OT Big Bird emergencies

Old November 21st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT Big Bird emergencies

I had to go find my Julia Child book on the Way to Cook. We hadn't been
able to find a turkey the right size until yesterday and it is frozen harder
than . . . well, you know.
And so - if you just must thaw a turkey quickly, Miss Julia says to
submerge the well-wrapped bird in a sink full of cold water for about 3
hours.
She does not say how to keep it submerged.
I put my heaviest mixing bowl on top and the rascal still floated.
Next weight on top of the bowl on top of the Big Bird is my iron
skillet. Ah. Success. Polly

Old November 21st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I don't know about that three hours part- I think it takes more like
overnight. I don't weight mine down. I put the breast side in the water-
the meaty parts of the back are so much 'thinner' that it thaws much more
quickly than the breast side- the back doesn't need to be submerged. I do
put a clean dish cloth over the turkey's back so it doesn't dry out, pick up
any flies or- heaven forbid!- any stray floating-on-air doggie hairs.
Wishing you a wonderful, blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 21st 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Is a bird in the sink worth 2 in the freezer?

Good luck with your big bird Polly.
Taria

Old November 21st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

I don't know about that three hours part- I think it takes more like
overnight. ... snipped......
Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

I agree with Leslie -- unless you have a wee little turkey (anything
under 20# is simply a big chicken that *tastes* like turkey) it will
take considerably longer than 3 hours in a sink of water. Overnight is
most likely and changing out the water every few hours will help. I
have to keep my turkey covered (usually with the top to the roaster pan
because I have kitties who dearly LOVE poultry -- LOL! I don't usually
bother with having it weighed down but I do put it in the sink breast
side down, like Leslie does. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old November 21st 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

For a minute there I thought you were talking about Sesame Street! lol
--
Estelle UK
Gallagher one one at btinternet.com

You are never too old to become the person you should have been!
My photos are here!
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old November 21st 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

LOL, Taria. Yes, indeed. The trick worked just fine. I'm just dealing with
turkey breast - only 8 pounds. Polly

Old November 21st 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Good one Taria!
..
In message 1wY0j.273$Xg.272@trnddc06, Taria
writes
Is a bird in the sink worth 2 in the freezer?

Good luck with your big bird Polly.
Taria

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 22nd 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:26:51 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I had to go find my Julia Child book on the Way to Cook. We hadn't been
able to find a turkey the right size until yesterday and it is frozen harder
than . . . well, you know.
And so - if you just must thaw a turkey quickly, Miss Julia says to
submerge the well-wrapped bird in a sink full of cold water for about 3
hours.
She does not say how to keep it submerged.
I put my heaviest mixing bowl on top and the rascal still floated.
Next weight on top of the bowl on top of the Big Bird is my iron
skillet. Ah. Success. Polly

The thaw will go quicker if you can let the water spigot dribble a
little (cold water only). It keeps the water in the sink moving
slightly and somehow that makes it thaw things quicker.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 22nd 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

1. I don't have anything now that would be able to handle a bird over
10 pounds.

2. Yep, immerse in cold water in sink works, like Tia Mary said,
remember to keep changing out the water. Keeping it covered always
meant that someone would constantly be looking under the lid to see
what was there [okay, you looked once, it is the same thing every
other time you checked], or poking their finger to see if the poor
bird had thawed out yet [no, I just started it 2 hours ago]

My favorite way to cook a turkey was in an oven roasting bag - the
dang thing was so tender it fell apart!

Ginger in CA

Old November 22nd 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
My favorite way to cook a turkey was in an oven roasting bag - the
dang thing was so tender it fell apart!

Ginger in CA

Here, here on the oven roasting bag......next best invention to the Rotary
cutter

Val

Bird brain? Addie Otto Needlework 9 October 25th 05 09:13 PM
OT OT OT In Case of Emergencies (mainly UK...) Paul & Suzie Beckwith Quilting 16 July 18th 05 02:09 AM
Bird Houses Howard Osborne Marketplace 0 September 26th 04 04:55 AM