Totally OT trash can liners

Old August 11th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Default Totally OT trash can liners

geez, so many great ideas. some we already do here, but i love the
cereal bag idea.
my dad mows my lawn, but he has a mulcher for the clippings so they
get mulched as he mows.
our area does recycling too, but only paper, plastic, glass and tin
cans. soda pop bottles and cans have a deposit, so we take them to the
grocery to turn in and get the deposit back.
i also like to save the onion sac netting. a couple of them wadded
together make great scrubbies for the pots and pans. and the plastic
containers from the Crisco brand shortening with the snap on lids? i
like them to separate the little do-dads in my sewing cabinet, like:
bobbins, etc.

amy in CNY
Old August 11th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

We recycle almost everything in Kingston. We have blue and grey bins, and
they are picked up once a week on alternate weeks. In the fall, we will be
starting a green bin program. It will take items usually placed in a
compost bin (I live in a townhouse complex, and we aren't allowed a compost
bin). When that gets up and running, I think our actual garbage collection
will be once every two weeks. I could do that now if it weren't for the
garden waste.
When we head to Florida for the winter, the only recycling is for
newspapers. Aluminum cans are collected by two members of our community to
fund birthday and holiday parties at a local group home. The previous
garbage company used to collect cans and bottles, but it was discovered that
they were taking all the carefully recycled items to the dump! Our current
contractor doesn't do recycling! :-(

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:

You don't need to defend yourself -why doesn't your community offer
more recycling? That's the real issue!
Roberta in D

Of course it is. I don't know why they don't -- and they don't even make
doing the small amount of recycling that we *can* do easy. Our bins are
small (certainly too small for the bi-weekly pickup) and become heavy
and unwieldy to get out to the curb on pickup day.

I have a good friend who lives in Phoenix, and she has a *wheeled* can
-- enormous -- that was provided for her recyclables.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:15:49 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

In article ,
Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:

Good grief! 8 gallons is about the size of our entire garbage bin,
which gets emptied every 2nd week and contains all the trash we don't
recycle.
Roberta in D

In my own defense, Roberta, the 8-gallon bag has just as much hanging

on
the outside of the wastebasket as there is inside. G But since DH
likes to keep cramming things inside past the point of "full", I need
the extra -- and I use part of the extra to tie knots to keep

everything
contained in the outside garbage.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old August 11th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Not much in the way of recycling where I live either. I was grown and
married for awhile before we even got trash hauling. We live in strip mine
area and it was a simple matter to haul your trash to one of the designated
area dumps to take your trash. Then somebody decided that probably wasn't a
very good idea.

I am having a hard time remember what we used before trash bags. Have they
always been with us?

Cindy

"teleflora" wrote in message
I use Wal-Mart sacks in all my bathroom trashcans, but there is no way
those teeny bags are big enough for my kitchen! I have a normal, human
sized trash can but I use the larger 30 gallon trash bags because we have
a tendency to balance trash until right before it falls out. "We" also
line the counter beside the trash can with stuff like empty milk cartons,
pop bottles, etc. The bigger trash bags give me the room I need. I use
bags without built in handles for this because they are just a little
bigger. I tie them in a knot, makes them easier to carry.

As you can tell, I've delved into this quite deeply. I am the only person
in the family who apparently knows how to take out the trash.

I had a friend who used to work at a facility that made all kinds of bags.
She got them free and shared them with me. Huge. You could use them as a
body bag if you had to.

Cindy

"Taria" wrote in message
I have a question about using plastic bags. It seems many of you
have reusable bags that you pack you groceries in. I don't but I do
re-use the plastic grocery bags to line my trash can. (can is made to
'fit' these bags. So if you don't bring home plastic what do
you use to line your kitchen trash can with? I have asked a few
folks and it seems that they actually buy trash can liners which
seems worse than re-using grocery store bags. How do you deal
with this?
I warned you it was totally OT!
Taria

Old August 11th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Sherry" wrote in message
As I get older, I find I have turned into my grandmother and am
completely unable
to throw away a nice plastic sack. Even bread sacks. I fold them
neatly and put them
in a drawer. And let's not even talk about boxes. I can't throw a nice
lidded box away
to save my life. If I do, I end up getting it out of the trash. I
never did that when I was young.

Sherry

************
My grandma never met a cardboard box she didn't like. I used to get
embarrased with her at the grocery store. We'd come out with tons of boxes.

