OT something smells

Old July 26th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT something smells

Just in case you missed it - today the newspeople were telling us about the
danger of some scented things. You already knew what an impossible
challenge it was to buy much for cleaning that didn't come with an
assortment of scents that would gag a goat. It's worse than that.
Manufacturers are Not required to state on the container exactly what
they've used to produce their scents.
I won't launch into the tale about the time I brought home laundry
detergent that caused the laundry room cabinet to curdle and melt on the
floor. We'll move on past that.
Some 'scents' contain benzene which can cause pancreatic cancer. Other
scents contain other stuff, not named, and can cause other ills, some like
headaches and burning eyes, - some deadly.
I thought the scented things were merely offensive; had no idea that
they could kill us. Just thought you needed to know. Polly

Old July 26th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Believe me, Polly, I know! Unfortunately, most people don't realize
'clean' doesn't have a scent. What's worse is the number of differing
scents that people wear each day: soap, shampoo, deodorant,
toothpaste, perfume/aftershave, hair spray, make-up, dry cleaned
clothing, scented dryer sheet/laundry detergent, the list is endless
and this is all before leaving home every day. Even if manufacturers
were forced to list ingredients - you could bet your mansion that they
would use the most complicated scientific/techno-babble language
imaginable and charge extra for the larger label and printing costs.
I think that MSDS information has to be made available upon request (I
think that I have the initials correct) - data sheets for every
chemical product used in industry and commercially - sometimes the
ingredients are easy to understand but the language of the whole thing
is incomprehensible. A micro amount of even the most toxic chemical
is usually allowable by regulators but it only takes a micro amount
sometimes to do the damage that lasts a life-time.
One of the worst reactions that I had while working: vinegar used in
the floor cleaning solution during the winter months because it helped
to remove salt stains carried into the hospital on snowy boots.
jennellh

Old July 26th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Vinegar? plain old vinegar? You're kidding. That's what they were
recommending instead of Ocean Breeze Lemon Alfalfa. Polly

Old July 26th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Yes, plain ole vinegar! The cleaner was coming into the lab and using
the same mop that had vinegar residue on it from the main corridors -
the bucket water was clear - he had been warned not to use chemical
cleaners in my area but no one had thought to change the mop head. As
I said, a minute amount when you consider how diluted it would have
been but still enough to choke me. One of the best cleaning products
for me to use now is Mr Clean magic eraser - I buy them when they are
sale and cut off small sections - does a fantastic job on the glass
stove top. I haul out the shark steam cleaner when I want to do a
deep cleaning around home. Some days I can use 'regular' cleaning
products but only with plenty of ventilation. I am unable to use the
laundry room in my building (my sister does my weekly laundry) ....
the building staff know to warn me in advance of any heavy cleaning/
painting, etc in the commong areas .... when I exit my apartment, I
always carry a carbon filter mask with me ... there have been air
quality problems at the opposite end of my building due to exhausts -
that is the 'working' end where the laundry, garbage collection,
moving bay, etc. are located. Had I chosen to move into one of those
apartments 20+ years ago - I would have been forced to vacate because
of my sensitivities. jennellh

"jennellh" wrote in message

[...]

they could kill us. Just thought you needed to know. Polly- Hide quoted text -

Old July 26th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

It does seem that the scenters are out to get us at every turn. A quilter
who was in here trimming a heap of appliqués asked me what on earth that
perfume was - it turned out that the offender was the trash can liner.
Somebody's decided that even those must be doused. Polly

"jennellh" wroteYes, plain ole vinegar! The cleaner was coming into the
[...]

On Jul 26, 12:02 am, "Polly Esther" wrote Vinegar? plain old vinegar?
You're kidding. That's what they were
recommending instead of Ocean Breeze Lemon Alfalfa. Polly

"jennellh" wrote Believe me, Polly, I know! Unfortunately, most people

Old July 26th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

Maybe I'll be okay. Being with DH has forced me to do without scents in many
things I enjoyed, mostly fabric softener. He has allergies to such things so
consequently I wash clothing with unscented detergents and no fs. No
smellies in the house, except the few cleaning products we have that have
them. And ow, I have a hard time going down the laundry aisle in the grocery
store to get to the unscented things because of the barrage of smells from
the other products there...
--
Debi

Education is when you read the instructions. Experience is what you get when
you don't.

Old July 26th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_3_]

Polly Esther wrote:
Just in case you missed it - today the newspeople were telling us about the
danger of some scented things. You already knew what an impossible
challenge it was to buy much for cleaning that didn't come with an
assortment of scents that would gag a goat.
I thought the scented things were merely offensive; had no idea that
they could kill us. Just thought you needed to know. Polly

Polly,

I cannot stand the scent of the "unscented" deodorants that are being
sold. I have no idea of what the smell could be but I had a recent
experience at the grocery store with someone who was nearby. And when I
changed aisles it seemed the person followed me, I even tried skipping
ahead to the other end of the store but they caught up. ;(

Judie
Old July 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I have a receipe for home made laundry soap that I will be glad to send you,
but I don't know how to post to this news group, but I will gladly send you.
Just hit reply to this message.
Barbara in SC

Old July 27th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:25:41 -0400, "Debi Matlack"
wrote:

Maybe I'll be okay. Being with DH has forced me to do without scents in many
things I enjoyed, mostly fabric softener. He has allergies to such things so
consequently I wash clothing with unscented detergents and no fs. No
smellies in the house, except the few cleaning products we have that have
them. And ow, I have a hard time going down the laundry aisle in the grocery
store to get to the unscented things because of the barrage of smells from
the other products there...

The unscented laundry products are always in the middle of the isle. I
have to send someone else down the isle to get mine in some stores
because the isle is too long for me to make the trip without getting a
migraine.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old July 27th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I've switched to Charlie's Soap for my laundry. http://www.charliesoap.com/
I think it does a nice job of cleaning my clothes without a lot of extras.
And it's one less thing to buy at the grocery store. I just order it
online.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Pretty smells spinninglilac Yarn 16 May 6th 06 07:25 AM
Off Topic - DD smells! Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 April 14th 04 11:26 PM
Lampwork -- This one smells right.... BeckiBead Beads 0 April 10th 04 05:27 AM
Ot Oil smells on wools Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 10 January 16th 04 07:06 AM