A Test: Political & Social Compass

Old January 8th 04, 10:06 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default A Test: Political & Social Compass

A few months back, someone posted a site with a test to see where you
were at on the political scale: right or left.

The following site does this a little better, has some interesting
statements to make about social and economic "visions", past and current
global leaders and where they are in the spector.

For those interested in this issue, take the test and read the
documentation. I found it fascinating. The questions intriguing, and
often times difficult to answer.

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...ass/index.html

Old January 8th 04, 11:07 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Really? I found it slanted to the Libertarian side, as was to be expected
from the sponsor; strongly centered on personal responsibility.

That said - I've take similar "tests" before and "knew" where I stood. I
have a complaint with the structuring of the test - a "no opinion" option
was needed. Some issues, I have no opinion on and really don't need to at
this time.
Cheryl

Old January 8th 04, 11:49 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Oh, goody. That's why I posted about this: to get other's opinions.
My husband found this site last night and showed me his results and
printed out the page. So, I went this afternoon, found my results
similar to his, and thought it would be fun to see how others viewed this.

But I don't know how you found this slanted . . . since you could answer
either way. The questions seemed to me well rounded: from religion to
economics to race to gays to child rearing. I'm mean, if you're a
roaring right, left, libertarian or (forgot the other one) - your
answers would indicate that, wouldn't they? I mean, Hussein wouldn't
answer the questions the same way??? Or am I missing what you're
getting at?

On another test I took that someone posted, I was a centrist. I shore
wasn't on this one. g

I think there was a reason for "no opinion" but you *really* don't go
through life without an opinion. You're either/or. You spank or you
don't. You think segregation is great or you don't. You can't not have
an opinion as you go about your daily life. And you have a choice
between "strong" or modest opinion.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Dianne

Old January 9th 04, 12:15 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dianne , this is very interesting to read , but could you please
explain to me , why people need a test , ?? to know which side of the
scale they are ?? i am really curious ? who prepared the questions ?
aren`t they made so that people will think something the makers of the
questionaire wanted them to think ???
How can you be sure of it ??
just curious mirjam

Old January 9th 04, 03:57 AM
mondaymorning

I went to the site and took the test. I felt that the some of the questions
were not worded in a way that answers could be given correctly. One example
was: Mothers may have careers but their first duty is to be homemakers. One
was to answer agree or disagree. I don't think anyone's first duty is to be
a homemaker but I sure do think anyone who is a Mother has a duty to put
that job first. Being a homemaker and a Mother are not the same thing.

There were many other questions which presented the same dilemma.
So I got fixed in a position....but was it accurate? I don't think so.

Old January 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I went back to the site after Cheryl's post and did some digging. If
you read the "FAQ's" page, most of this is answered.

Actually, homemaker and mother go hand in hand. You can't do one
without the other. It's the word you hate? Yes, you can put the kid in
day care, hire a housekeeper, see the child between work and bedtime,
and still be a mother and care about your child. But the question made
you stop and think. The FAQ page answers some of this.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but either you think children come first
above all else and you stay with them (homemaker) or you slightly agree,
or slightly disagree or strongly favor one side or the other. If you
are being forced to work because of economic times, that won't change
your opinion on how you feel it SHOULD be done. Feminists are equating
work with freedom, and in my personal opinion, that's rather upside down
thinking.

I'm going back there today to read a few other pages which I just
glossed over yesterday. As the site says: this will get dialogue
going, which is so important. I was SHOCKED to see Dean just to the
left of Bush. Who fared as a libertarian-left? Kucinich! I'll have to
dig further. grin
Dianne

Old January 9th 04, 03:44 PM
Brenda Lewis

Several questions left me with the feeling that I don't know enough
about what's *really* going on to give an answer. Perhaps that is
supposed to tell me I don't believe what is reported by the media.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 9th 04, 04:28 PM
mondaymorning

I don't hate the word "homemaker" at all. I just don't see it the way you
do. My belief is that you may or may not be in the business world and still
be or not be a good mother or homemaker. Homemaker to me implies taking
care of a home. Mother is taking care of child. I see people who are
terrible homemakers but wonderful Mothers and also terrible Mothers but
wonderful homemakers. Everyone is a homemaker in some form unless they are
fortunate enough to be waited on hand and foot.

My problem with the question was that for me, it was two questions in one
which would have been answered differently. I answered it by disregarding
the second part of the question.

compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 04:06 PM
Test post Paulette I. Beads 2 August 14th 04 08:05 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM