OT teach me a word

Old October 11th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default OT teach me a word

Val wrote:
'snipped' in binary is
01010011010011100100100101010000010100000100010101 000100

each letter or character is a byte (8 bits) .....snipped.......
I'm glad he enjoyed that....I'm surprised there are people still around who
remember Space Odyssey!

Val

OOOO -- I'm starting to remember what Dh told me about binary. It
would be something like the letter A would be 00000000 and then B would
be 00000001 and then C would be 00000010 and D is 00000100 so that each
letter has 8 "places" of either a 0 or a 1 and the 1 moves as you move
through the 8 places -- or something like that. Once you get to
whichever letter would be 10000000, the next letter would be 10000001
and then 10000010, 10000100, 10001000, etc. Is that ***sort of*** how
it works? I know that's probably VERY simplistic but if that's kinda
close to what really happens then it makes it a bit easier for us
non-techno folks to understand -- sort of :-).
Thanks for all of the gold stars -- gotta remember that I have been
married to an enginerd for upwards of 36 years and some of the stuff he
knows has sort of rubbed off on MOI -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 11th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default OT Jobs [was teach me a word]

Val, I went on to bust the sterotypes of many male-dominated fields of
the time. I was the first female box-boy in a supermarket chain in our
tri-county area, at age 16. First female Standbred racehorse trainer
licensed by USTA [US Trotting Association]. First female to work the
Coker Division in a Chevron Oil Refinery. First female and non-sworn
person to be petitioned to join a police SWAT team in this tri-county
area.

Yep, I ruffled a lot of feathers, many male egos, and pround to be a
red-headed rablle rouser!

My favorite quote? "Labels? Labels are for files. Labels are are for
clothes. Labels are not for people."

Ginger in CA
still shaking them all up!

On Oct 11, 1:15 pm, "Val" wrote:
"Ginger in CA" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Back in the
late 60's when computers took up a whole room, the military tried to
recruit me since I scored so high on some tests that"normally the boys
are the only ones to understand" [their words not mine] and had to do
with computers.

Which is why I bagged the computer career. That was before EEOC. It was the
era of the Good 'ol Boys. I was the only woman programmer out of 62 people.
I was the supervising programmer of my team of 8 and we were the lead team.
I made $600.00 a month less than the lowest paid man on my team. I was paid
almost the same as the women who were key punch operators. When I requested
to be paid the same as other programming team leaders the answer
was.......but you're a woman, these men have families to support.....I was a
single mother and had a family to support as well, plus I had at least two
or more years of higher education than any of "the boys"......well, you
should get married if you can't take care of yourself and child, then you'll
probably get pregnant and you won't be able to work anymore, no raise. Back
then it was T.S. if you were a woman, not much you could do about the equal
work equal pay thing. That's when I quit and for the next 5 years went on to
kick the doors open of the Teamster's Union. "Driver" wasn't gender specific
on the pay scale.

Val

Old October 11th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

would be something like the letter A would be 00000000 and then B would be
00000001 and then C would be 00000010 and

~ ~

Is that ***sort of*** how it works? I know that's probably VERY simplistic
but if that's kinda close to what really happens then it makes it a bit
easier for us non-techno folks to understand -- sort of :-).

You done grasped the concept, girl! Your BBs have ceased to roll *applause*
Tell hubby I said you deserve a nice dinner out......some place with cloth
napkins.....right after an LQS spree.

Val

Old October 11th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Technical details below snipped message -- probably more than anybody
wants to know ...

Tia Mary wrote:
Val wrote:
'snipped' in binary is
01010011010011100100100101010000010100000100010101 000100

each letter or character is a byte (8 bits) .....snipped.......
I'm glad he enjoyed that....I'm surprised there are people still
around who remember Space Odyssey!

Val

OOOO -- I'm starting to remember what Dh told me about binary. It
would be something like the letter A would be 00000000 and then B would
be 00000001 and then C would be 00000010 and D is 00000100 so that each
letter has 8 "places" of either a 0 or a 1 and the 1 moves as you move
through the 8 places -- or something like that. Once you get to
whichever letter would be 10000000, the next letter would be 10000001
and then 10000010, 10000100, 10001000, etc. Is that ***sort of*** how
it works?

