OT-Reading Materials

Old May 23rd 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT-Reading Materials

On 5/23/10 12:17 PM, in article
, "Liz from
Humbug" wrote:

On May 22, 4:26*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 5/22/10 1:44 AM, in article
, "Liz from

Humbug" wrote:
On May 21, 3:18*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 5/20/10 11:23 PM, in article
, "Liz from

Humbug" wrote:
On May 20, 10:37*am, "Lucille" wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. * Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. *Not the great
American
novel, just something entertaining. *I love mysteries and contemporary
novels. *Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, by Sara Kate Lynch. *It's actually more
fun to listen to but it was also a good read. *It is FULL of twists
and turns that will keep you guessing and laughing, and maybe even
crying. *Or, there is Shadow of the Wind. *It takes place in Barcelona
after WWII. *I think the author on that one is "Zafon", but I don't
remember exactly. *Happy Reading!
Liz from Humbug

That was *good one and I read her other one too - oh what was it now.. By
Bread Alone. And it turns out she has a whole bunch of others too.

Another thought, though maybe not for book #1, is anything from Katie
Fforde. Perky little romances.

Cheryl

Oh, I forgot about those! I discovered them accidentally while looking
up Jasper Fforde and decided that I like Katie's books even
better. :-) *Right now, I'm re-reading the Amelia Peabody books.

Liz from Humbug

Aren't they fun. If you want something slightly *more earthy but in similar
vein, look for Katie McAllister's regency romps or her contemporary novels
(The Corset Diaries is a good place to start) - really really fun.

I adored the early Amelias. They were fun and frothy and good mysteries but
some time around when kids become adults, well, they lose their charm for
me.

If you want more Elizabeth Peters and IF you can find them read "The Camelot
Caper", and then all the Vicki Bliss books - in order. Talk about fun. And I
love most of her early stand alone books and the librarian series is good
too. My personal favorite is the "Summer of the Dragon Bones". You can tell
some one with archeological knowledge and who knows the Southwestern US
wrote it. (this gives a good reason to pour through *books at thrift shops
and such and gives you an excuse to see what is in the craft sections.)

Cheryl

I remembered another short mystery series this morning, by Roberta
Gellis. There are only three in the series but they're fun AND, to
keep this all on topic, when the ladies in the Priory are not working,
they design and stitch fine linens and alter cloths to augment their
income!!!!!!! :-))) The following edited quote is taken from her
website:

"A MOST UNHOLY ABBESS
Magdalene la Bātarde is the whoremistress of the Old Priory Guesthouse
in Southwark--where pleasures of the flesh forbidden in London are
legal.
A MOST DEVOTED KNIGHT
Sir Bellamy of Itchen is ordered by the Bishop of Winchester to
investigate Baldassare's death and to watch carefully the actions of
the beautiful and mysterious Magdalene. Sir Bellamy finds that order
all too easy to follow. He would be delighted to follow it right into
Magdalene's bed--however, duty forbids. Bell does not wish to see
Magdalene hanged for murder, but it is soon apparent that she is
hiding something and is involved in the messenger's death right up to
her exquisite eyebrows."

Liz from Humbug

Oh - I loved that series and it seems to have died. I read all of Gellis's
romances, her "Greek God Series" some of her science fiction.

Cheryl

Old May 23rd 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/23/10 2:03 PM, in article ,
"Bruce Fletcher" wrote:

On 23/05/2010 17:17, Liz from Humbug wrote:
[...]

Maureen has enjoyed reading the Sister Fidelma series
http://www.sisterfidelma.com/body.htm
Bruce

I really liked the first few, but after that, they lost their appeal. While
the writing is good, it just "lost me"

Cheryl

Old June 18th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
O Liz from Humbug
Aren't they fun. If you want something slightly more earthy but in similar
vein, look for Katie McAllister's regency romps or her contemporary novels
(The Corset Diaries is a good place to start) - really really fun.

I adored the early Amelias. They were fun and frothy and good mysteries but
some time around when kids become adults, well, they lose their charm for
me.

I read a couple of these. Katie Mac Allisters..giggled.......but I think
they are of a curtain age group/genre. Won't bother again.
Old June 18th 10, 12:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/17/10 9:04 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
O Liz from Humbug
Aren't they fun. If you want something slightly more earthy but in similar
vein, look for Katie McAllister's regency romps or her contemporary novels
(The Corset Diaries is a good place to start) - really really fun.

I adored the early Amelias. They were fun and frothy and good mysteries but
some time around when kids become adults, well, they lose their charm for
me.

I read a couple of these. Katie Mac Allisters..giggled.......but I think
they are of a curtain age group/genre. Won't bother again.

Hmm - which ones did you read?

Cheryl

Mixing materials hh Quilting 5 October 29th 07 01:21 AM
braiding reading materials Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 1 August 9th 07 04:38 AM
Using Unusual Materials Min Quilting 27 June 12th 06 05:08 PM
Working with odd materials... Valerie Yarn 26 October 19th 04 02:57 PM
Raw materials C A . Butler Polymer Clay 1 October 17th 04 02:40 AM