A Favor of you Please

Old August 18th 03, 04:45 AM
Diana Curtis

Im so glad to know Im not the only one worn ragged by someone a fraction of
my age!
Thank you for your story. It was not what I expected. *they never are* .
What surprises me is that you assume we might forget you if you didnt post a
lot. Nope. You have an unforgettable name. :-)
Thanks Jan!!!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
ink.net...
Glad to hear you are doing better! I don't know how entertaining it
will be, but here it goes.....

Back when Hubby and I got married in 1994, he was a consultant hired to
help the State of Delaware government offices and schools etc, get wired
for internet access. I was a stay at home wife, and of course became
the guinea pig for all experiments new. When he took a new job and we
moved to the midwest in 1995?, I was a snow bound bored woman who
discovered many newsgroups, including this one. I had quilted some, but
now I was in a strange place, bored and internet addicted :-) This
group was always there to answer my questions. Between this group and
Simply Quilts, I made some really fun pieces.

Now days, I stay mainly because it's comfy. I don't have much time to
quilt because I have an active 18 month old daughter. Hubby has a new
job, so I don't even read as much as I used to. But it's like that
comfortable old friend where you just pick up where you left off even if
it's been awhile. The funniest part is we've changed addresses so many
times, and I'm pretty quiet, so most assume I'm new. :-)

Hope it amused you for at least 2 minutes! I'm off to bed... yeppers at
8 pm...... little one wore me ragged and hubby actually has a couple of
moments. I'm taking a QI and catching some ZZZsss.

Jan

Old August 18th 03, 05:29 AM
melinda

Diana Curtis wrote:
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

I wanted to do some hand work that was different to long-stitch (got boring!)
but wasn't x-stitch (DSis is too good at it!), and in a way I fell into
patchwork to start off with to use up scraps from sewing clothes. That was
back in '95. I completed a few hot-pot holders, but what I started working
on initially is now finished! I'm basically self-taught from books.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 18th 03, 05:40 AM
Pati Cook

Well, I have been on RCTQ for not quite 2 years. I finally got the computer set
up, and the net account up and running. DH sat down with me and said what
newsgroup should we check out. I said "quilting", so he called up quilting
newsgrous, this was the first on the list and I never checked any others. That
was in January of 2001.
I stay because it is fun, educational and I like the people and byplay that goes
on.
Quilting was an outgrowth of sewing in general for me. My degree is in Clothing
and Textiles, almost a master's in C&T along with work toward a master's in
Adult Ed. I was working at House of Fabrics (assistant manager/sewing machine
manager) when HoF was bought by the company that became Jo-Ann Stores. Stayed
on through many changes in 3 years, finally got fed up enough to quit. One of
the things that led to my quitting also led to my quilting. G We had to wear
a "uniform" for JAS. Khaki bottoms and white shirts (or shirts with the JAS
logo we could purchase from a specfic company ) Had to have some way to channel
the creative sewing I needed to do. (As much as I was working I wasn't wearing
much but uniform, and what other clothes I already had were sitting in the
closet) So I started with some quilting. I had taken a beginning hand quilting
class several years ago, and just went on from there.
Now I am finally beginning to teach quilt classes and design my own quilts.
Eventually I hope to have some of my designs out for sale as patterns (a couple
of people have already asked about buying patterns of a couple of my quilts.)
Have some ideas for quilt books and want to become a really good teacher.

Hope this entertains you some what,

Pati, in Phx.

Old August 18th 03, 05:48 AM
MerryStahel

I was tiny when I left my grandmother's house, about 3 years old. Didn't ever
see her again, until I was an adult. But something must have stuck in my
infant mind. According to family lore, when she sat down, she had a box of
scraps and she constantly hand-pieced quilts. When I went to see her as an
adult - sure enough, she was sitting in her recliner, piecing a bow-tie quilt
top.

I was always fascinated by the needle arts. I took a class in high school,
back in 1972 or so called Home Arts. I had to take it because the cooking
class I really wanted was full, and it was the only one left open.

The teacher taught us how to crochet, crewel embroidery, cross-stitch,
hardanger, Swedish weaving (not what it sounds like, it is a form of woven
cross-stitch), latch-hook and twisted braid ties. She took us to her house,
where she showed us her wall to wall carpet, made entirely by herself and her
family...yeah. Dedicated woman!

I loved the needle arts. I kept thinking, I want to make all my own things,
too (call it a hippie era complex G).