Almost but not quite. You add one for each increment by changing the
last digit. If it is zero, you change it to one and you are done. If it
is one, you change it to zero and then go to the next digit to the left.
If it is zero, you change it to one, and you're done. If it is one, you
repeat the above steps until you finally hit a zero that you can change
to a one. So if you start with 10000000, the sequence would be 10000001,
10000010, 10000011, 10000100, 1000101, 1000110, 1000111, 1001000, etc.
Of course those binary numbers actually represent something else in
computers that use 8-bit ASCII encoding (like most computers except
those made by IBM). There are 255 different combinations in 8 bits, so
there are 255 different characters that can be represented. Upper case
letters are have a different code than lower case ones. Upper case A is
actually 01000001 binary (decimal 65) and lower case a is represented by
01100001 (decimal 97). There is a table of the ASCII codes at
http://www.ascii.cl/ The table shows the decimal equivalent. I happen
to have a calculator that converts between decimal (base 10), binary
(base 2), octal (base 8), and hexadecimal (base 16) leftover from my
days as a programmer; it was useful in reading hexadecimal dumps. There
is also a conversion table at http://ascii.cl/conversion.htm

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 11th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Val wrote:
"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Back in the
late 60's when computers took up a whole room, the military tried to
recruit me since I scored so high on some tests that"normally the boys
are the only ones to understand" [their words not mine] and had to do
with computers.

Which is why I bagged the computer career. That was before EEOC. It was the
era of the Good 'ol Boys. I was the only woman programmer out of 62 people.

I didn't get into the computer stuff until I was in my upper 30's (in
the early '80's. When I went back to college in 1981, I had the
impression that my CompSci classes were pretty well balanced
gender-wise. Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. I heard a news
story today concerning the fact that too many women are not considering
CompSci and the field is once again becoming male-dominated.

Old October 12th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yep, I ruffled a lot of feathers, many male egos, and pround to be a
red-headed rablle rouser!

Ginger in CA
still shaking them all up!

Good grief, do you think this is a "red headed thing"?

You were the box boy!.....I was the pump boy at the local Texaco station,
when my GFs were babysitting.....when you could still say fill-er up and get
your windows washed and oil checked.
The computer career was covered, there were a few firsts as well.
Member of the only all female crewed halibut fishing boat in Alaska
First woman to get into the heavy construction division of the
Teamsters....as an actual "teamster" driver
First woman in our state to drive a truck or operate heavy equipment for any
municipality.
First woman to win 1st place at the Dump Truck Rodeo and ONLY person to win
4 years in a row. The record still stand

Oh Ginger, too bad we live so far apart, I'm sure we could swap some great
stories and you'd have a ball getting together with our group of Old Broads
for spur of the moment lunches. The name came about when a woman I've know
30 years (she was 1st woman lineman for the power co,), looked around the
table and says....."Who the hell are all these old broads, I thought I was
gonna party with a bunch of take-no-prisoners foxes!" These women were some
of "the firsts" or soon following, around here breaking into so may of the
non traditional fields. We keep forgetting we are *old* now, that's why have
had lunch together for the past quite a few years instead of dinners that
used to turn into partying till dawn.....these spunky, fearless, take no
guff women really hate driving after dark now, and most can't stay awake
much past 10pm! LOL

Val

Old October 12th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

An excellent explanation!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"NightMist" wrote in message

How about how an 8 year old explained it after I explained it to them?

"There are four kinds of electrical circuits that make things work.
One kind is made of just wires and switches.
Another kind are called called tube circuits, because they use glass
tubes in them like old televisions, very old radios, or Mommy and
Daddy's guitar amps.
Solid state circuits are ones with transistors in them instead of
tubes, and are made with the wies stuck though boards so nohing moves
around.
Digital circuits are a special kind of solid state circuit. They have
special parts made out of quartz that are called Integrated Circuits,
most people just call them chips or ICs. ICs are special because you
can make just one of them do the same thing as a great big circuit of
any of the other kinds. You can put a whole computer on one IC. They
call these digital circuits because computers can only count, and they
can only count from zero to one. In high school math and bigger each
number is called a digit, so the way we talk to computers and the way
computers talk is called digital. Everything that computers do,
whether it is adding up the prices when mommy is buying something
online, or playing Happy Birthday for you on your keyboard, they do by
arranging those two digits, zero and one, in different ways."

