Focus on Design: Attic Windows

Old April 14th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

Default Focus on Design: Attic Windows

Thank you, Pat.

--
Mary
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
: Mary: Thanks for the show and tell. I especially like
: the primary colors in the one with the bird print.
: PAT
:
: maryd wrote:
: I've made 2.
: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53386571txkSvS and
: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53386571BTyrsJ. I
have
: a panel of the Nativity that I thought I would cut and make into an
Attic
: Windows. A few years ago while in Ohio, a friend bought me a book all
on
: attic windows with various layouts.
:

Old April 14th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

It's straight out of the pattern
http://www.piecesbewithyou.com/patterns_shadow_detail.htm

Susan has shown this pattern on Simply Quilts.

Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Julia: Oh, I really like your setting!! PAT

Julia in MN wrote:

I made a wallhanging from Susan Cleveland's "Shadow Box" pattern
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/AutumnShadowBox.JPG The photo
is before quilting. I used a backing with an autumn leaves print and
machine quilted from the back using a fairly heavy, copper-colored
metallic thread in the bobbin and following the outline of the leaves
in the backing. I did SITD around the windows with clear monofilament
thread before doing the quilting from the back, so that most of that
quilting was inside the "windows" and in the border.

I thought Susan's pattern was very easy to understand and gave a good
explanation of y-seams, partial seams, and mitered borders. I actually
made the top in a class taught by Susan, but I'm positive I would not
have had any trouble with the pattern if I had not taken the class.
Her classes are a lot of fun, though.

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old April 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Sandy: Nope! You did not choose wrong colors. That
maroon and rose is stunning. I have to LOL because I
used the initials ATQ several times when I WANTED to
use AWQ .... I think careless use of Spell Check got me
in trouble.
PAT

Oops! I didn't even blink -- just wrote ATQ without thinking! LOL!
Hmm... it's for ATtic windows Quilt, of course. And thanks for the
compliment!

Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

What do you think? Have you made a ATQ, or is one on
your list?

Aha! Another FoD topic! Thanks, Pat -- I really enjoy reading about
these when you post one.

As for me, I have made only one ATQ (he
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1/applique.html#First), but I
enjoyed making it and might make another one day. I probably didn't
choose quite the right colors for my "windows", but fabric choices were
limited back then, especially in the small town where I lived. I still
like it, though, because of the subject matter. VBG I also like the
Y-seam technique better -- I think it looks much nicer, and that's what
I used.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old April 14th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

WitchyStitcher wrote:
I did this one as a raffle quilt for the Buddy Project - a pet
adoption foundation. I wanted to show off the focus fabrics. It seems
after looking at others that I might have put my sashings on the wrong
side. Does it make a difference?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...57017138IbQdOv

I do like Attic Windows with that extra sashing strip - somehow it makes
the window look more substantial like a real one.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old April 15th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Patti wrote:
Beautiful, Melinda.
I see what you mean - but I think we might each be referring to a
different seam position. Your way - with the seam across the 'glass'
square, is certainly great, with your appliqu?s over it.

I know you were referring to using HST's for the window frame :-)
The way I did mine has probably been done before, I just thought
I'd show there is a cheat way to get good point matching if you
don't mind a bit of applique.
http://melinda-mullen.fotopic.net

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old April 15th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Interesting.... I don't think I've seen this design before, it's not really
something I can see myself doing, it's just not my style, I don't much go in
for novelty fabrics. However, I do love KJs birds, so I will have to file it
at the back of my mind, one day maybe I will have a block that calls for it.

Anne

Old April 15th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

dont know what is wrong here but my browser says it cant find your page on
fotopic.net?
i clicked on the link, also try'd copy/paste, waited til later in the day
and it just wont work.
waaaaaaaaaa.
i really want to see all the attic windows.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"melinda" wrote...

Old April 15th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

yup what Sally said.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sally Swindells" wrote...

Old April 16th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

nzlstar* wrote:
dont know what is wrong here but my browser says it cant find your page on
fotopic.net?
i clicked on the link, also try'd copy/paste, waited til later in the day
and it just wont work.
waaaaaaaaaa.
i really want to see all the attic windows.
jeanne

I just checked, I can see it fine. ???

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Attic Windows Quilting Pat in Virginia Quilting 10 January 24th 07 09:31 PM
Attic Windows perspective frood Quilting 15 March 13th 06 02:59 PM
Crooked attic windows merrystitch Quilting 10 July 4th 04 10:41 PM
Question about Attic Windows Quilting 17 January 23rd 04 04:50 PM
Attic Windows are fun! Anne in CA Quilting 3 October 8th 03 11:27 AM