VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

Old March 6th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

I have tried to write it out understandably without making it and
failed. I need to double check my quantities.
So I will make it today and have DH write it down as I go.
His response to the task: "Oh dear. I have to watch and write down the
recipe. What a tragedy." *drool* "Will you make it with fried onions
underneath?" *begging puppy eyes*

NightMist

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:32:05 -0600, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:

No fair mentioning something like that and not offering a recipe,
NightMist!!

Please share? The whole "light cornbread that nigh unto picks up the
buttermilk and floats away with it" is too durn intriguing and yummy to let
you slide that easily!!

*mouth watering*

I'm not *allowed* to make a meal that doesn't include meat. Hubby's of the
generation/upbringing that if there's no meat, it's not a meal, it's a
*light* snack. I've even tried sneaking in soy and no joy. Which is a huge
shame ... not only is he overweight (by about ...hmmmmm ... 20? 30 pounds?
Enough to drive him crazy), but he also has high blood pressure.

Diets in our house usually last just long enough for all the nice greens
I've bought to start wilting.
Though I am able to sneak baby spinach into his sammies instead of lettuce!!
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:31:52 -0600, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:

Okay, have you ever tried homemade (easy peasy) black beans and

cornbread???
YUM-O!!!!

Black beans (usually served over rice) is a snap to make -- but takes a

few
hours of simmering on the stove. To make a really, really nummy batch all
you need (really) is some black beans (rinsed and soaked), a couple of

ham
hocks, a few spices and lotsa water. About 4 hours later (simmering

time --
but I have done it in a crock pot 'cause I'm lazy) you have the nummiest
black beans EVER. Little trouble, lotsa flavor.

OK, vegetarians can do this without ham, by just using carrots and
celery like you would for black bean soup, only without adding so much
water as to make soup. I often toss in a pinch of chervil to take off
the bitter curse that DH swears black beans have.

Oh, and always remember (if you don't already know) to let the cornbread
batter sit for a few minutes on the counter after you pour it in the pan
BEFORE you pop it in the oven. It'll rise nice and fluffier when you do!!

Fluffy corn bread is good sometimes. With beans we generally prefer a
more pone-like cornbread at my house. Though when being kind to
hangover sufferers, I make a light cornbread that nigh unto picks up
the buttermilk and floats away with it.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 6th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

*beggy puppy dog eyes*
You know ... I would be MORE than happy to write down the recipe. Tell your
hubby he's being a bit of a stinker ... tasting is MORE than worth
writing!!!! Any way you look at it, he's getting the best part of the
deal!!!

(waiting anxiously, mouth watering, fidgeting!!)

Old March 8th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Well that was a useful effort, NOT!
DH got his cornbread, but I got a written recipe with quantities like
"4 knives of shortening".

OK, here is my best guess, try it on your own responsability! (G)

Preheat the oven to 400F

2 cups corn meal
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 or 4 teaspoons of baking powder
two eggs beaten
a cup and some more of milk, some more being more than a quarter cup,
and less than a half.
around a quarter cup of melted shortening

First fry something so your skillet is greased, I generally use my #8
Griswold skillet. I think that would be around a 10 or 12 inch round
pan, but it is considerably higher walled than a cake pan. I wasn't
going to do the math but I did anyway, if my calculations are correct,
you are going to need an 11x17 rectangular pan if you don't use a
skillet. If you have one use the skillet. I don't know how it would
come out if the pan isn't thick and warm.

Stir the dry together, then mix the egg, milk, and melted shortening
together, then combine the two mixtures wet into dry. Stir it up to
make sure it is wetted through and get it in the pan fast.
Bake it for 20-25 minutes or until it is done.

Yes I fried onions and left them in the pan to suit DH. (G)
And since I ran out of baking powder I used soda and sour salt to
substitute for about half of it (now you know why that measurement is
uncertain!). I do believe it came up lighter than usual just on
acount of that. I shall have to try that substitution some more.
After I have beaten DH sufficiently to make him recall what he did
with the cream of tarter of course.

NightMist
I just know he cleaned somethng with it and left it deity knows where

Old March 9th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

It's a great food for after the holidays too. Brings your system back
down to earth after all that rich holiday food.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old March 9th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:28:18 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Debra, would you mind terribly if I added some pepperoni to the Mac and
Cheese? Polly

Now there's a combination I hadn't thought of. I'll have to try it. I
have been known to add tuna and a bit of fine chopped onion myself,
but DH thinks that it is horrible to add anything at all.
Old March 9th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

dont know bout the other ones.
i am sure of how big a dollop is tho.
j.

"Debra" wrote...
I understand that measurement totally. It fits right in
with: a tad,
a little, some, and a dollop.

Old March 10th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Now I Gotta Make This!!!

oy.....

amy in CNY
Old March 24th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lois Hansen

I always put cut up hot dogs in mac & cheese.

Old March 24th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

So do I, Lois. To make it even more 'gourmet' I quickly stir fry the sliced
franks with chopped onions.
PAT, gourmet cook in Virginian