My thing appears to be cardboard. I love a good, big, flat piece of
cardboard. You never know ... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Cindy

Old August 11th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I do remember my mom buying paper liners for trash...ours was picked
up weekly in town and only was 25 cents a week. A neighbor saved $$$$
by burning her papers...burying her garbage ( what ever she couldn't feed
her
dog...saving jars and tins for the trash man that would come to her house
once a month !!..She knew how to save !! She really was good
at being careful because she was so frugal. Heated her hot water once a
week ..
and if youwanted a cup of tea, she would heat up exactly one cup of water
...not
just pop on a teakettle...etc !!...

Old August 11th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Crushing Totally OT trash can liners

Howdy!

Park on a slight incline (or flat drive, if you're strong enough to
shove the car a bit); place item behind the wheel of the car,
shift gear into neutral and let it roll a tiny bit, until you feel that
crunch that lets you know the food item is now crumbs. Brake & park.
No gas required.
Works well for peppermint candy, too.
Not recommended for use around children or other small critters,
ex-husbands or other stupid adults.

R/Sandy- surely there's a way to use this technique to flatten difficult
quilt seams, where 8 points come together (I know someone who
used a hammer for that, her personal Quilt Tool of choice)

On 8/11/08 12:20 AM, in article , "Leslie &
The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

And don't forget to amuse your neighbors on Thanksgiving and Christmas when
you need cracker crumbs for the turkey stuffing- you can double bag the
crackers and drive over them! Makes lovely crumbs with just a couple of
passes. But then with the price of gasoline maybe not so much now-a-days.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO with a gravel driveway and no more backing over
the cracker bag

Old August 11th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tigg

On Aug 10, 8:41*pm, "Gen" wrote:
We used to put our newspapers in the re-cycling bin, until I got a
newsletter from the Cat Welfare Assoc. *They want newspapers for the litter
pans. *All the pans in their shelter get changed daily, so they need lots of
papers. *I imagine shelters in other areas might want the same.
Gen

My Mom used to put the newspapers out with the recycling, now she just
saves them and takes them to my brother. He uses them in the dog's
litter box. Makes me wonder if I should change what I do with Amber
but I don't think I have room for the smallest dog litter box, not to
mention that she'd just shred the paper anyway (little Monkey). I use
potty pads, and those have to go in a frame to keep her from using
them as toys, shredding them all over the apartment. Maybe if my
bathroom was bigger, but it's not so no actual litter box here.

They do curbside recycling here at the complex as well, but I'm
cramped for space and just don't know where I'd put a bin for cans and
one for plastic and one for paper/cardboard (has to be broken into
groups, can't just put it all in one bin for them to sort out). If I
can figure out a way to do it, I will but I'm so limited on space
right now, I'm not sure how I'll get it done.

Hugs,
Tigg
Old August 12th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

My small town doesn't offer curbside recycline either. I take my newspapers
to work, for use as cage liners for the wildlife ward, and am spotty with
the rest of it. Aluminum cans get put in a bag and tossed by the side of the
street; there is a gentleman that roams the neighborhood on his homemade
bicycle and ollects them. As for other metal, plastic and glass, I just saw
in Joann's yesterday a mesh laundry hamper that might serve me well as a
recycle container. The local dump has recycle bins, but as in-town
residents, we mysteriously no longer have rights to the dump (small town
politics, I have to assume). There is another set of recycle bins just down
the street, the trick is getting there while the gate is unlocked. I'd
recycle a LOT more if it were easier to do.
--
Debi

Education is when you read the instructions. Experience is what you get when
you don't.

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
You don't need to defend yourself -why doesn't your community offer
more recycling? That's the real issue!
Roberta in D

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:15:49 -0700, Sandy

Old August 12th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hi Debbie, Eustis, FL offers recycling, but not for the mobile home or RV
Parks. So we have our own program going. We have dumpsters to recycle
newspapers (the money goes toard the recreation fund), and we have bins to
recycle allum cans ( money goes toward rec equipment). I would recycle more
if it were available.

My SC town has recycle plastic bins at each house. I also have my own
because we have a lot to recycle. One bin for paper and one for plastic
jugs and metal.
Barbara in SC

Old August 12th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

I'm in Palm Bay, Fl. We have trash/garbage pick up twice a week, yard
waste once a week and recycle once a week with plastic bins furnished.
Works well for me.
Anna Belle

Trash Bags WOW! Amber Rowe Marketplace 0 December 13th 05 10:35 PM
OT Rant on Trash OT Linda2 Beads 10 July 8th 04 05:55 PM
Totally totally off topic Bachelor Party KJ Quilting 12 June 5th 04 03:54 PM