Test - go ahead and read - you know you want to

Old January 19th 04, 03:26 AM
Piglet

Gee, and when I saw the changed subject line, I thought "Maybe somebody is
looking for someone to Test some Asparagus for them......I could do that."

--pig, sad that there's no free asparagus

lol

On 1/18/04 18:19, opined:

I'm glad I checked the thread! Go figure! It went from playing with a test
post to Asparagus! Are we good or what?

Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

Old January 19th 04, 05:06 AM
Sharon Harper

Sounds yummy but TVP sounds like something that would be more at home on an
episode of Futurama!!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"frood" wrote in message
.com...
And here I thought I had a little time before I actually had to get out

the
cookbook. (I tried it once without the recipe, and it turned out

horribly -
and I've been making this for years! Maybe it was the cook's helpers that
messed it up - yeah, that's the ticket! Giles and Spike mucked it up! It's
really not hard!)

No Beef with Asparagus (a vegan adaptation of a recipe called Beef with
Asparagus from The Chinese Cookbook by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee)

1 1/2 c. strip style TVP (textured vegetable protein - look at a can of
chili and you'll see it in there)
2 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch
12 asparagus spears (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 T sherry or shao hsing wine
3 T vegetable broth

Rehydrate TVP in 3 c. water - bring to a boil (I do this in the microwave)
and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 c. water to mix

with
vegetable broth powder. Stir in cornstarch, 1 T oil (dark toasted sesame

oil
is really yummy) and soy sauce. Set aside.

Combine sugar and salt; set aside. Mix vegetable broth powder with

reserved
tvp water according to directions (or use prepared broth). Combine broth
with wine; set aside.

Cut asparagus into 1-inch lengths (more or less) and boil for 30-60

seconds.
Plunge parboiled asparagus into bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain.

Add a small amount of oil (I like walnut oil) to heated wok. When almost
smoking, add asparagus. Sprinkle with sugar/salt mixture and cook,

stirring,
about 10 seconds. Add tvp and stir to blend. Add wine/broth mixture and

cook
1 minute or less, stirring until heated through, and sauce is almost
absorbed.

Serve with rice. Makes 6 servings (WW = 2 pts/serving, not counting rice)
--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Mardi" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:19:51 +1100, "Sharon Harper"
wrote:

But wait - where is the recipe for No Beef and Asparagus???

And what in the world is "No Beef"?

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot

com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old January 19th 04, 10:50 AM
Kate Dicey

Sharon Harper wrote:

Sounds yummy but TVP sounds like something that would be more at home on an
episode of Futurama!!

It stands for Textured Vegetable Protein. Many moons ago when I was at
school, we occasionally got it as 'mince'. We always referred to it as
PVC... You could use strips of Quorn instead. I prefer Quorn.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 19th 04, 10:51 AM
Kate Dicey

Sharon Harper wrote:

But wait - where is the recipe for No Beef and Asparagus???

I want the one for No Beef with No Asparagus! I like asparagus, but it
won't be in season here for a while...
Old January 19th 04, 10:59 AM
Sharon Harper

My problem is both DH and both DDs love meat and would consider a meal
without it NOT a meal. Me? I can take it or leave it. Since pregnancies
it's usually leave it.

Old January 19th 04, 12:45 PM
Kate Dicey

Sharon Harper wrote:

My problem is both DH and both DDs love meat and would consider a meal
without it NOT a meal. Me? I can take it or leave it. Since pregnancies
it's usually leave it.

James and Alan are unredeemed carnivores! They both like rare steak. I
like it, but not too much! I'm just as happy with Quorn mince as
chicken or beef mince, and those two did approve of the Quorn chilli I
made last week.

Old January 19th 04, 02:17 PM
frood

I tried Quorn recently, and didn't care for it. I guess some things are just
a matter of personal preference! :-)

Old January 19th 04, 06:11 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Pig, come visit us this spring. We always have asparagus growing on the
ditchbanks and along the fences. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but,
always some.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

Old January 19th 04, 06:37 PM
NightMist

Depends on how old your roots are.
As I recall, you are generally advised to wait at least one year so
they get a good hold, regardless of how old the sets are. I believe I
have seen some that tell you to wait two years.
Judicious harvesting and replanting are the whole trick, my SFIL had
it down pat. He seeded from mature plants on a yearly basis. He was
adamant that MIL have asparagus, it was one of the vegetables that her
doctor recomended for her that she liked. He also planted some apart
from the rest just to let it go and see what it did. Turned into a
great huge thing that was even bigger than the lilac bush. And the
catalog said it couldn't be done in this climate, HA!

NightMist

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:44:51 GMT, "Butterfly"
wrote:

How long does it take before you can harvest it if you buy the 'bare roots'
and plant them that way?
That's how I plan on doing it.think waiting on the seed would take tooooo
long for me ; )
Thanks
Butterfly
"NightMist" wrote in message

The skinny little young asparagus stalks are wonderful raw.
The big fat old ones definitely need cooked IMHO.

Young asparagus is melt in your mouth tender even when raw.
after the plants are about 5+ years old, they tend to come up tougher.

A lot of old gardeners I have known say that asparagus is not edible
until the plant is at least 7 years old. They are wrong about that,
you can harvest asparagus after 3 years (from seed) but you hurt your
yield by not waiting longer.

NightMist
did I mention that I adore asparagus?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:04:09 GMT, "Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)"
wrote:

Some veggies I like either raw or cooked. Asparagus I prefer cooked.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .
Can't wait until we get the 'garden blocks' set up,then, I will grow

my
own
: ) LOVE it---we had it growing in the orchard as a kid---I sure miss
being
able to pick it when I want it.....
Butterfly (did you know you can eat it raw)

"D&D" wrote in message
You consider that a highlight ? Yuk!

Dee in Oz

"Donna in Idaho wrote
You don't know what's good! One of the highlights of spring around
here
is
when we can go pick wild asparagus from the ditchbanks.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Taria" wrote in message
Best asparagus recipe I've ever seen since I don't
like the stuff!
Taria

Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) wrote:

Fit WW pretty good! No points, either!