prayers please

Old November 13th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

Default current status: prayers please

fwiw... mum got the Toyota Sienna last spring and LOVEs it. has driven
from TX to PA and back and all over TX with it and from TX to NM and back
as well with no problems and lots of room (even for her 6'6" grandson and
6'3" son)

does have the nifty airbags etc.

Kellie

"Sartorresartus" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have been researching other cars if mine is declared a total loss.

Have sent in requests for price quotes on both new and used cars, am
looking at Kia Sedona, Honda Odyssey, and Toyota Sienna

Just a thought:
Took a test drive in the Kia Sedona about two months ago. Didn't like
it. Reasons: Big, but in all the wrong places, (like economy). The
floor was flat so second row had knees well above horizontal and third
row knees were higher still, NOT comfortable for anyone adultish size.
Drove like a minibus, not a car. Visibility not wonderful. Too wide
for parking spaces in car parks. Nothing to stop luggage/ dogs/
bits-and-bobs rolling around free in the cabin. (Had a friend who did
an emergency stop to find labrador dog had slid from back to under his
legs.) Oh, and as a dog carrier, little room for a dog cage or guard
in the final third.

This is, however only MY opinion. try it for yourself. (I was SO
disappointed. I loved its spec. on paper!) I bought a Citroen C5
estate in the end. LOVE IT to bits! Mind you I only ever carry 5+3
dogs, not 7 people. It has so many safety gadgets, even _I_ was
impressed!

OTOH. Glad, gald glad you are safe and sound. Not surprised you feel
a) wobbly and b) traumatised. Give yourself time to recover your
confidence. Give yourself permission to be nervous. Then do it
anyway!

Love and support,
Nel
(Gadget Queen)
off kilter wrote:

I'm probably going to be calling my doc first thing in the morning -
nobody there to answer phones at this time. I solved the
lightheadedness by eating something, but Ken and I think I might have
knocked my glasses out of whack. I figure if I go see doc, she can
check me all over and make sure there is nothing that I'm missing.
Figured the sore spot on the top of my head is in the exact place where
I walked into the fort that Ken was building for the kids (prior to
accident, when I was wearing a hat and looking down a bit..smack, right
into a 2x4!). No sore ribs, or anything like that, but have been
totally uninterested in doing much of anything today.

Have been researching other cars if mine is declared a total loss.
Have sent in requests for price quotes on both new and used cars, am
looking at Kia Sedona, Honda Odyssey, and Toyota Sienna. Those are the
ones with the side curtain airbags, which I wanted when we bought the
caravan....after all, I have 2 youngsters that sit in the second row of
seats. Also found out how much we owe on the caravan...a bit over
$8k...so, that's what we are keeping in mind when they go to do the
appraisal. I'm not going to say anything until we find out what they
say about it, but I have a feeling there is more than a little engine
damage, which would mean a completely new engine block, and that's NOT
cheap! Ken's damage to the Buick was a little over $4k, so that is
pretty much what we are using for a basis, but his panel wasn't
completely caved into the wheel well like mine was...ah well.

We are off to Wendy's for dinner, then AWANA, then back home....Ken is
driving, I will probably have my eyes squeezed tightly closed. Have to
get back in a car sooner or later, but you can't blame me for being
scared.

Larisa

Old November 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Default prayers please

off kilter wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Akk! The things you do when my back is turned! ((((((((((Larisa))))))))))

Stay calm. Rest. Get checked over as soon as you can. Eat Bambi!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I was wondering when you'd popo up and what words of wisdom you would
have for me...lol. Just spoke with 2 rental car offices - first one
was the closest, but they had 19 reservations before mine, and most of
them were also from car-deer accidents!! Said they would *try* to have
a car for me, and completely understood that I would NOT take anything
small. Just as a backup, I called the next closest office and
explained what was going on and asked if they could see what they had
available - either a very LARGE car, minivan, or SUV....I refuse to go
in a compact car especially after Saturday night, and with having to
transport 2 children with karate gear 3 days this week. They said they
would look and call me back.

In the interim, I spoke with the insurance adjuster to see if I could
use a different company if the one that they use didn't have any cars
this morning. He said that wasn't a problem at all and if they needed
to set up a direct billing with Liberty Mutual (insurance company) they
would be able to do it. As soon as I got off the phone with him, the
first rental office called to say they would have a minivan for me at
915 this morning. SO......we are getting ready to head out and run to
the preschool, then the rental car office, then probably back home,
even though I am supposed to be going to a meeting this morning sigh.

Will be talking with the adjuster later today, once he has a chance to
review the claim information and (hopefully) get out to take a look at
the car. I'm still afraid that the car will be declared a total
loss...it was the newest car I ever owned...but, it IS just a car
sigh.

