VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

Old March 4th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia in Petoskey

Default VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

On Mar 3, 11:28*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Debra, would you mind terribly if I added some pepperoni to the Mac and
Cheese? *Polly

Kidney beans and/or black olive slices are better Polly...really...

~T~
Old March 4th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

mmmmmmmmm, nice choices, Tricia.
i might also be persuaded to add some finely chopped celery
at the last minute so as not to cook it.
i like the crunch. hmmm, maybe green pepper would work
better, ok, red and green just for the colour factor.
i'm the biggest fan of olives, black or gree and stuffed
with pimento or cloves of garlic.
ok, i'm a huge fan of garlic and sweet chili sauce too.
for me i figure i'm not gonna get any fatter if i have
enough of the tastebud BOING each day and/or some crunchy
stuff in the meals...i love celery and raisin with some kind
of dressing on it.
i love nuts in food.
dh has started adding a bit of dried fig in anything stewy
with beef mostly.
i read/heard somewhere that the figs help with digestion or
absorbtion of something in the meal.
i also read somewhere that cinnamon helps with
digestion/bodys-use of sugar so anything with sugar in it
gets cinammon here, even coffee, oops not tea, ewwwwwww.
i figure one way or another if i can adhere to enough of
those bits of health/nutrition info i might stave off the
next round of tyre. ok ok, so i live in hope. its all i got
at this point, hope, lol.
the more i think about it as i type, seems to me if i treat
food like picking fabrics for quilts i should be ok. focus
food, various textures and colours in the side dishes, yup,
thats just what i'll do. )
thanks for making me think about it like that, Trish.
j.

"Tricia in Petoskey" wrote...

Old March 4th 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:
Dear silly young Hoover rushed in and
gobbled up the onions. From the look on his face he felt very triumphant
for getting the foody-prize, but not too thrilled with the taste of it!

Leslie & The Furbabies in 'Misery', USA

LOL I'd have loved to have seen his face Leslie.

My vote would have been for suet dumplings baked on the top of the
stew. Pop stew in oven prove dish. Make dumplings and roll into
flatish balls and pop on top, then bake without lid. Yummy crispy
dumpling stew. With a box of gaviscon for afters.
I hope you enjoyed your 'Mess' after all.

Elly
Old March 4th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

not really answering your question but I've been told that potatoes
are an excellent 'treatment' for migraine headaches. and no, I don't
mean mash em and spread em on your forehead. (:

Musicmaker
Old March 4th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Or chunks of ham and then I won't have to make anything else but a salad?

Butterfly (Needing an easy out tonight--I'M QUILTING--the same two rows that
I was LAST week)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Debra, would you mind terribly if I added some pepperoni to the Mac and
Cheese? Polly

"Debra" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:40:42 -0600, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Oh, lima beans??? NASTY!!! :-P

Leslie & The Furbabies in 'Misery", USA

Never said you had to use 'em, just that they could be used. I
wouldn't eat your stew either 'cause I firmly believe celery is evil.
Of course we could both toss out our stews and have some wonderful
home made Mac & Cheese instead.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/

Old March 4th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

My mom makes the Pinto beans with a Ham hocky and cornbread on the
side. MMMM. I hated them when i was a kid, but now....love 'em. The
cornbread is soooo bad for my cholestrol tho. Good thing we only have
them once in a while!!

Beef stew, just that, you can put just about anything in stew. i'm
going to try the sweetpotatoes next time round. sounds different. but
good.

this is getting me hungry....

amy in CNY (where the rain is forecast to turn to sleet and freeze
later....it never ends, does it?)
Old March 4th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Okay, have you ever tried homemade (easy peasy) black beans and cornbread???
YUM-O!!!!

Black beans (usually served over rice) is a snap to make -- but takes a few
hours of simmering on the stove. To make a really, really nummy batch all
you need (really) is some black beans (rinsed and soaked), a couple of ham
hocks, a few spices and lotsa water. About 4 hours later (simmering time --
but I have done it in a crock pot 'cause I'm lazy) you have the nummiest
black beans EVER. Little trouble, lotsa flavor.

And Honey, when you slather those beans all over some toasty hot cornbread?
Well, you have a thick ol'slice of Heaven!!

Let me know if you want my BB recipe ...

Oh, and always remember (if you don't already know) to let the cornbread
batter sit for a few minutes on the counter after you pour it in the pan
BEFORE you pop it in the oven. It'll rise nice and fluffier when you do!!

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old March 4th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

just got here, what spices?
j.

"SewVeryCreative" wrote...

Old March 4th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:31:52 -0600, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:

Okay, have you ever tried homemade (easy peasy) black beans and cornbread???
YUM-O!!!!

Black beans (usually served over rice) is a snap to make -- but takes a few
hours of simmering on the stove. To make a really, really nummy batch all
you need (really) is some black beans (rinsed and soaked), a couple of ham
hocks, a few spices and lotsa water. About 4 hours later (simmering time --
but I have done it in a crock pot 'cause I'm lazy) you have the nummiest
black beans EVER. Little trouble, lotsa flavor.

OK, vegetarians can do this without ham, by just using carrots and
celery like you would for black bean soup, only without adding so much
water as to make soup. I often toss in a pinch of chervil to take off
the bitter curse that DH swears black beans have.

Oh, and always remember (if you don't already know) to let the cornbread
batter sit for a few minutes on the counter after you pour it in the pan
BEFORE you pop it in the oven. It'll rise nice and fluffier when you do!!

Fluffy corn bread is good sometimes. With beans we generally prefer a
more pone-like cornbread at my house. Though when being kind to
hangover sufferers, I make a light cornbread that nigh unto picks up
the buttermilk and floats away with it.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 4th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

No fair mentioning something like that and not offering a recipe,
NightMist!!

Please share? The whole "light cornbread that nigh unto picks up the
buttermilk and floats away with it" is too durn intriguing and yummy to let
you slide that easily!!

*mouth watering*

I'm not *allowed* to make a meal that doesn't include meat. Hubby's of the
generation/upbringing that if there's no meat, it's not a meal, it's a
*light* snack. I've even tried sneaking in soy and no joy. Which is a huge
shame ... not only is he overweight (by about ...hmmmmm ... 20? 30 pounds?
Enough to drive him crazy), but he also has high blood pressure.

Diets in our house usually last just long enough for all the nice greens
I've bought to start wilting.
Though I am able to sneak baby spinach into his sammies instead of lettuce!!