why turn clothes inside out for washing

Old September 15th 04, 01:56 PM
Atom1

I have a front loader and hate it. You can't open it once it's going (for
soaking, dying, adding to, checking on and I don't feel my clothes any
cleaner. The full wash cycle takes over an hour. If the power goes out or
it has a problem,your clothes are held hostage (and in the water if it has
started).
Just the mere fact that the others leave lint behind should say the
agitation type is moving the clothes more forcefully (these can be adjusted
on both type machines). I do find lint in the front seal (which is another
thing you have to be aware not to damage) of the front loader occassionally.
The front loader does take less soap, and it does use a whole lot less water
and can be stacked for space, there are also a whole lot less widowed socks
and the dog is amused by the show in the wash window. I much prefer the top
loader. I wonder which is better from a maintenance stand.

Michelle
Italy

"Debra" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:52:33 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
. com...
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top

machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing

that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my

friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load.

That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front

loader
next time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator

that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy

If your current machine's agitator goes up and down you are going to
hate the ones that rotate/swish side to side instead. They don't
clean as well, and you still have the same amount of lint as your
current washer. You might want to think seriously about getting a
front loader instead. They clean clothes really well as long as you
don't overload the machine, and they are the gentlest on fabric, and
they use less water and a lot less detergent. If you live in the US
and you think you need to buy a special detergent, don't worry. You
don't have to buy expensive special low-sudsing detergent, just use
half as much (or less) than what you use in a top loader. The
expensive "special" detergent is a gimmick invented by one name brand
front loading washing machine manufacturing company that also owns a
company that makes a name brand detergent.

Note: If you live in the US, research front loaders before buying one
because many of the name brands sold for home use in the US are not as
good as they should be. Someday, hopefully soon, the US brands will
have front loaders for homes that are as good as the ones the European
brands sell for homes.

Debra in VA

Old September 15th 04, 02:41 PM
Poohma

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
om...
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

Watched "Queer Eye" last night and waddya know? Carson made a point of
turning clothes inside out ias one of the quick tips. He was wearing black
denim.
--
The Vegas Beth P
(STILL missing Georgia)

Old September 16th 04, 12:09 AM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:

Sounds like wonderful fun and good choices. You'll be so organized and
equipped! We don't have an IKEA in this area, so I'm a bit jealous. ;-)

I had a good time, and Alan said Coo! SPACE!!! Even James was
impressed. My friend Diane looked at it and said 'It looks great, but
it'll never last! it's like my office: fine until a rush hurry panic
job comes in, and then disaster!' She's right! Still, it might be good
for a few weeks, and it won't be so hard to do next time.

Pix will be posted soon.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 16th 04, 09:13 PM

why turn clothes inside out for washing

(Atom1)
=A0=A0=A0=A0I have a front loader and hate it. You can't open it once
it's going (for soaking, dying, adding to, checking on and I don't feel
my clothes any cleaner. The full wash cycle takes over an hour. If the
power goes out or it has a problem,your clothes are held hostage (and in
the water if it has started).
---
Well, grudgingly saidI can open the Maytag and add items, but I
have to wonder if all that button-punching shortens the
door-closed-contacts.
BTW, my laundry does come out cleaner, and the drying time is shorter,
although, yes, it does take longer. I don't want to haul half-washed wet
stuff out, so having the door locked during a power outage is no biggie
for me.
As a pro sewer, one of my major gripes is that one cannot dye or
remove dye properly in a front loader. Also, I have trouble fitting
larger feather duvets and comforters into my front loader.
---
=A0=A0=A0=A0Just the mere fact that the others leave lint behind should
say the agitation type is moving the clothes more forcefully... snip
---
What the agitator is doing is scrubbing the clothes harder, removing
more or the fabric surface, which is what causs all that lint. Those are
your garment fibers dribbling away down the drain. Not a good thing,
IMHO.
---
I do find lint in the front seal (which is another thing you have to be
aware not to damage) of the front loader occassionally.
---
I have a devil of a time cleaning that lint from the seal. Any tips
or advice on how to make the task easier?
---
snip
I much prefer the top loader. I wonder which is better from a
maintenance stand.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Michelle, Italy
---
Top loaders--cheaper to repair, MUCH cheaper than front loaders.
See some of the past threads on repair costs. %#!@%(!!!
Cea

Old September 16th 04, 10:44 PM

"Kate Dicey"

I also bought a big mirror for the wall so that clients can see their
garments and check for fit.
--
Kate http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Years ago when I was a preschooler my granddad said some tailors never let
there customers near a mirror until the garment is finished. Two - three
years ago I was reading a bespoke tailor book and he said the same thing.
The reason why is because when people look in the mirror they often try to
correct there posture, which means at the first fitting it ruins the fit and
it never fits right there after. A three way mirror is nice in the finnish,
so they can see a great fitting garment before they walk out the door with
it.

There is nothing like proper shelfs, draws and places to hang garments from,
cloth, etc. It beats the floor.

John

---

Old September 17th 04, 09:24 AM
Kate Dicey

A wrote:

"Kate Dicey"

I also bought a big mirror for the wall so that clients can see their
garments and check for fit.
--
Kate http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Years ago when I was a preschooler my granddad said some tailors never let
there customers near a mirror until the garment is finished. Two - three
years ago I was reading a bespoke tailor book and he said the same thing.
The reason why is because when people look in the mirror they often try to
correct there posture, which means at the first fitting it ruins the fit and
it never fits right there after. A three way mirror is nice in the finnish,
so they can see a great fitting garment before they walk out the door with
it.

I don't usually have the problem of people altering their posture
spoiling the fit: mostly we are checking that they like the sleeve or
hem length, or how a draped bit falls, or which buttons look better.
Fittings for actual fit are done in the sewing room, and the mirror is
on the landing as there's no wall space for it in the sewing room.

Having the right bra on and wearing the shoes to go with the dress are
usually more important then exact posture. Ladies tend to stand
straighter in their posh bra and fancy high heels than in sports bras
and trainers anyway. And the jackets I'm making at present for a couple
of brothers are of an 18th C cut, and are military uniforms, and make
you stand up straighter anyway. These ones have to stay in place with
arms up for shooting *and* look fantastic on parade!

There is nothing like proper shelfs, draws and places to hang garments from,
cloth, etc. It beats the floor.

Shelves and drawers are good... I now have *most* of the storage I have
room for in the sewing room. There are the best part of 2000 books on
the shelves, and the basket drawers house all the things I need to hand.
The main stash lives in the loft in stacking crates. There will
*NEVER* be room for that in the sewing room! That loft space is on my
list of Things To Sort Out Next!

I could do with replacing one of the last two sets of stackers in the
room with a filing cabinet and getting another set of baskets for the
things in another couple of boxes. There is some stash that cannot live
in the loft:

A length of hand woven Jacob's Sheep wool
A length of printed silk curtain fabric that belongs to a sister
A length of silk jacquard belonging to the same
The silk and cotton mix satin I'm saving or my Elizabethan court Dress
project
A length of wool herringbone coat fabric given to me by a friend for
making her a Very Posh Frock in the days before I was a professional

I have a hanging rail on the back of the door for customer garments and
half made things. I also have a couple free standing rails I can put up
for larger projects like the 16 bridesmaids one... Rolls of stuff like
lining and interfacing live on the landing in a hop basket beside the
tall book case and the treadle sewing machine.

It isn't ideal, but then the house isn't big enough to have a totally
dedicated sewing room. This one has to double as library and guest bedroom.
Old September 18th 04, 03:08 AM

Maybe your business will do better and you can move to a bigger location.
Your business always seems to be doing better.

Hope you put up pictures of those 18th C cut military uniforms, they sound
nice. Kinda like the Town Crier it's old enough that it's now unique.

John

Old September 18th 04, 09:31 AM
Kate Dicey

A wrote:
Maybe your business will do better and you can move to a bigger location.
Your business always seems to be doing better.

Hehehehe! No chance of it getting THAT much better! If we sold this
house, we'd get almost £200,000 for it, but a larger one (say 4
bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a much smaller garden) in a similar location
would be at least £300,000. I don't think I can earn THAT kind of
money! I'm aiming to stay below the income tax thrash-hold.

The only reason we can afford THIS house in this area is that we bought
it 20 years ago, when it went for £32,000. Yup - house prices have gone
silly in this area since then!

Hope you put up pictures of those 18th C cut military uniforms, they sound
nice. Kinda like the Town Crier it's old enough that it's now unique.

Oh, yes, pix are being taken and I'll try to get them up this week.
Didn't manage to get any up last week as DH is working from home and
hogging our phone line. I thought he was going in to the office next
week, but that splendid idea died on Thursday along with the clutch on
the car...

The next costume will be fun too - a shiny chrome look fabric and chain
mail mix...

Old September 18th 04, 06:25 PM
Debra

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:38:24 +0100, Kate Dicey wrote:

Have you seen the Dyson? Maaaaasive porthole! And NO rubber seal...
Bloody ugly beast, but holds a big load too.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/feature...CR02-S-ALLERGY

I'm saving up. They are about £900. Geep!

Bloody ugly beast describes it well and I totally understand your
"Geep" about the price. Imagine the cost for me though----roughly
$1600 US plus the cost of shipping the beast over here, and I'm pretty
sure they are not going to send a repair man if I need one during the
warranty period. But I still drooled while I looked at it.

Debra in VA
Old September 18th 04, 07:31 PM
Pat

SNIPPED to this part................
$1600 US plus the cost of shipping the beast over here, and I'm pretty
sure they are not going to send a repair man if I need one during the
warranty period. But I still drooled while I looked at it.

Debra in VA

I had only one front loader in my life.....always top loaders after THAT
experience..........Mine has the center agitator that rotates........gets
the clothes nice and clean in a short cycle, and I have T-shirts that have
to be 6 years old and still look fine..........everything goes in the dryer
too......