VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

Old March 3rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default VERY, VERY OT Potatoes!!!

Oh yeah, as to what else can go in....
Just about any vegetable can get tossed in once the roots are about
cooked through and the onions simmered down. A bag of mixed veggies
from the freezer will do it a world of good if it is a bit sparse.
Since we are vegetarians our stews usually contain a whole medly of
vegetables, from rutabagas to shucky beans to greens to whatever is
either in season or in the freezer. With meat in I don't know as you
would want to toss in dry soup beans, they are one of our staples.

Sometime in the future try combining sauted shallots, green split
peas, toasted salted sunflower seed, a handful of whole oats, and
season with tarragon and a really weeny pinch of dillweed. Sounds
wierd, but with fresh bread and butter it is wonderful.

NightMist
you can tell we discovered that one when the cupboard was bare.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:23:41 -0600, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Yesterday was gorgeous- 77 degrees and a blue sky with some pretty puffy
clouds. I spent all afternoon cleaning my truck- hand washed and dried,
vacuumed, glass all cleaned, chrome polished, inside reorganized... you get
the picture. So today is thunderstorms- tons of rain for the past 24 hrs.
The storm is just now turning to sleet and snow- we are expecting 1 inch of
ice and 8-10 inches of snow. Usually this part of MO. gets one or two snows
of 2-3 inches and only one ice storm each winter but this winter has been
one nasty storm after the other. I'm bummed to say the least. And the dogs
are tracking in tons of mud and I *finally* gave the house a good cleaning
on Friday- and now that's history.

On to the potatoes.... I need comfort food!!! I cut up two lovely sirloin
steaks (I don't eat much beef so that's all I had) to make some stew. Got
the meat browned and the bread machine started and discovered I have no
potatoes! I do NOT want to take my nice clean truck out of the garage and
into this muck and get it all covered in mud and salt. So, I have one large
sweet potato and a box of instant mashed potatoes. What do I put in my stew
besides the meat and carrots and onions and celery? Should I dare to chance
ruining it with the sweet potato or just shake some instant potatoes in it
for some potato taste? Any ideas? I'm really kinda bummed over this..... I
was soooooo looking forward to fresh bread and stew for dinner.

Leslie & The Furbabies in yucky MISERABLE MO.- often referred to as 'Misery'
instead of Missouri!

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 3rd 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

All this is making me hungry!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"NightMist" wrote in message

Make your stew sans potatos, then mix up some of the instant potatos
and spread them over the top. Dot with butter or sprinkle with cheese
and slide it on into the oven just to brown the taters. Good excuse
to turn on the oven on a cold day.(G)

Of course if the stew is thin, then you want to stir in some of the
instant potatos to thicken it instead. If you wind up using fewer
roots in than you imagined, it sometimes happens that it comes out too
thin.

NightMist

Old March 3rd 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I am using the instant potatoes to thicken it and then may serve it over
more mashed taters- haven't quite decided yet. On a funny side note-
whenever I cook I make a BIG mess. The HairyButt Gang stands at attention
on the outer limits of the kitchen watching me very closely. When I drop
something they will all three rush in and snatch up the prize- the quickest
one wins. When I was chopping the onions my knife slipped and pushed a
handful of onions on the floor. Dear silly young Hoover rushed in and
gobbled up the onions. From the look on his face he felt very triumphant
for getting the foody-prize, but not too thrilled with the taste of it!

Leslie & The Furbabies in 'Misery', USA

Old March 4th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:13:36 -0600, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:

For me, comfort food is (please don't laugh!!) cornbread smothered in pinto
beans and butter!! Chicken 'n' dumplings is a VERY close second!!

Hugs!!

Corn bread an' pintos is a fine meal. I'll come to your house for a
comfort meal any day.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old March 4th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

So, I have one large
sweet potato and a box of instant mashed potatoes. What do I put in my stew
besides the meat and carrots and onions and celery?

Leave out the taters. Taters are just a starch. you can replace them
with noodles or rice. I vote noodles, preferably elbows or shells.
Veggies to add--corn, black eyed peas, lima beans, green beans or
shelly beans, green peas, and more carrots. I love carrots.

Old March 4th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

THANK you!!!! No one else in my family (kids or hubby) feel the same way.

When I was growing up, if life tossed an obstacle or disappointment our way,
we'd heat up a pan of cornbread, make a big pot of pinto beans, and drown
our sorrows in a heaping plate!! For me, pinto beans and cornbread is not
only comforting, but it feels like ... *home*. My parents live over 1000
miles away (in VA -- that's where I grew up!!), but once my kitchen smells
like cornbread, it feels like my sweet mom is sitting there with me!!! And
everything is magically not as bad as it was!!!

So anytime you want, Debra, you come on over and I'll have a heaping plate
of homey comfort waiting for you!!! And of course, a big ol' slab of pie
or cake to chase it down!! :P
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old March 4th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Too funny that you should write about making stew, Leslie ... tomorrow is
"Crock Pot Day" and on the menu is pork shoulder in a beef stew-like sauce
with carrots, taters, onions, and celery!! And of course, some nice, crusty
bread to sop up the juices!!

Yummmmmm!!! Great meal with so VERY little work!! Hubby's already salivating
over it!!

Old March 4th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:40:42 -0600, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Oh, lima beans??? NASTY!!! :-P

Leslie & The Furbabies in 'Misery", USA

Never said you had to use 'em, just that they could be used. I
wouldn't eat your stew either 'cause I firmly believe celery is evil.
Of course we could both toss out our stews and have some wonderful
home made Mac & Cheese instead.
Old March 4th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Debra, would you mind terribly if I added some pepperoni to the Mac and
Cheese? Polly

"Debra" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:40:42 -0600, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."

Oh, lima beans??? NASTY!!! :-P