Test - go ahead and read - you know you want to

Old January 18th 04, 06:59 PM
Dr. Quilter

steamed and served with a dipping sauce with vinegar, red wine... let me
ask DH. the young, tender ones work the best, of course...

Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) wrote:

Yes'm, it's definitely a highlight! Yummy, yummy good! Served with butter
& lemon juice, or stir-fried, or, or . . . .

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old January 18th 04, 09:44 PM
Butterfly

How long does it take before you can harvest it if you buy the 'bare roots'
and plant them that way?
That's how I plan on doing it.think waiting on the seed would take tooooo
long for me ; )
Thanks
Butterfly
"NightMist" wrote in message

The skinny little young asparagus stalks are wonderful raw.
The big fat old ones definitely need cooked IMHO.

Young asparagus is melt in your mouth tender even when raw.
after the plants are about 5+ years old, they tend to come up tougher.

A lot of old gardeners I have known say that asparagus is not edible
until the plant is at least 7 years old. They are wrong about that,
you can harvest asparagus after 3 years (from seed) but you hurt your
yield by not waiting longer.

NightMist
did I mention that I adore asparagus?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:04:09 GMT, "Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)"
wrote:

Some veggies I like either raw or cooked. Asparagus I prefer cooked.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .
Can't wait until we get the 'garden blocks' set up,then, I will grow

my
own
: ) LOVE it---we had it growing in the orchard as a kid---I sure miss

being
able to pick it when I want it.....
Butterfly (did you know you can eat it raw)

"D&D" wrote in message
You consider that a highlight ? Yuk!

Dee in Oz

"Donna in Idaho wrote
You don't know what's good! One of the highlights of spring around

here
is
when we can go pick wild asparagus from the ditchbanks.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Taria" wrote in message
Best asparagus recipe I've ever seen since I don't
like the stuff!
Taria

Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) wrote:

Fit WW pretty good! No points, either!

--

My karma ran over my dogma

Old January 18th 04, 10:19 PM
Bonnie

Butterfly wrote:
How long does it take before you can harvest it if you buy the 'bare roots'
and plant them that way?
That's how I plan on doing it.think waiting on the seed would take tooooo
long for me ; )
Thanks
Butterfly

When we put it in, I was instructed not to eat the first year.
The second year you can eat some but leave about half.
After that, eat all you want. Ours has been growing for
about 20 years and we don't really have much to harvest
anymore. I doubt if I'll replant because I'm the only one
the enjoys eating.

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old January 19th 04, 12:19 AM
Dreamweaver

I'm glad I checked the thread! Go figure! It went from playing with a test
post to Asparagus! Are we good or what?

Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:36:08 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

Oh, that's too bad. I just got back from the grocery, and bought some

big,
fat lovely ones. Really nice, and worth the price. Spike and Giles are

even
excited at the thought of Jr. Asparagus for dinner! Once I started to

make
No Beef with Asparagus, only to discover we didn't have any asparagus.

So,
we had No Beef with No Asparagus.

No asparagus at my grocery store except in cans or the freezer
section.
*whimper*

Want the recipe?

YES!!!

NightMist

"NightMist" wrote in message
I read "asparagus" and the next thing I knew I was looking at a
suitcase trying to figure out where to fit the clothes alongside the
stash.

Then DH and DGF came along, and when I woke up they were feeding me
hot chocolate (_not_ cocoa) laced with brandy and explaining how I had
bumped my head when I slipped on a stray silk hankie. Didn't explain
the ropes though.....shanghied in my own house!

NightMist
asparaguuuus

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:11:03 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

C'mon over! I just got my gum arabic, you can help me make

marshmallows.
I'll make No-Beef and Asparagus.

--

My karma ran over my dogma

Old January 19th 04, 12:19 AM
Sharon Harper

But wait - where is the recipe for No Beef and Asparagus???

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old January 19th 04, 12:37 AM
Mardi

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:19:51 +1100, "Sharon Harper"
wrote:

But wait - where is the recipe for No Beef and Asparagus???

And what in the world is "No Beef"?

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old January 19th 04, 01:53 AM
Dreamweaver

Yea! What she said!
--
Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

Old January 19th 04, 01:59 AM
frood

And here I thought I had a little time before I actually had to get out the
cookbook. (I tried it once without the recipe, and it turned out horribly -
and I've been making this for years! Maybe it was the cook's helpers that
messed it up - yeah, that's the ticket! Giles and Spike mucked it up! It's
really not hard!)

No Beef with Asparagus (a vegan adaptation of a recipe called Beef with
Asparagus from The Chinese Cookbook by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee)

1 1/2 c. strip style TVP (textured vegetable protein - look at a can of
chili and you'll see it in there)
2 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch
12 asparagus spears (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 T sherry or shao hsing wine
3 T vegetable broth

Rehydrate TVP in 3 c. water - bring to a boil (I do this in the microwave)
and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 c. water to mix with
vegetable broth powder. Stir in cornstarch, 1 T oil (dark toasted sesame oil
is really yummy) and soy sauce. Set aside.

Combine sugar and salt; set aside. Mix vegetable broth powder with reserved
tvp water according to directions (or use prepared broth). Combine broth
with wine; set aside.

Cut asparagus into 1-inch lengths (more or less) and boil for 30-60 seconds.
Plunge parboiled asparagus into bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain.

Add a small amount of oil (I like walnut oil) to heated wok. When almost
smoking, add asparagus. Sprinkle with sugar/salt mixture and cook, stirring,
about 10 seconds. Add tvp and stir to blend. Add wine/broth mixture and cook
1 minute or less, stirring until heated through, and sauce is almost
absorbed.

Serve with rice. Makes 6 servings (WW = 2 pts/serving, not counting rice)
--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old January 19th 04, 02:39 AM
Butterfly

First she teases with No Beef and now No Asparagus---those poor kidlets of
hers are gonna go to bed hungry if she doesn't hurry up. Hey---that's WHERE
she is--she's makin No Beef and No Asparagus so they WON'T go hungry.
Butterfly (hang on gals--she's feeding her kidlets--we'll just have to wait
a bit longer for her recipe)

u...

Old January 19th 04, 03:15 AM
Taria

Leave out the asparagus and add beef and it sounds great ; )
I wandered into a grocery store in Loma Linda here once. The
town is pretty much 7th day adventist. They had a huge amount of
vegetarian meat substitute products. I've never
seen so many choices. Frozen, canned, dried and fresh.
Hog heaven for vegetarians.
Guess it's healthy but where's the beef?
Taria