yet another question

Old June 26th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default yet another question

Pat in Virginia wrote:

You get credit for posting on the web? Boy, to think I took Math and
Biology Courses!
PAT

These days some colleges have courses on how to go to college. These
courses cover important information like how to use a daytimer and how
to post to a newsgroup. ~nod~

I am NOT kidding.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 27th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

blackrosequilts wrote:

Pat in Virginia wrote:

You get credit for posting on the web? Boy, to think I took Math and
Biology Courses!
PAT

These days some colleges have courses on how to go to college. These
courses cover important information like how to use a daytimer and how
to post to a newsgroup. ~nod~

I am NOT kidding.

Hubby had to take a class that was an introduction to the college and
how to take his tests/do classwork. Kind of makes sense since it is a
correspondence class and you are assigned different people for different
issues, but still...this is SO sad!!!
Old June 27th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

off kilter quilter wrote:
blackrosequilts wrote:

Pat in Virginia wrote:

You get credit for posting on the web? Boy, to think I took Math and
Biology Courses!
PAT

These days some colleges have courses on how to go to college. These
courses cover important information like how to use a daytimer and how
to post to a newsgroup. ~nod~

I am NOT kidding.

Hubby had to take a class that was an introduction to the college and
how to take his tests/do classwork. Kind of makes sense since it is a
correspondence class and you are assigned different people for different
issues, but still...this is SO sad!!!

We give "core skills tutorials" to our first year students (at
University level). They are required to attend (and do the work), but no
grade is given.

Hey, if (when) the students come to us unable to work without day to day
homework being set, we've got to teach them - the student to staff
ration in our classes is not such that we can be high school teachers
for three years.

We all wish we didn't have to do this, but rather bite the bullet in the
first year, help the students learn to help themselves and then we can
all move on to the more exiting stuff :-)

Hanne in London
(University Lecturer by profession)

Old June 27th 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
off kilter quilter wrote:
blackrosequilts wrote:

Pat in Virginia wrote:

[...]

PS. This was not meant in any way to put down HS teachers! Just that in
HS the students aren't expected to be as independent as at University.

Hanne in London

Old June 27th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In my first 6 months of grad school I shared a flat with 3 other
international students. One was a Spanish girl, whose English was
rapidly improving :-)

One evening, we were looking through the undergrad course catalogue
(somehow we found this very interesting???), and she was most indgnant
that "they" could get credit for an archery course. Puzzled, I checked
what she was talking about: the History department had a module titled
"Hunters and gatherers". Now try to explain that one with no one sharing
a native language!

Hanne in London
- wishing we didn't need to teach those core skills at quite such a core
level.

Old June 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here is a sad but true story. Yesterday was the final exam in a course I
am taking. The class has met every week, Monday afternoon, from 2:00 pm
until 5:00 pm. The final exam was scheduled for 2-5 pm.

Before the actual exam there was a survey we had to fill out about the
teacher, administered by the dept. chairman -- duration about 20-25
minutes.

Next the teacher had some "housekeeping" things to deal with and went
down her assignments list to tell people what ones they still had
outstanding and that they could get them to her by midnight today and
still get partial credit. Duration 20 minutes or so.

Then she started to tell us how much she enjoyed having us in class and
opportunities for over the summer -- would probably have been a 5 minute
thing, had she been allowed to finish.

A female student (late teens or early twenty something) stood up and
said "how much longer is THIS going to go on?" and could she PLEASE have
her exam NOW because she had scheduled a doctor's appointment at *4:00*
in a town about 30 minutes away!

I, and several others, were just appalled! As we were straggling up to
the front to hand in our papers later, almost everyone commented on the
rudeness and apologized to the teacher *except* Ms Rudeness herself. So sad.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Old June 27th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: yet another question

I agree that the way the student asked was rather rude, but it seems to
me that it was not real considerate of the teacher to take 45 minutes or
more of final exam time for other stuff. If the student could not
schedule her appointment for another time she could have talked to the
teacher in advance about taking her test early or somehow let her know
that she had to leave early.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old June 27th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

But those 45 minutes were *scheduled* as part of the 3 hours. Nothing
cut into the time available to do the test. That was *scheduled* time
too. Its just the point of a student making another appointment for
DURING previously scheduled exam time and then being rude to the teacher
for not fitting into the *student's* perception of how class time should
be spent.

Fictional scenario -- a guest lecturer scheduled to talk for an hour
during a 3 hour class and the student stating that she had better things
to do than listen to that and could we all proceed to the part of the
class she was interested in so she could just leave and do her more
important stuff.

Who schedules a doctor checkup at the same time as a final exam???

Old June 28th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default O.T. education deficit yet another question

Howdy!

You can take a pig out of the sty
but you can't remove the stink.

You can put a twit in the classroom
but you can't make her think.

Miz Thang's education deficit is showing. Again.

Ragmop/Sandy