pillow shams

Old October 30th 05, 04:02 AM
Jenn/Jalynne

Default pillow shams

I'd just make them 3-4" bigger, and turn as usual, then sew 3-4" in from the
edge and starch them.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
I've got enough fabric left from making a quilt for me that I'd like to
make shams too. Anyway, I'd like to make the flat flanges from a
different fabric around them instead of ruffles. Does anyone know of any
online instructions or a book that would tell me how to make them turn out
nice?

Thanks!!

Ms P

Old October 30th 05, 01:51 PM
WitchyStitcher

When I did mine, I took a sham I already had and copied it. It was
much easier than doing a ruffle. I just cut the fabric the size of the
finished sham, plus seam allowances. Made the sham as usual using
batting on the top and then top stitched where I wanted the flat
flange. Clear as mud?

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old October 30th 05, 02:18 PM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I made a pillow like that recently to match the wedding quilt. I think
ironing some fusible interfacing in to the "flange" area would make it
stand out nicer. I made the flange about 2 inches wide- any wider and
I'd be afraid they'd flap! I used the process others have described-
just made the pillow cover wider and stitched around it for the flange.
Also, I like my pillows plump, so I make the cover about 2 inches
smaller than the pillow form measures and jam the pillow form into the
cover. Probably cut the square for the body, sew the different flange
fabric around the sides, then stitch the flange at the seam? I like to
use a zipper on my pillow covers so they can be removed and washed-
just cut the back side 2 in. wider and cut it in half, baste back
together and install the zipper and continue with the construction.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO..

Old October 30th 05, 02:34 PM
Jenn/Jalynne

I generally don't do zippers, just make overlapping backs, like the ones you
find in the stores. They're quick and easy, and my hair won't get caught in
them if I'm taking a nap...LOL. Or one could use the new velcro that's soft
on both sides...decorative buttons, snap tape...ribbon ties...

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions
http:/pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jalynne29/my_photos
Live! http://kinneykreations.com

oups.com...

Old October 30th 05, 04:10 PM
ms_peacock

Yup. I wanted to make the flange out of a different fabric. I also thought
maybe I could make the flange without the seam on the edge but somehow I
don't think that's going to work. I'll just make the fronts and backs with
"borders" and then seam together, turn right side out and top stitch the
flange. That's probably at least as clear as mud. LOL

I do think I'm going to use Leslie's suggestion and add some fusible
interfacing. The fabric I got for the flanges is really soft.

Ms P
news

Old October 30th 05, 06:36 PM
Debra

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:10:35 -0600, "ms_peacock"
wrote:

Yup. I wanted to make the flange out of a different fabric. I also thought
maybe I could make the flange without the seam on the edge but somehow I
don't think that's going to work. I'll just make the fronts and backs with
"borders" and then seam together, turn right side out and top stitch the
flange. That's probably at least as clear as mud. LOL

I do think I'm going to use Leslie's suggestion and add some fusible
interfacing. The fabric I got for the flanges is really soft.

Ms P

That would be the easiest way.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 31st 05, 12:08 AM
Sally Swindells

It was only when I read the zipper bit that I realised you were all
talking about cushions! Here pillows go on beds for heads! Now it all
makes sense!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 31st 05, 04:05 AM
ms_peacock

wrote:

I'll just make the fronts and backs with
"borders" and then seam together, turn right side out and top stitch the
flange. That's probably at least as clear as mud. LOL

I do think I'm going to use Leslie's suggestion and add some fusible
interfacing. The fabric I got for the flanges is really soft.

Ms P

That would be the easiest way.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

I decided I was trying to over complicate it.

Ms P

Old October 31st 05, 03:22 PM
DrQuilter

see, I have that problem too, and all along I thought they were talking
about bed pillows. having gone to a british school, pillows are in the
bed, cushions in the couch. 10 years in the US have not made a dent in
that belief! oddly, I do buy 'pillow forms' to put inside my cushions... )

wrote:

I generally don't do zippers, just make overlapping backs, like the ones you
find in the stores. They're quick and easy, and my hair won't get caught in
them if I'm taking a nap...LOL. Or one could use the new velcro that's soft
on both sides...decorative buttons, snap tape...ribbon ties...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

New Pillow Pics Melissa in NJ Quilting 3 September 7th 05 03:38 AM
how many FQs are there in a pillow? nzlstar Quilting 29 July 21st 05 08:13 PM
ISO Free Fur Pillow Pattern from MM Geocat Yarn 2 November 8th 04 02:43 PM
FO crochet pillow cover!!! Anna MCM Yarn 1 June 17th 04 04:38 PM
Making Pillows & Pillow Shams Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 9 May 3rd 04 08:34 AM