A Favor of you Please

Old August 18th 03, 12:14 AM
judy in fort worth

I found RCTQ when I was new to the internet and trying to figure out the
attraction to chat rooms. This forum was more of what I was looking for and
was not filled with people pretending to be in their 40's when they were
really only teenagers. I do not post often but do read the ng daily. I
have made a couple of good friends in my local area through this ng---people
I would never have met any other place. I stay because the conversation is
always interesting and because I have learned a thing or two here.
My grandmother was a quilter although I did not know that when I began
quilting. She had passed away before I began to quilt. My MIL and GMIL
were quilters and I guess I just wanted to be part of the family---although
MIL and compete more than we collaborate! (odd family dynamics there!) I
took my first quilt class when my DS (now 23) was a baby---back in the days
of templates! Yuck! It is amazing that I stayed with it. For many years,
I was a purist and would only handquilt. Machine piecing was fine but it
wasn't a quilt unless it was handquilted. I am not sure what changed my
mind on that opinion but I think that it has something to do with wanting to
finish more than one quilt a year. Plus the longarm quilters are so much
better now than they were 20 years ago---the ones that quilt for me are true
artists.
What do I get from my quilting? The joy of creating something unique and of
giving a gift of myself. I give away most of my quilts to family members
and friends. It was hard at first to give a quilt to a person who doesn't
"get it" but I have gotten over that and now give a quilt because I want to
and because I think everyone in the world really needs a quilt.
I am always looking for a new challenge. I hope to leave a quilt legacy to
my family and friends and to raise sons who value a gift from someone's
hands and heart. I also quilt for the distraction. When life is too much
for me and my worrying gene kicks in, sitting at my machine and piecing a
quilt can take my mind off my problems. In the future I hope to find lots
of new fabric and inspiration.

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old August 18th 03, 12:28 AM
Dawn in Alberta

Oh boy this is going to be a good one Diana, are you sure your that bored?

Anyways as to how I found this neat little section of the universe , I was
checking out the rec newgroups one day back in 2001, and saw this group
decided to check out and some how got stuck here. Reading the post of
Backwage and Mister Bear, Kate, Butterfly, LN and the rest kicked up my
interest into quilting.
I helped in the making of a quilt a friend was making for her DIL. I have
always liked sewing and wanted to see if I could do it. Plus I love color
and what other way can you get to feel color and see it come alive other
then in quilting. Watching the blocks take on a life of their own its
amazing.

As to why I stay. Where else can you find other people that you can call
friends and not get judged as to what you look like, what your income level
is, or why you arent married yet or why you live where you live. I like the
people here, some I am finding are as strange as I am. If any one has a
question they get answers, if someone is hungry they get fed, and every one
is there to lend a shoulder to cry on, to give out hugs and support no
matter what is happening.

To what I hope to discover in my quilting oddesy, I just want to be able to
get the quilts out of my head and make them real. I want to find my own
limits. If the quilts make me happy and others happy, then I have done what
I wanted to do.
But dont get me wrong , lol, I am my own worst critic so it takes alot to
make me happy when it has to do with something I make.
Well thats my little story, So Diana get better soon as the blue Luna's
should only happen once in a blue moon ? Sorry I couldnt help myself lol
and yes this is coming from another Luna.

Dawn
--
When life gets you down , Get up and Mambo
John Candy

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 18th 03, 12:32 AM
CNYstitcher

Well, Diana.........

I started with a quilt class in October of 2001. My teacher wasn't the
best, but at least I learned enough to make a quilt for a friend who was
expecting her second child. I did take another "class" with her, but it
was mainly to get 2 hours out of the house to myself.

She convinced me that, if I couls sew clothes, I could make a quilt, and
shockingly, she was right. By that, I mean that I had always seen
quilts as something WAY out of my league, having never met a quilter
before. Anyway, I was hooked and made quilted wall hangings for
everyone that Christmas!

Since I was soooooo hooked, so fast, I decided to see if there was a
group that I could bounce ideas off of and get ideas from, and that is
how I found RCTQ.

Through the short time that I have been reading/posting at RCTQ, I have
found great people and wonderful support. I"ve also gotten some new
ideas, including ones that NEVER would have crossed my mind (and gotten
introduced to new "gadgets", which is always a plus!!). What I am
hoping for, as far as my quilting future, is to be able to make a Queen
size quilt that actually looks as if a professional made it. No, not a
store-bought looking thing, but one that looks like it was done by a
person who had been quilting for more than 2 years or so.