Larisa, off to preschool and a rental car

My computer wizard's hubby was, as she put it, 'mugged by a moose' back
in the spring. His car sustained more damage* on the side the deer hit
(in reality a fallow deer! There are in wild moose in Kent... ) than on
the side that went into the ditch/hedge/tree! This is an ordinary
saloon car, rather than anything like an suv. The occupants of the car
were shaken, not stirred. No damage to people. Very scary in the dark,
however, and a good job they were on their way TOO the pub rather than home!

They had no worries with the insurance as this was a company lease car
he had for work, and they dealt with all that.

Take care! Get a big horn to honk at those moose!

*Replacement front nearside wing, nearside front passenger door, rear
nearside passenger door, rear nearside wing, front grill, front offside
wing, electric mirrors (heated and motorized on both!), and re-jigging
the central locking and sound system! Took 3 weeks. NOT his most
expensive claim so far on this car... Oops!
Old November 13th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Kate Dicey wrote:
off kilter wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

OK, this remind me of a Ron White thing: he is talking about his cousin,
the hunter, who is so proud of being a real man and having hit a deer
"right between the eyes" with a bullet flying at some ridiculous speed.
Ron then says something to the effect of "Ha, that's easy! Just slow the
bullet down to 50 mph, put a little horn on it, and the deer will jump
right in front of the bullet."

Except, it is much more funny the way he tells it.

Hanne in London

Old November 13th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default O.T. Car vs. deer prayers please

Howdy!

Several independent studies (those not financed by automobile companies)
indicate that bigger cars, i.e. SUVs, are NOT safer against deer collisions.
"The lower you are the safer you are" is a common claim after crash
investigators study the accidents. In the most serious cases a moving
vehicle hits a deer, knocking the legs out from under the animal, causing
the animal to fly up or roll over the hood/bonnet of the car and into the
windshield. The bigger vehicles, in many cases the great big ol' behomoth
SUVs, tend to roll over more often than smaller cars & light trucks,
including when encountering a deer on the road. Most SUVs, yes, MOST
are less stable on the road than smaller vehicles. I won't say anything
here about Mercedes Benz ML being the exception to that rule, or how
MB has always set the standards in safety features. VBG

Having the air bags and using the seat belts is still the best protection
afforded by a vehicle in an accident.

November is the peak season for deer vs. automobile encounters. The deer
are roaming, being chased out of the woods by hunters, and they're
"in season"; Mama Dear is often followed by baby deer, so the chances of
hitting one or the other increase.
Of course, most drivers don't see the deer coming and can't avoid the
impact. However, when drivers do try to swerve or steer around the beast
the driver is liable to lose control of the vehicle and/or hit another
vehicle on that dark, dangerous road. Easy to forget to be on the
lookout, too, for the animals coming out in the dark.
This is what the crash investigators have determined.

Husband's parents lived up in the mountains in New Mexico and had to always
be aware of the wild life, esp. the deer, "roaming free." In our area,
south edge of town, we don't see deer (that's more common 20 miles south of
here) but we get more than our share of coyotes, rabbits and the very-much
dreaded skunks. We've lived on the edge of town or outside of town most of
our lives and often encounter wildlife out roaming after dark, so we just
grew up w/ an interest in this issue.
Maybe we should get out more. g

Glad you're okay.. well, mostly... Larisa.
Good luck on the next vehicle hunt. Btw, the auto industry still shows
that Honda's are about the safest cars on the road, followed closely
by Toyotas. (I don't choose to drive either brand.)
Large or compact aren't the only choices. ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy -- I don't care for venison, on the hoof or in chili ..

On 11/13/06 7:40 AM, in article
, "off kilter

Old November 13th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Several independent studies (those not financed by automobile companies)
indicate that bigger cars, i.e. SUVs, are NOT safer against deer collisions.
"The lower you are the safer you are" is a common claim after crash
investigators study the accidents. In the most serious cases a moving
vehicle hits a deer, knocking the legs out from under the animal, causing
the animal to fly up or roll over the hood/bonnet of the car and into the
windshield.

This is exactly what happened to my friend. The deer's legs ended up
inside the windshield, and almost kicked her to death. She had bad
injuries from the deer's legs, not the collision itself. Her newborn
was in the car seat in the back seat, and didn't get a scratch.