I started collecting and trading crafts. Someone taught me to broomstick
crochet. I taught them another stitch they didn't know. And so on.

When I got married in 1978, I desperately wanted to make a quilt. Finally, DH
signed me up for a class in 1979. We had to drive 35 miles to get to it, and
there were like 6 classes. I didn't drive then, either, so DH had to drive me.
I started making a log cabin quilt. That quilt is still not finished. I even
still have the fabric.

Then I got busy with babies. No time to quilt. In 1984, we moved to Monterey
CA. Some lady down the block offered a quilt class. She had a pattern for a
small wall hanging, in which one learned all the techniques. Applique,
piecing, making your own binding, making your own templates, quilting the
sandwich, and doing the corner bindings right, either squared or
triangulated...and doing it ALL by hand. I finished that wall-hanging. The
colors are mediocre, because I wasn't brave back then. But it hangs on my wall
as my first truly finished quilt.

I also took jointed teddy-bear making classes and guitar classes G.

Then we moved again and life got busy. And then we moved to PA, the heart of
quilt country. I joined a guild in 1991. I stayed in it a year and didn't
learn a thing, because basically, it was all business. No sitting around a
frame quilting, although they did do some workshops you could pay to attend.

And then I saw Solar Eclipse II (Caryl Bryer Fallert). Man, I wanted to make
quilts like THAT. It was the FIRST machine quilted quilt to win the Houston
Quilt Show Best Of Show.

I paid to learn machine quilting from Harriet Hargrave. I've never looked
back. I also paid to learn a kalaidascope technique involving a triangle
ruler. That quilt is a UFO. And I paid to learn rotary cutter techniques.
That quilt is also unfinished, but it was due to being lost for over 5 years.
I guess I should finish it, now I found it...its also my one of my last
hand-quilted quilts.

While in the quilt guild, I finished only 3 quilts - one of which went to
charity auction and raised the most money of all of them. It was a simple
embroidered cat quilt, lap-size. The man who bought it paid $75 for it.

I dropped out of the guild after a year, due to family crisis after family
crisis. By the time I was ready to quilt again - I was also on the Internet.
I didn't want to join a guild, but I wanted to talk quilts.

I did a search and here you were. I posted a little about myself and the rest
is history. I've since made over 100 quilts.

I was the person who challenged myself to finish a quilt a week for a New
Year's resolution, and managed to make 30 before another family crisis took all
my time...

As for the Needle Arts - I don't want to do ANY of them anymore. Quilting is
what I love best.

Oh, and I only own 3 of my own quilts. Family and friends have the rest...

Merry

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old August 18th 03, 06:12 AM
shhdesigns

Oh Diana, here is my sad tale to share.
I came to quilt making via needlework and teddy bear making. I move to New
Westminster in 1988. I'd made Teddies for some time and needlework since
the 70's. A friend told me of the shop in Burnaby and by entering a teddy
bear snow angel ornament in their Christmas ornament challenge I got to know
the shop.
They were primarily quilting and needlework/cross-stitch.
I got to know the owner and long story short, started to go the Wednesday
night drop in. Then progressed to teaching teddy classes and then on to
quilting.
Well the Cross-stitch and Teddies are on the sideline more now and Quilting
is more my main interest.
My friend Deni in Burnaby introduced me to the ng about 1998 when my brother
built me my first computer. We'd met at a retreat from that infamous shop
in Burnaby. Well she e-mailed Sairey, and I met her before the group and so
the tale ends.
I love meeting folks in my travels, as you can attest from my visit to
Houston last year. I've been fortunate to meet a few of our friends from
Britain at Donna Dean in Bellevue's, had Phyllis [BBL] sleep over at my
place. Met some of our Canadian friends, go to San Diego and also Houston.
I've slept at Sairey's hostel, and met Florence in Tucson and her husband
Ren. I almost met up with Dragonfly [Pam] in Albuquerque except her phone
answering machine was acting up.
I hope to meet even more of our great RTCQ friends and be a part of the
group for many years to come.
Another traveloque will be due shortly, as I'm due vacation at the end of
the month, not sure where I'm going, but will share with all on my return.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old August 18th 03, 06:22 AM
K. Reece

The bored part of recovering is the hardest. I hope it goes fast for you.

