OT Big Bird emergencies

Old November 24th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Turkey time OT Big Bird

yep, I should have closed my eyes and scrolled down. LOL
SO, eating vegetarian has no relation to eating healthy?
The sweet potatoes sound great and safe enough to make up for the
corn though.

By the time I was to the corn I was still smiling about 'the woman
who does for him' comment. It just is none of my business what she
does and how. : )
Taria

Old November 24th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

About those 'left overs' ...

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs !

Happy Thanksgiving Leftovers!

PAT in Virginia, home of the first Thanksgiving Feast
in the New World!
Old November 25th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:08:46 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:09:00 -0500, Debra
wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:29:18 GMT,
(NightMist)
wrote:

Lessee here, this year we had an Enchanted Broccoli Forest, pineapple
glazed sweetpotatos, baked squash, fried corn, dressing, a yorkshire
pudding over assorted veggies, garlic mashed potatos, onion gravy,
fresh baked bread, green salad, cranberry sauce (the kind that slides
out of a can all in a piece), cranberry ice, punkin pie, banana
pudding, real whipped cream, and homemade ice cream (turtle, raspberry
truffle, or vanilla). We also had two daughters, one son, a boyfriend,
the old gentleman from up the street whose kids never called, plus the
three of us.
Nope, no turkey.
Supper today is the leftovers that didn't get packed off (G)

who needs a turkey in the midst of such yummyness?

More importantly, where would you find room in your tummy for the
turkey?

Not doing turkey, we have opted for variety. Something that is
someones favorite is sure to turn up on the table. Grant you guests
are often boggled. (G) However, The Boyfriend discovered that he likes
dressing made outside of a bird better than that made inside. The
Elder Neighbor had yorkshire pudding for the first time and decided it
is a fine thing indeed! He carried off a recipe for The Woman Who Does
For Him, and had already reinvented toad in the hole in his head by
the time he went home.

Never heard of fried corn before. How do you make it? Oh, and I
wouldn't mind having the recipe for Enchanted Broccoli Forest and
pineapple glazed sweet potatoes if you don't mind sharing them.

Like baked corn, fried corn is just one of those things that either
your family does or it doesn't do. I grew up with fried, DH grew up
with baked, we split the difference and have it alternately on
holidays (G)
Fried corn is pretty simple, (Taria should close her eyes and scroll
down now!) You fry about a pound of corn kernals in a stick or so of
butter, many people say it's not right unless you use bacon grease,
and gradually sprinkle over a half cup or a cup of sugar depending on
how sweet you like it and what kind of sugar you are using. When it
is hot through and there are no sugar granules it is done. I seem to
recall once or twice gramma using a couple of glops of mollasses
instead of sugar.

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest comes from the cookbook of the same
name. We are a little more generous with the cheese and brocoli than
the recipe calls for. Here is the recipe at the publisher's site:

http://www.tenspeed.com/page.php3?ftr=127

Well isn't that something to perk up the look of a buffet. It's not a
dish for stodgy old folks, but I've got some friends I want to spring
it on.

Pineapple glazed sweet potatos are also fairly simple, had to think a
minute about how much of what goes in for I usually just look at the
pan and put in enough. I use either vacumn packed or fresh sweet
potatos, so I am not sure how you would adjust for the kind in syrup.
With fresh I usually bake them until they are about half cooked, then
take them out, let them cool, then skin them and cut them up. That is
more important with big old yams than with sweet potatos, but it is a
habit.

Take a regular can of juice packed crushed pinapple and drain the
juice, reserving the juice. Put the sweet potatos and the juice in a
covered baking dish (mine is marked 1.6 liter). Toss the potatos
around a bit to make sure they are covered in the juice. Mix half the
pineapple with about two tablespoons of brown sugar, let it sit for 5
minutes or so, then stir it up and stir it into the sweet potatos.
Save the other half of the pineapple for something else.
Make sure everything is well distributed in the pan, dab on a couple
of tablespoons of butter, then cover and bake at 350 for around half
an hour, a little more for fresh potatos.

Oh, saying how much sweet potato would be a goodness I suppose!
Around two regular cans of the vacum packed kind, half a dozen or
thereabouts of fresh, and it works just fine with two or three yams.
You might need a bit more liquid with yams though.

NightMist

The sweet potatoes sound scrumptious and the fried corn sounds like a
quickie stove top variation of corn pudding without the custardy part.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 25th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:49:37 GMT, Taria
wrote:

yep, I should have closed my eyes and scrolled down. LOL
SO, eating vegetarian has no relation to eating healthy?

Nope. You can be vegan and have a diet more unhealthy than if you ate
burgers all your life.

The sweet potatoes sound great and safe enough to make up for the
corn though.

By the time I was to the corn I was still smiling about 'the woman
who does for him' comment. It just is none of my business what she
does and how. : )
Taria

Oh, Taria! You are so funny!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 25th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:20:51 -0500, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

About those 'left overs' ...

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs !

Happy Thanksgiving Leftovers!

PAT in Virginia, home of the first Thanksgiving Feast
in the New World!

But if the taters n gravy have no lumps, how does anyone know they
didn't come out of a box or can? ;-D

Duckin' fer cover,
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 25th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

wrote:

yep, I should have closed my eyes and scrolled down. LOL
SO, eating vegetarian has no relation to eating healthy?
The sweet potatoes sound great and safe enough to make up for the
corn though.

In truth I think the corn was probably the highest fat dish on the
table, at least per serving.
We do tend to real butter and cream and such, especially around the
holidys. Aside from feast days we usually go through no more than 2
pounds of butter month though, so it is not so bad. We also usually
use a whey based milk replacer that contains less fat than skim milk
on a daily basis because half the household is lactose intolerant. So
I reckon it evens out.

By the time I was to the corn I was still smiling about 'the woman
who does for him' comment. It just is none of my business what she
does and how. : )

Don't you love how some elders phrase things?

NightMist

--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with
Old November 25th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

If you drown them in good gravy, nobody will ever know. Polly

"Debra" wrote But if the taters n gravy have no lumps, how does anyone

Old November 25th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

my dh makes mashed potatoes from real potatoes and they're
never lumpy.
stores dont even have boxed kind here, thank goodness.
i tasted them at my moms back in 2001 when i stayed in her
place and how she ate those amazed me.
maybe its just being used to the real thing, we're spoiled
by them. )
i'm sure if i was hungry enough but while theres real
potatoes around,
i'll peel and mash'em, even if i gotta use a fork to do it.
we always have either roast leg of lamb, leg of pork or a
ham for any holidays here.
ok, now i'm getting hungry. why do you always do that to me.
ya'd think i'd know better and bypass these threads.
argh,
jeanne

Old November 25th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

when we have a leg of whatever, dh also makes real gravy.
tho he does cheat when its just a bit of chicken.
we do real cheese sauce for our mac'n'cheese here too.
i was born/raised in calif forever ago but i was there when
the packets of this and that were starting on the market
shelves but i much prefer knowing how and making real sauces
from scratch.
its not that hard to do afterall, heck if i can do it, has
to be easy, eh. lol.
cheers,
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old November 25th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

When my hands were really 'bad' we tried every kind of instant mash that was
on the market. (I have 2 unopened boxes).....even tried those County crock
that you heat in the microwave--those are 'ok' IF you get the ones without
pepper(Cant' have pepper). Even tried the canned (sliced, diced, whole) and
they will barely pass in stew.
PT and more PT and now I can peel OR chop but not do both.
Spoilt we are.

Butterfly (hoping those in the garden produce this year--those are THE
BESTESTEST. I grew up in potato country)

Bird brain? Addie Otto Needlework 9 October 25th 05 09:13 PM
OT OT OT In Case of Emergencies (mainly UK...) Paul & Suzie Beckwith Quilting 16 July 18th 05 02:09 AM
Bird Houses Howard Osborne Marketplace 0 September 26th 04 04:55 AM