*Spelling corrected, punctuation beyond periods added, memories of
pulling my hair out while helping the kid tucked up, second grade
science project (A-) carefully put back in the folder with the other
special papers.*

NightMist

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:56:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I don't think I'm there yet. Anyone here explain things to 3
year-olds?
We just had an exhausting visit with a 3 year-old and were dazzled by her
questions and comprehension. Maybe I should have just asked her what
digital means. Polly

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
m...
digital means you use a fixed set of numbers or symbols, rather than
anywhere in a range, so a digital clock displays 1.35 for a minute,
until
it switches to 1.36, whereas an analog clock slowly moves between the
two
points and can represent any value in between.

Anything related to a computer is digital because at the base level,
everything is zero or one.

With things like radio, the "old" system is analog as the transmission
is
via radiowaves which are a like a wiggly line and a point on it can have
any value. By switching to digital the wave looks like the ramparts of a
castle, either zero or one, but it gets messed around as it's
transmitted,
but because the receiver knows it's zero or one it can be reconstructed
with a high degree of accuracy, which wasn't the case when the value
could
be anything in a range, if it got distorted then it got distorted and
there was no way to reconstruct it.

Cheers
Anne

--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with

Old October 12th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

When I was in college my folks started working part time at the dog
track.... behind the line. My younger siblings worked at the snack bars
there too. I ended up working as a "money runner". First girl to run
money. At first I only ran change for the cashiers, then one night they
needed a change runner for the sellers. I was told that "girls couldn't
really handle the pace of the job.." Well, I filled in and got so many
compliments that the sellers requested me back. G The boys were a bit
upset that I was showing them up. VBG Raised the bar on what was
expected from them too. and opened the job to other girls. (Since it was
behind the lines, not dealing directly with the customers could do it
under age 21, had to be 21 to work the line direct with customers.
While I was working with the cashiers I would make enough in tips from
the cashiers to pretty much live on for the week. G The boys were
astonished when they realized that too. VVBG They never made tips like
that from the same cashiers.
My sister and I both got married in the midst of working the track. It
made the track company newsletter. G
My husband (now ex) used to tell people that I worked nights, in South
Tucson, did a lot of walking and carried a lot of change. My "day job"
for a while was doing alterations in the JCPenney's men's wear
department. He described my job as "altering men for Penney's."

Pati,in Phx.
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old October 22nd 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

just to add to the confusion.. an abacus is digital.. )
so, basically, it goes back to digit = finger...
--

Dr.Quilter
drquilter at gmail dot com
Old November 17th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I too broke the gender line when I enrolled in my first high school
drafting course. The counselor called me in to ask why I wanted to
take a "boy's" class. I reminded her that my father owned a
construction company and that I had been raised with blue prints.
Drafting was one thing I could do to help in the company. After all I
couldn't drive a large Caterpillar. The school agreed. I took the
first one hour class and did well so there was no questions when I
signed-up for the three hour per day vocational drafting class. I was
the first girl to complete that course and was featured in a newspaper
article.

As graduation approached I applied for an apprenticeship with a large
engineering firm. They would not even interview me because "they do
not allow women in their engineering department." I was able to serve
a one year apprenticeship with a small architectural firm before I
started working on my degree in engineering.

I needed a part time job while in college so applied for a drafting
job at a manufacturing firm. As I was being interviewed by the head of
the drafting department the personnel director stuck his head in the
room and asked the man, "Does she know how to draw?". When he answer
affirmatively the personnel director said, "Hire her. She can't be
drafted!". You see, this was during the Viet Nam war. The government
had just declared all apprentice and journeyman draftsman eligible for
the military draft. This company had lost many young men to the army.
I joined the drafting room of 200 men and one "Rosy the Riveter" left
from WWII.

Susan Price

On Oct 11, 1:15 pm, "Val" wrote:
[...]

Teach me about postings please BarbaraMN Quilting 1 January 6th 05 03:04 PM
I can teach anyone how to get what they want out of life reynArd Knots 0 November 21st 04 08:31 AM
Want to teach sewing Atom1 Sewing 10 March 11th 04 06:05 AM
Sorta OT - slight dilemna - to teach or not to teach Sharon Harper Quilting 16 December 21st 03 08:50 PM
Going to teach ! Diana Curtis Polymer Clay 4 October 18th 03 02:42 PM