I found RCTQ when I had a webtv. I was just searching thru the list of
groups on "discuss" and ran across this one. That was back in late 98 or
early 99. I don't always have time to read or post but I try to check in on
a regular basis. At that time I was trying to finish my first quilt. I had
started it in 1979 and it needed quilted. I hand quilted it and it's
hanging over the back of my couch right now. When I finished that quilt the
quilting bug really took hold and I've made several quilts since then. I've
even managed to win a grand champion ribbon at the county fair two years in
a row now. (a quilted pillow and a tree skirt) The problem with that is you
have to come up with something bigger and better every year!

Kathy in Ks.

Old August 18th 03, 06:51 AM
Jalynne

Man, Diana, you two really have something in common, don't you? It's a shame that
even though so many advances have been made in medicine, our bodies have a way of
throwing doctors a curve ball...hehe.

--
Jalynne

"Mika" wrote in message
.net...
Hi Diana. Glad to know that you are now at the healing stage of being bored.
I feel for you. I had my gb out in 1979 when they still did the old
fashioned incision. Laser surgery was...well a dream of the future at that
time. Anyway...

Old August 18th 03, 10:18 AM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

I resisted quilting for a loooooong time! I refused to get into it...
It was hard, but I stuck to clothes and household items like curtains...

I had a small venture when I made a baby quilt for my son, but it didn't
really count! I did a few 'mock quilts' on the serger, with the wadding
unquilted... See, I was trying, but it called!

Then I decided that resistance was futile! I was going to make a PROPER
quilt for my son! A space quilt, with planets and rockets and aliens
all over it... I came here to ask for advice, steered by friends from
other news groups. The advice was excellent: I made a practice quilt of
friendship stars, and then did the Space Quilt. Then another followed
by accident... Then I got into squishies and swaps and wanted a quilt
for me and stared another and got into a couple of other things like the
Row Robin and the Starry Starry Night swap... It's an addiction! I
will never stop!

And this is the best group on the planet for advice about anything from
quilting techniques to blocked drains and HRT! Who needs anything else?
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 18th 03, 10:56 AM
Sharon Harper

Cheers Helen!

That's why I loved doing this Row Robin (and the Round Robin preceding it).
It has made me gradually step "outside the square" and do things I wouldn't
normally do. And I can't wait for next time either!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Helen Hansen-Pye" wrote in message
Hi Diana

I got into RCTQ by being bored on teh internet one day. My husband
suggested that I might enjoy newsgroups since I find surfing incredibly
boring. Well, in a nutshell, he was wrong, in a nutshell most newsgroups
are incredibly boring. Just alot of little minds who are sure that what
they have to say is of some importance......EXCEPT RCTQ. I know I dont

post
often, but I always read! I just love the newsgroup. I have got files of
posts that I have kept because thay have touched my heart in some way

(most
of Mr Bear for example), or because thay have naswered a question. My
bookmarls are full to groaning from the wonderful urls some of our more
patient ladies post (thank you from the bottom of my heart whoever it was
that showed me the Quilter's Cache site!!)

I came to be a quilter by reading Laura Ingalls Wilder as a child. I so
wanted to be just like her, but we just didnt have the same kind of life

and
I dont think my mother ever will understand the idea of cutting up fabric
just to sew it back into a sqauare again! I taught myself out of library
books and magazines (and of course all you fine ladies.) I have attended
one class and only went once cos it was so bad!!

In my quilting future I hope to find the courage to step away from doing
what I always do.. I love the traditional blocks, I just cant get my head
around the art quilt or applique to be perfectly honest. One day I will
work it out!

Cheers and kia ora
HelenNZ
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

---

Old August 18th 03, 12:07 PM
georg

Diana Curtis wrote:
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol

I go through phases of what interests me mosts, and my usenet posting
history has reflected this. It boils down also to how much time I have
to spend on the computer- the more I have, the more groups I get
hyperactive on.

This past year, I've been more fascinated by quilting. So I came here in
January after finishing a wall hanging for my mom. Sadly, I haven't had
the actual time or funds to work on my quilting like I would like to. So
I come here to talk about quilts, and plot my next projects. And all of
you ladies and gentlemen are quite generous and supportive. There are
only a few instances of flared tempers, but I can dodge those arguments
all right. And I've seen more beautiful fabrics and quilts since coming
here than before. So I'm enjoying my visit here. I'm guessing I'll
actually be posting less when I have the time and money to quilt.

I mostly peek in during the day as a short study break, and then return
to my homework.

But the quilting is something that has deepened my friendship with Rose,
and that's certainly not a bad thing. =)

-georg