. We have 2
sons, 30 and 28. The 28 year old is married and he and his wife are
expecting their first child so I will be a Grandmother this fall so I am
very excited about that.

I have been sewing since I was a child, but quilting for over 20 years.
During the winter months I also bartend from 1-3 nights a week depending on
the facilities schedule. The wages and tips I earn from this job are what I
call my "mad money" which I spoil myself with. Last winter I bought myself
a mid-arm sewing machine and a quilting frame. So last summer I made a lot
of lap quilts to practise on. And this winter, by word of mouth, I have
gone into the custom machine quilting business. Since November I have been
averaging about 4 quilts a month which is about right for how busy I want to
be. Oh yes, I also have another job. I call bingo 1 night a week, which I
have been doing for about 15 years. More "mad money"!!

I no longer have a QI as I had to put my cat of 17 years down a few years
ago. We won't be getting another QI as we have hopes of doing more
travelling....Alaska Cruise in June for starters this summer!!!

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky (which I haven't updated in
about a year but I have to do it soon as there is a lot to add)

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 02:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 02:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 05:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM