Kreinik Silk Mori question

Old February 6th 04, 03:15 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

Default Kreinik Silk Mori question

I have just gotten the Kreinik Silk Mori I ordered to finish a
XS/hardanger piece I am stitching. The silk mori says in big bold
letters to "dry clean only". Is this true? I can't imagine not being
able to wash my stitching after I am done with it. I could wash what I
have done now but there is so much to to after I am finished with the
silk mori (cutting, woven bars, beading) that there is no way I am going
to be able to keep it clean enough to frame without washing to again.
So my question is: has anyone used the silk mori, washed it and had it
turn out all right?

TIA

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Old February 6th 04, 03:37 PM
BDS2pds

I don't have an answer for you Anne but surely would like your comments on the
silk Mori as to how it is to work with. I was just about to purchase some
yesterday.
Old February 6th 04, 04:26 PM
FKBABB

I have just gotten the Kreinik Silk Mori I ordered to finish a
XS/hardanger piece I am stitching. The silk mori says in big bold
letters to "dry clean only". Is this true? BRBR

I don't have the answer. If no one else does, you may want to just try an
experiment: Stitch up a bit of each color on a scrap of fabric, wash as you
normally do, and see what happens.

HTH, Annie

Old February 6th 04, 05:02 PM
Ellice

On 2/6/04 11:26 AM,"FKBABB" posted:

I have just gotten the Kreinik Silk Mori I ordered to finish a
XS/hardanger piece I am stitching. The silk mori says in big bold
letters to "dry clean only". Is this true? BRBR

I don't have the answer. If no one else does, you may want to just try an
experiment: Stitch up a bit of each color on a scrap of fabric, wash as you
normally do, and see what happens.

No answer here, either. But, check out the Kreinik web site, and see what
they say about it. You can always send them an e-mail (heck, it's a local
call for you) and ask about this. Maybe they're concerned about it shrinking
up or losing sheen? I just don't know.

ellice

Old February 6th 04, 05:33 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

Well I took Ellice's suggestion and called Kreinik. It was a local call
for me and after looking at their website I realized that I have friends
that live VERY close to their offices. May have to drive by sometime
and see if there is anything to see there or not. The lady of the phone
was very friendly and helpful. The main concern is that the color may
run. When I explained that with five cats the chance of keeping the
stitching really clean was practically nonexistant she laughed. She
didn't hedge around or give warnings of doom and gloom when I said that
I would take my chances and wash it. My stitching is pretty clean so I
don't think it will require much soap or other cleaner and I always use
cold water. If I finish it before this cold snap I can use REALLY cold
water straight for the faucet.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Old February 6th 04, 08:10 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I've used Mori. It is almost identical to Soie d'alger. It washes up
beautifully. Don't use ANYTHING that contains the least hint of any
bleaching agents. I've used dark colors (red, navy). No problem.
That doesn't mean you won't have a problem, but I haven't. But do note
that I cautioned against any bleaching agents. That DID get me into
trouble.
Dianne

Old February 6th 04, 11:17 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Dianne Lewandowski had some very
interesting things to say about Kreinik Silk Mori question:

I've used Mori. It is almost identical to Soie d'alger. It washes up
beautifully. Don't use ANYTHING that contains the least hint of any
bleaching agents. I've used dark colors (red, navy). No problem.
That doesn't mean you won't have a problem, but I haven't. But do note
that I cautioned against any bleaching agents. That DID get me into
trouble.

Not that I plan to get into silks any time soon [my checkbook just
laughs at such notions (sigh)], but is it safe to assume that Orvus
does not have bleaching agents?
Old February 6th 04, 11:57 PM
Joan Erickson

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Not that I plan to get into silks any time soon [my checkbook just
laughs at such notions (sigh)], but is it safe to assume that Orvus
does not have bleaching agents?

No, it does not. HTH.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old February 7th 04, 01:17 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Seanette Blaylock
writes:

Not that I plan to get into silks any time soon

You are not going to get into anything new until you finish Merlin. And that's
an order.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html