Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Old October 25th 05, 11:50 PM
CNY/VAstitcher

Default OT Chocolate was Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Wait!! what quilt event in November??? Where??? When???

Pat in Virginia wrote:

I will be seeing Wendy in November, at a quilt event (on topic) ... I am
HOPING she will supply some chocolate!!
PAT, ever optimistic in VA/USA

Taria wrote:

Wendy is the one with the chocolate tempering machine.
She needs to make RCTQ chocolate especailly for the
group.
Taria

Old October 26th 05, 12:47 AM
D Curtis

Default OT Kathy Applebaum Week!! Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Have much fun filling the vacancy in the temple. And may your tenant
arrive soon!
Diana

Tricia wrote:
I'll take some of that chocolate but the champagne must be passed on
despite wanting some -- must keep the body a temple should the next
generation decide to move in (now that I'm officially off my meds but
waiting for them to clear the system)

Since I'm passing on the champagne, I'll take a double dose of
chocolate -- the darker the better please!

Is that a raspberry truffle I see there .... *peeking over*

Giggle,
Tricia

Old October 26th 05, 12:49 AM
C & S

I'll trade my dark chocolat for your champagne Tricia! I just love the
stuff. Always looking for an occasion to pop a bottle!

Carole
Champlain, NY

oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 12:49 AM
D Curtis

Default Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

You know, you're rather a hoot, too!
Diana

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:
Of course, I still don't understand how
radios work, airplanes stay aloft, or battle ships don't sink either.

Old October 26th 05, 04:13 AM
Carey N.

Default Danny Kaye Court Jester (Was: Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

"Mini One" wrote in message
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
om:

"Listpig" wrote in message
And in the policy of Complete Disclosure, a quote swiped from Danny
Kaye in
The Court Jester grinnin and duckin

We are very fond of the chalice from the palace and the flagon with
the dragon...

I love that movie! Haven't seen it in years & years... Ok, no that

long....
I'm not that old! ;o)

Dialog from the movie is at the bottom of the page, with a small sound clip,
as well.
http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/Kaye/kaye.htm

--
Carey in MA

Old October 26th 05, 02:57 PM
C & S

Wow, it's amazing what you can get off the internet. I've never seen the
movie but I'm sure my mother has. D

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Carey N." wrote in message

"Mini One" wrote in message
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
om:

Old October 26th 05, 03:06 PM
C & S

"Carey N." wrote in message
> [...]

"Mini One" wrote in message
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
om:

Old October 26th 05, 04:15 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

loL!! Way to go GF!! "I'm an attorney" is one of the biggest cons around.
Just saying it - don't make it so. Also most state laws are on the web for
anyone to read.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't depend on my husband (the graphic artist and photographer), my
friends or my internet acquaintances for legal advice. I have my own
lawyer, my husband has his own copyright lawyer and we pay our bill.

Thanks for the advice though,
Tina

Old October 26th 05, 04:17 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Very good point. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
I've been reading this thread with great interest, but your question is
profound.

Since the patterns on fabrics are designed and then copyrighted, how could
any of us make anything for sale anywhere ever? I have to admit, I've
made many things for sale over the years and never even thought about not
being able to use a fabric because I never knew fabrics could carry a
copyright, and even if I "had" known, I know I would have thought it was
that I couldn't reproduce the fabric, not that I couldn't make something
with it and sell it.

If their permission is needed, does that mean we have to write to the
company everytime we want to use a different fabric? How would we know
who has the copyright, the designer or the fabric company? What about
garage sales where the fabric pieces no longer have selvage edges so we
wouldn't know which company even produced it? What about older fabrics
where the company can't be found (or may be out of business) and the
designer's name isn't listed?

I can understand a copyright not allowing someone to copy the instructions
or even copy the fabric and sell them, but it just never occurred to me
you could buy fabric and not be able to make something out of it that you
could sell. Of course, I still don't understand how radios work,
airplanes stay aloft, or battle ships don't sink either.

Calico wrote:
This may be a weird slant on this topic but the fabric designs/prints
themselves are copyrighted, right? So how does that figure into the whole
equation?

Linda in PA... who often thinks of weird stuff

"Julia in MN" wrote in message

My pet peeve along these lines: people who would never think of stealing
a pattern from the store shelves, but who do not think anything of asking
to photocopy the copy that someone else purchased.

As I understand it, one would find it quite difficult to copyright a
quilt block; even though I may design a block that I haven't seen before,
the chances are the someone else has also created the same block. For
example, IMO there is no way that Quilt-In-A-Day can have a copyright on
a log cabin or Irish chain block; they could never prove any copyright
infringement on any quilt you make from those very common, traditional
blocks. However, the instructions in the Quilt-In-A-Day books are
copyrighted; you should not be copying the instructions to pass along to
others. When a block design or quilt design gets more innovative and
unusual, the situation gets a bit muddier, and it gets more difficult to
claim that it is only the pattern instructions that can be copyright.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 26th 05, 04:21 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

I've learned it, just don't understand it (but since I haven't
understood it for the previous 55 years, it doesn't seem likely I ever
will, unfortunately).

Wish someone could answer my questions though. And what about a
seamstress who makes clothes for others? Can they not buy a fabric to
use and sell the end product without a written permission slip from the
designer or manufacturer? Just how far does a copyright go in
protecting a design? And what about garment knockoffs that put a
shoulder strap where there wasn't one or some other such change and then
sell them in stores for thousands of dollar less as is done all the
time? Oh well, guess I'd have to read the whole darn copyright law to
get the answer, and I don't think that's going to happen.

Mini One wrote:
As for radio, planes, etc, try he

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Emilia