In the immediate future, my quilting future will hopefully see the
completion of a corduroy scrappy quilt for myself, a scrappy quilt for
my daughter-to-be, and 3 quilts for donation to a church school auction.
After these, who knows where I'll go (though I do have the fabrics
waiting for my mom and dad's flamingos in the flowers quilt, and
Mother's turtle quilt).

Larisa, sorry if this is boring, but it's all I can truthfully say.

Old August 18th 03, 12:43 AM
Jalynne

I don't remember how I joined. Oh wait, yes I do. nzl*, who has been one of my
bestest buddies (online or not), kept telling me about the group. I tried to join a
few times, but my isp just didn't want to cooperate. It wasn't until I got a new
computer, and nzl* introduced me to you, Diana Curtis, that I really just couldn't
stay away. I finally got to be able to download and subscribe to the NG, and have
been a happy camper ever since. Flame wars notwithstanding, I find this a wonderful
place to share quilts with other people, whether it's the process of making them, or
the finish product, or all the other chatter that goes on in conjunction, just like a
quilting bee.

I had always wanted to be a quilter, just like the grandmother I had never known.
She died when she was just 21, and my dad was 6 months old, but she had created some
really lovely quilts. She left behind two tops that are to go to my dad when my step
grandmother dies, and my dad wants me to finish them for him, so that my brother and
I can each have one. I've been able to sew since I was 9, but hated it until i was
19, when i couldn't afford to buy the really nice clothes I wanted. So I sewed a lot
for a while, looking for someone who could teach me how to quilt. We attended a
Mennonite church (which we later joined) and I was able to find a group that would
teach me to quilt on charity quilts. They only hand quilted, which I'd never done
before, so I was a bit nervous, but the ladies were all quite nice. I sat down
around the frame, where we were working on a white on white baby quilt. I took up
the needle, after the group's leader showed me how to make the stitches, and I began.
I can't describe the feeling very well, but bear with me. I felt like I had come
home, like I'd been quilting all my life. I immediately felt like I belonged. To
this day, six years later, hand quilting is one of the most relaxing things I can do.
The small even stitches came naturally for me, and get even better the more I
practice.

If i could do nothing but quilt, I'd be happy. Piecing is a real pain for me,
because I like to rush to get through making the top so I can quilt it...LOL. But
i'm getting much better. I'm also learning to appreciate hand applique, ok, and
machine applique, too. I've made it a goal to challenge myself to learn a couple of
new techniques every year. That goal has been put to the side for a little while,
but next summer, I'll be ready to jump in again with both feet and quilt my fingers
off. I love the fact that there is so much to learn, and that beautiful things can
happen with little bits of fabric sewn with love, whether by hand or machine.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know...

--
Jalynne

Old August 18th 03, 01:22 AM
Sharon Harper

I came to post on RCTQ because no-one I knew quilted and I refused to go
back to the shop where I purchased my first kit (yes I cheated!). On threat
of a vile, horrible, nasty, painful death I will NEVER set foot in that shop
again. So, when DH brought the internet home he suggested I look up and see
if there were any newsgroups. Lo and behold, there were - ONE!

I have never looked back and indeed will never look anywhere else. This
group has become like family to me, I've met some of you, spoken to others,
and emailed with even more. Gosh darn it...... I love you guys!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old August 18th 03, 01:26 AM
Joy Quilts

Hi Diana!

I'm glad you're recovering well =). Here's my story for you and it's the
absolute truth - you may be shocked when you read it!

How I came to post at RCTQ:
Remember e-mail address was "Chaingang" at first? You ask why? Because I
was ready to harvest e-mail addresses and spam everyone in a get rich quick
scheme. Cold hearted and just wanted some cold hard cash. You probably
know the scheme. It's the one where you "sell" e-mailed reports for $5 each
and you sell so much, it compounds, and sooner than you know it, you're out
of debt, have tons of money in the bank and just get more.

Well, I had to lurk before posting my spam e-mail, right? I didn't post
here but of course I posted elsewhere - I was naive, you know! Of course it
didn't work. But I kept reading posts here and really enjoyed this group of
people. Decided to nix the whole get rich quick stuff and stay and get some
quilting questions answered.

Why I stay:
I've gone to other lists since then but this one is truly the best! Lots of
experienced quilters as well as new quilters like me, so the questions that
get posted are usually ones that I'd like to ask, too. The advice is great!
I've built up a library of "necessary" books based on what others have said
are good books to have. I've improved in my machine quilting as well as my
machine piecing. Of course, I've made friends here, including you, Diana,
and wouldn't dream of leaving. If I don't post often, it's because of the
three little ones, my full time job, and my now part time job to try and
make ends meet.

How I came to be a quilter:
I've sewn since I was 11 when my mom sent me to sewing school one summer.
I've been sewing garments and crafts since then. I decided to take up a
Hawaiian Quilting class at work (1998 I think), where they try to keep the
Hawaiian culture alive. Being part-Hawaiian, I thought it would be a good
thing to do. Then I got a pattern off the internet and made a quick baby
quilt for DD1. Couldn't stop since then!

What I hope to find in my quilting futu
I would like to get better at machine quilting. So far I can stipple and
meander but I've never drawn a design and quilted it. So that's next.

--
A Joy in Hawaii
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts

Old August 18th 03, 01:58 AM
frood

I can't remember how I found the group, my DH probably did for me, but it
was in 1999, I think! Wait, DD#2 was born in '97, so it must have been then,
cuz I was working on some quilts at the time and I remember asking questions
about thread basting. What I learned: don't try to thread-baste a quilt on
the floor while 8 months pregnant. :-)

Why I stay? That's easy - everybody is so great here! I have a large number
of quilting friends (even if I haven't met most of them in person), a
support group of experienced quilters to ask questions of, and a place to
get a laugh or a hug whenever I need it.

I used to be a weaver - I've always done some hand work or other - and I
used to sew clothes. I wove baby blankets for DD#1 and DS, as well as a
couple of nieces. But with kids, I couldn't set up my loom anymore. For a
long time, DD#1 had her crib in my weaving room! Once she started crawling,
it had to be put away. I took up sewing again, making baby clothes. DS's
blanket was woven at a community center - another thing not to do while 8
months pregnant!

DH asked me what I was going to do for DD#2's blanket. I dunno what
happened, I just decided to make a quilt. I can sew, right? How hard can it
be? And my best friend was having a baby, too, so I wanted to make a quilt
for her baby. Then, of course, DS would need one for his big boy bed, since
he was getting booted out of the crib. By that time I was well and truely
hooked! It didn't hurt that the lady who sold me weaving supplies had
diverged her business (they sold knitting supplies, finished pottery and
finished quilts) into just quilting supplies, and some finished pottery,
too. Her partner took over the yarn part of hte business. How great was
that? A LQS owner I knew! She's a great lady, too!

For the future, I want to improve my skills, yadda yadda... I also want to
make more quilts for my home, as wall hangings, and for more beds - not
every bed has a quilt yet. And, I really want to teach a class on some
aspect of quilting, and I'm working on that goal now! :-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 18th 03, 02:03 AM
Butterfly

SHE's HEALING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Truly that bored" is the BESTESTESTEST thing I have read all day
Butterfly (letting my finners do a HAPPY HAPPY for you)

Diana Curtis wrote:

Does this mean you came here before you started ever quilting or am I
reading it bass ackwards?
This is a truly good story too. Thank you Dawn!
Diana, truly that bored.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
. ca...

Old August 18th 03, 02:09 AM
Shelly

Hi Diana,
I was looking through the newsgroups for a quilters group to join so
that I could get more ideas for quilting, especially more links but most of
all for new friends like yourself. ;o) I stay here because I love the group,
the charm, brains and camaraderie of the group. My grandmother taught me to
quilt and sew as a child. I started quilting alone a couple of years ago
because I needed a "special gift" for a very special friend's new grandbaby.
I'm sure that you know the type friend I am referring to. The kind where
just an ordinary set of baby bottles or diapers just wouldn't do. ;o) The
little fellow was around a year old before he got his special gift.
As for my quilting future, I see several UFO's, WIP's, lots of new projects
(enough to last a lifetime), and maybe one day I'll have my own
quilting/fabric shop or a combo woodworking shop! That is my ultimate goal.
I wish for you a speedy recovery and can't wait to see that BOM as soon as
your up to it!
Shelly
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored