yet another question

Old June 26th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default yet another question

OKay, fellow quilters,

I've got another one for you.....when you have several projects - none
of which actually has a concrete deadline (ie: baby quilt for shower in
late august/early september, but no real date), how do you work your way
through them??

I am working on the top for the baby quilt mentioned, just because it
was the easiest out of everything that is waiting for me. I also have
several little girl dresses, pants for a 6yo boy, knit/fleece hats to
make, 3 more quilts to do for Soldiers Angels, 2 more chairs to refinish
and recover, a wallhanging to make for our kitchen/dining
room.......none of these actually has a deadline, so where do YOU think
I should start??

Larisa, going through a serious brain-fart stage right now
Old June 26th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

off kilter quilter wrote:
OKay, fellow quilters,

I've got another one for you.....when you have several projects - none
of which actually has a concrete deadline (ie: baby quilt for shower in
late august/early september, but no real date), how do you work your way
through them??

I am working on the top for the baby quilt mentioned, just because it
was the easiest out of everything that is waiting for me. I also have
several little girl dresses, pants for a 6yo boy, knit/fleece hats to
make, 3 more quilts to do for Soldiers Angels, 2 more chairs to refinish
and recover, a wallhanging to make for our kitchen/dining
room.......none of these actually has a deadline, so where do YOU think
I should start??

Larisa, going through a serious brain-fart stage right now

Lots of options:

Go by deadline (even if the deadlines are far in the future)

Start with the "smallest" project - to get a sense of having finished
_something_

Start with the one you most want to do

Or something for yourself/your family

Usually, I end up going by deadline, even if far in the future. But when
I mess around enough, deadline creep up and I end up going by deadlines
not so far in the future :-)

Also means that in 4 years of quilting I have only finished one (1)
quilt for myself, and that was a holiday project at a time when I was
very PO'ed with the world in general and my family in particular, so
needed something to take my mind of things. I'm renting, so can't
redecorate - other friends use this for therapy :-)

Hanne in London
Old June 26th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Whatever makes you the happiest at the moment! I'd probably finish off
the baby quilt first, and then have some fun with something frilly.
Chairs...they can wait if you've been getting along without them thus
far. I'd save the wallhanging for a really creative, wanna do type of
feeling....

Know what I mean?

The way you knock things out though, I can't see you taking more than a
week to accomplish this whole list and creating a new one though....

Dannielle

Old June 26th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

give everything a number - do it randomly

put the numbers in a "hat" (whatever shape that may come in either real hat
or paper bag)

get one of the KIDS to pull a number for you (then you can't cheat LOL)

do that project

then pull the next number by way of the other child

the kids will love telling mom what to do next and enjoy seeing what mom is
going to make next as that is for them a surprise as they don't know what
has what number

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 26th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

These things all do have deadlines, you just don't know what those dates are
yet! I'd make a list of each project along with the date you'd like to have
it finished, just to organize your thoughts. (Are those summer
dresses/pants? Fleece hats for winter? etc.) And that baby quilt would
probably be 1st on my list too :-)
Roberta in D

Old June 26th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi,
i'm just replying to this message as part of my college course sorry
for any inconvience

angel

Old June 26th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Thanks, I knew I could count on you!! WAS: yet another question

OKay, as usual, you all have come up with some great suggestions.
Dannielle, I won't have this all finished in a week, it's been all over
the floor for over 2 weeks now...heck, probably closer to a month!!

The kids clothing is for them to have when school starts back up in
August, but the weather doesn't get that cold until beginning of
NOvember or thereabouts....so that puts the fleece pants for DS further
back on the list. I have made a dress for DD as well as a long fleece
coat so that she has something to wear wiht dresses.

The knit/fleece hats are part of the things I am making for Soldiers
Angels, so they can get done as I get to them....haven't made a single
one yet, so not totally sure how long they take to do.

After reading through everyone's suggestions, I think I have an order
somewhat worked out..not set in stone or anything, but looking at what
will take the longest and what I can zip right through (barring any
other house projects - have to wait for dry days to finish the trim in
DDs room).

1-finish baby quilt
2-work on some hats
3-do the quick jumpers that DD picked the fabric out for
4-compile all the blocks for the second baby quilt - this is the one
that I am hosting, that DHs coworkers are making blocks for - present
for same lady as #1 (#1 is strictly from me, though)
5-start cutting the bits for the mariners compass wallhanging (will be
looking for templates as I work through the other projects)
5a-work on SOldiers Angels blankets of hope as I need breaks from the
clothing and template work
6-refinish chairs before Thanksgiving because that will be when we
actually need them for hte first time - unless friend decides she is
ready to take our old table and benches for her new house before
then...in which case, I'll have to rush to get them finished

So, I think that's the rough schedule...but you know the saying..."man
plans, God laughs"

Larisa, very grateful for the help