spinning

Old December 22nd 03, 11:13 PM
Misti and John

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:17 -0800, JJMolvik wrote:

Ooooo! The only other person I know that did a bedspread JUST finished

is
this last summer. It took 14 years, but won a blue ribbon in the fair.

She
started it for her daughter and son-in-law when they got married.

I am truly impressed!

JJMolvik

As am I! And, I wanted to welcome Misti to the group!
Hugs,
Noreen

Awwww, shucks :::looks down, shoves hands in pockets and kicks dirt with
toe::: =o) When I started out I had intended to just make a double crochet
throw, for curling up on the couch with, but I got a little
over-enthusiastic with my starting chain, and by the time I stopped it was
long enough to fit my bed and 9 inches tall. I think I'm gonna need more
yarn.
Oh, and I've been doing some research. Looks like I'll be ordering fiber
online. A lot of the local fiber suppliers got burned out a couple months
ago =o(

Misti

Old December 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
Katherine

Welcome to RCTY, Misti. Good luck with your afghan. I 'll bet it will be
gorgeous!
Katherine

Old December 23rd 03, 08:47 PM
CMM PDX2

Helen wrote:

Some "cotton" balls are really a fairly nice, long-staple rayon
that's pretty easy to spin and makes nice yarn.

LOL, Helen, you're obviously using a better brand of pills than I am...what?
What? gg (unless you're just talking of the cotton balls.)

Rayon, huh? Man, the things you learn on this group!

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old December 23rd 03, 09:52 PM
JJMolvik

I think she means the "cotton" balls you buy for cosmetics and such. You
know, they come 500+ to a package and you never know what to do with them.
(Until now!!!)

*running for the bathroom to find that bag*

JJMolvik

Old December 24th 03, 12:11 AM
norma woods

You could try the beauty supply store for the 5 lb boxes of cotton that we
use for perms etc.

--
Star love,
Norma

Old December 24th 03, 12:59 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:11:09 -0500, norma woods wrote:

You could try the beauty supply store for the 5 lb boxes of cotton that we
use for perms etc.

Great minds thinking alike again, I was JUST going to suggest that! Nice
long strips ..........
Noreen

(Noreen, Nora, Norah, Norma, Norrine... all come from the Latin name:
Honora!!)

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old November 24th 04, 10:16 PM
Els van Dam

In article 41a4fac1$0$328$afc38c87@, "Jack Schmidling" wrote:

I just got two sheep but they are so friendly that they will probably out
live me. So, instead of mutton chops, I am trying to learn about wool.

My first frustration is trying to find a decent description of the flyer and
bobbin part of a spinning wheel. I would love to make it but unless I
understand how that part works, it's hopeless.

Can someone point me to some photos, drawings or other info on this? I have
spent hours on the web and get nowhere other than long shots that tell me
nothing.

Thanks,

js

Jack, there are many good sources for looking at a flyer and bobbin
assembly. Your local library is a good place to start. Find out if
therei s a guild in your area, and go and visit and take measurements.
Spin Off is a great magazine where you can go and ask questions. Here are
also two books that have clear pictures of what you want. Handspinning art
& technique, by Allen Fannin. What you want is right on the front cover.
The other book is The complete Spinning Book by Candace Crockett. Paula
Simmons is another author who has written several books on spinning, I am
sure she also has clear pictures of a flyer/ bobin assembly.

Before you start to make your own wheel you first have to know what
spinning wheel you want to make. There are three different systems.
Double snare, break on the bobbin, flyer driven; or break on the flyer
bobbin driven. Wheels to look at are Lendrum, Canadian; Ashford, New
Zealand; Louet, Dutch, these are just some among many good brands that are
out there. Most of this information you will be able to find on the
internet.

Good luck with your project, and tell us how you made out. What kind of
sheep breed do you have...??

Els, on Vancouver Island

--
hate spam not welcome
Old November 25th 04, 03:36 AM
Els van Dam

In article 41a5246b$0$323$afc38c87@, "Jack Schmidling" wrote:

"Els van Dam"

Jack, there are many good sources for looking at a flyer and bobbin
assembly. Your local library is a good place to start.....

These days, the library is the last resort and if you live in a small town,
no resort at all.

Now jack, I am sorry to hear that....I live in a very small town, on
Vancouver Island, but I can get lots of great books, even when they do not
have them at hand, they will get them for me.

There are all sorts of books, plans etc, for SALE on the internet but it's
real easy to get sick of the greed that seems to drive folks these days.

And before I get flamed for being a skinflint, a quick browse of my web site
will produce plans, instructions and recipes for everything from sour kraut
to telescope parts... all FREE.

Before you start to make your own wheel you first have to know what
spinning wheel you want to make.

Roger but it's not obvious what the differences are without detailed info on
how they work and this is virtually non existant.

Sorry but you are wrong, you just have to do the leg work. If you E-mail
me, I am willing to help you, with a smile even....LOL

Most of this information you will be able to find on the
internet.

Either for a price or long shots that tell me nothing.

OK I will have a look and see what is there available, and pass it on to you.

Good luck with your project, and tell us how you made out. What kind of
sheep breed do you have...??

More or less Dorset. I clipped some wool from one of them and tried carding
with some file cards and got real excited but just made a mess of it. I bid
on a set of real ones on Ebay today.

But anyway, some details on any sort of flyer/bobbin would be useful.

js

--
hate spam not welcome

Cotton Spinning 1913 weaving vintage FA Sarah Mc. Marketplace 0 October 29th 04 12:58 AM
correction...should read antique french spinning wheel not spinning machine Jacqueline Butt Yarn 0 November 25th 03 12:32 AM
Converts to spinning CMM PDX2 Yarn 7 October 30th 03 12:50 AM
spinning special coming up Els van Dam Yarn 17 October 12th 03 06:27 PM
Spinning and Weaving Neal Rogers Yarn 80 August 22nd 03 10:35 AM