Sherry

Old November 13th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Don/Gen

Have been researching other cars if mine is declared a total loss.
Have sent in requests for price quotes on both new and used cars, am
looking at Kia Sedona, Honda Odyssey, and Toyota Sienna

Larisa, I'm so sorry you had this experience. Your life is certainly
anything but dull. I've heard that people like the Kia, but DS had such a
lemon Kia wagon, he doesn't want the grandkids in another one. We looked at
both the Honda and Toyota. Decided on the Honda. It seemed roomier, and we
really liked the second row seats for the time we transport the kids.
There's a tiny middle seat that can be removed. The 2 seats can be moved so
they are together, or left separated, with a path in the middle. We took
the back off the little seat and left it between the regular ones. It makes
a nice little table for the boys to keep movies, snacks, etc.on. The thing
that turned my DH off the Toyota was that the spare tire is under the van
and not easily accessible. The Honda's is inside the back gate area. It
used to be under the floor in the middle. That space is now a lazy susan
for storage. One can stuff a lot in there. It's a very nice handling van and
very comfortable.
Gen

Old November 13th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

From what I have been told, a car is considered totaled if the damage
is more that 70% of the value of vehicle. That is why my Mazda Tribute
had to be fixed for $8K instead of called totalled this past spring.

After hitting the deer several years ago, in a Honda CRV, I installed
deer warning whistles on the front bumper, and never had any more
probelm with animals in the roadway. I did have owls come at the
vehicle a couple times, since the high pitched noise brought them in,
but never a four-legged critter. Oh, the owls never got hit, they
veered off in time.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Ginger in CA

Old November 13th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I don't hit deer.... they hit me! I had two different pick-up trucks
hit by two different deer. Both deer got me on the side of the truck
right behind the rear wheel- one on the driver's side and one on the
passenger side. So sometimes when the driver misses the deer it still
doesn't help much.

Glad Larisa is pretty much okay.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

wrote:
off kilter
wrote:
This time it's personal. I had an accident tonight and am a bit sore
from it. I didn't go the hospital becasue there was no way for Ken to
get there with the children - DDs carseat was in the van. Bambi
decided to cross the road out of the blue....I didn't even see the deer
until it had already hit the van.

From what I can see, it is possible that they decalre it a total loss

because of all the damage - drivers side front panel is caved into the
wheel well, lights are hanging by the wires, hood and front bumper and
damaged nearly to the midpoint...and ALL the sensors came on! Air bag
didn't deploy because of the site of initial impact, but the sensor
went off, the engine light, oil light, and just about every other light
were lit up so that it looked like Christmas had come early.

Rescue personal checked me over and determined that since I had full
mobility of neck and shoulders that they really didn't need to take me
to the hospital unless I chose to go. However, both they and the
insurance lady said that, if I needed to go to the hospital tomorrow,
that they could add it to the claim for consideration.

So, I've taken Advil and have a tera-patch or whatever they are called,
on my shoulder and Ken and I are still running on adrenaline so either
we won't get to sleep or else we will both just shut off.

Good thing is that the children were NOT with me.

Thanks,
Larisa

Glad you weren't hurt. It's the time of year that deer are mating, so
they're on the move a lot. Hunters also have them stirred up. A huge
wild pig ran out in front of me on the way to church last Sunday. So I
know what you mean, they just come out of nowhere and there's hardly
time to react.

Sherry

Old November 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Several independent studies (those not financed by automobile companies)
indicate that bigger cars, i.e. SUVs, are NOT safer against deer collisions.
"The lower you are the safer you are" is a common claim after crash
investigators study the accidents. In the most serious cases a moving
vehicle hits a deer, knocking the legs out from under the animal, causing
the animal to fly up or roll over the hood/bonnet of the car and into the
windshield. The bigger vehicles, in many cases the great big ol' behomoth
SUVs, tend to roll over more often than smaller cars & light trucks,
including when encountering a deer on the road.

This also makes an inedible mess of the deer.

The doctor Marion works for is a very bad, very fast driver who spent
several years working in rural East Africa. The locals nicknamed him
"The Doctor Who Brings Meat" - usually it was an antelope but he once
got an impala (cow-sized) and that was one happy village when he arrived.

I can probably find out what kind of vehicle it was it case somebody
wants to try this for big-game safaris. Probably a long-wheelbase
Land Rover with a heavy-duty roofrack.

Old November 14th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ceridwen

((((((hugs)))))))) - you must be so sore! No multi tasking okay, just take
it easy. Please! How fortunate you were.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-Pp9n.fI...NCfp9E0UU6hGPI

"off kilter " wrote in message
oups.com...
This time it's personal. I had an accident tonight and am a bit sore
from it. I didn't go the hospital becasue there was no way for Ken to
get there with the children - DDs carseat was in the van. Bambi
decided to cross the road out of the blue....I didn't even see the deer
until it had already hit the van.

From what I can see, it is possible that they decalre it a total loss

OT - Prayers Please Mika Quilting 44 July 31st 06 05:13 PM
Need prayers, really really really need prayers Judy Kerr Needlework 2 April 4th 05 03:05 PM
Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers!! Coleen Quilting 0 August 16th 04 02:35 AM