Lesson learned the hard way...

Old September 18th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Lesson learned the hard way...

Well Jeanne - you lost me at line 5!!

But ... I *will* learn it. I'm so full of admiration (and some envy) at
the way you all click and press and there they are.
I have a beautiful camera, too ... ...
..
In message , nzlstar*
writes
here a click, there a click,everywhere a click click.
Patti the quilter had some pix to go online, EIEIOoooooo
and its done.
quick as that, honestly.
just plug that baby in.
find the software program already on the puter somewhere, use your search
thing and you're away laughing.
wont take more than a few minutes to see how easy it is.
no need to wait, hello, goodbye, i'm late, i'm late i'm late, lol.
we're all waaaaaaaaaaiting for those pix girl.
hrmph. )
hugz,
jeanne
n.b. you can get a webshots page set up in the meantime, easy peasy, in
readiness for the pix when ready. minutes is all any of all this takes. you
will amaze yourself with how clever you are. heck, if you can make a quilt,
getting pix from camera online is soooooo much easier.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks very much, Sally!
And - you realised the significance of my learning *after* end of
October gg Thank you. Not much room in my head for anything else at
the moment!
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
I don't even have to find the software. Plug it in and as quick as a
flash my piccies are downloaded, it says 'Where do you want them, and
gives me a list of where they've gone before, 'what do you want them
called?' then it says everything is done.

Then I go to where I have told Computer where to put them, and lo and
behold, it has done it properly! All under 'My Pictures' in a little
folder.

The fun comes when you play with the pictures in Paintshop Pro or
equivalent. I went to classes last year, only 5, but taught me the
basics of tweeking them.

Good luck for October Pat, and the completion of The Book.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, I have a lovely camera, C. No problem there. Usually I just hand
the camera over to DH and he does the rest. He put some onto my
computer the other day, with me sitting here, so I know it's quick and
easy. So funny when you all say 'just plug it in and there you are' ...
well .. first lesson: where to plug in gg
I will feel such a nitwit when I have learned, but DH is not a clear and
patient teacher, so I dread 'lessons' g. However ...
..
In message , Cats
writes
Patti - my "new" digital camera (about 18months old) cost
me about $140AUS and when it is connected to the computer it
downloads itself in .jpg format. It's not top-of-the-line,
but it is fine for happy snaps. And it's so fast!!

I think I picked it up on special in Target or K-Mart after
a friend fried my older "good" digital by leaving it on a
hot dashboard a couple of summers ago. ("Hot" as in 40C
plus in the shade - it melted the case! LOL)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Not sure yet which way I will go, Julia. I think there is a card reader
in the house (at least, there is an unidentified object on DH's desk!).
I do *know* there are 'ports'; but what and where they are? not yet ...
..
In message , Julia in MN
writes
If your camera uses a memory card, the easiest way to transfer the
pictures is to buy a card reader. I bought my SanDisk brand reader at
Best Buy for about $20. It plugs into a USB port on the computer. I put
the card in the reader and it acts as another drive.

Julia in MN

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 18th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Oh that is dreadful! Hopefully by the sound of it they are committed to
memory!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

wrote in message
ups.com...
After finding this group and joining up, (with a great welcome, thank
you all!), I decided to do as a few of you asked and get pictures of my
previous quilts to post. After a week of phone calls and emails, I'm
officially in mourning. Every single quilt that I've made and given
away no longer exists.

Blue maple leaves and green Ohio stars: stolen from different Navy
barracks.
Multi-color ribbons in an Amish theme: lost in a hurricane flood
Sunshine and shadows, eaten by a vicious dryer and thrown away
My brother's wedding carpenter's wheel: lost in the divorce and not in
sight anymore
Four baby quilts, loved to death (those I'm OK with)
Tumblers, my first quilt, lost in a move
Multi-color nine-patch star, "Ummm... I have no idea what I did with
that thing".

So, I've learned a lesson here. No, I'll still make quilts as gifts,
I'll probably never stop doing that. But I WILL take pictures of every
quilt I make from now on. And, since the one I'm currently working on
is for ME, I'll have at least one quilt that I know will live. After
all, how many hurricanes are going to hit Michigan??? :-)

Vicky, sadder but wiser.

Old September 18th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie

Patti wrote:
[...]

Oh Pat! Your DH is such a dear -- I know he would be patient! I just
don't believe that for a minute LOL.

Tell him from me, be kind to you, get the kitties involved....Bronnie

Old September 18th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

So sorry that your earlier quilts are unavailable for pictures, Vikki. I
learned my lesson the same way. wry grin I make sure I take pictures
now before a quilt leaves the house.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 18th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Smile!
Not when he's teaching!!
And then there's the "or else you could do it this way - - -" just when
I'd grasped Part 1 g
I'll have to be firm about baby steps.
Thanks Bronnie! and the kitties will be involved; probably outside my
study door, scratching and mewing g.
..
In message om,
Bronnie writes

Old September 18th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:35:55 +0100, Patti
wrote:

Well Jeanne - you lost me at line 5!!

But ... I *will* learn it. I'm so full of admiration (and some envy) at
the way you all click and press and there they are.
I have a beautiful camera, too ... ...

Patti, your first question to your DH should be "How does the camera
or it's removable memory connect to the computer?" That was the only
problem I had. DH had to get a specific connecting cord and hook it
to my computer, but your camera or it's removable memory might hook
directly to either your computer or your scanner or printer.

Second question is, "How do I look at and edit the pictures once they
are in the computer?" The camera may have come with specific software
or you might be able to use programs that you have used in the past. I
can use my scanner software to do editing like cropping and PC
Paintbrush for other editing, and other programs for simply viewing.

Using picture sharing websites is as easy as signing up and
downloading their software. I had no problems at all using WebShots.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

A lesson on sleeves and labels Betsy Ross Quilting 1 September 7th 06 02:54 AM
Finally learned a new stitch Marissa Undercofler Beads 0 November 2nd 03 04:55 AM
Sunday weaving lesson Trish Yarn 4 October 29th 03 01:59 AM
Lesson learned! is still-- OT Flattened! Dr. Sooz Beads 8 July 13th 03 03:18 AM
Lesson learned! is still-- OT Flattened! Dr. Sooz Beads 1 July 12th 03 06:57 PM