OT Over range microwave

Old June 1st 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

Default OT Over range microwave

Hi all,
I've been researching over the range microwaves and none of them have good
reviews for how long they last. Our current microwave is 12 years old and
running fine, but we are putting in cabinets to go from one row to an L shape
As part of the L we want to move the microwave to the wall to get back counter
space. If every microwave is as bad as the reviews say then they only last
three or less years now. So I was wondering does anyone have an over the range
microwave has lasted longer than that?
Has the quality really gone down hill that badly for all manufacturers?

-Margaret in MA
--
Margaret St. John
Let it snow!!
Old June 1st 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Margaret St. John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I had my Whirlpool for 11 years when a rubber bumper was put in there by
accident, caught fire and burned a hole in the bottom. It was still working
perfectly.

I replaced it with another Whirlpool and that's fine after 4 years of heavy
use.

Lucille

Old June 1st 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

I have had an over-range microwave for over 10 years and it works
beautifully. It's a GE. However, if and when it fails I will simply
have it replaced. One thing you might consider is having a "hole" for
a regular microwave oven in your cabinet area, with a hole at the back
of the bottom for the cord and the electrical outlet just under it on
the wall, or with the outlet in the wall in the back of the hole for
the oven. Of course, you will need to know how large that space needs
to be for adequate air flow around the oven . . .
Old June 1st 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"Margaret St. John" ) writes:
Hi all,
I've been researching over the range microwaves and none of them have good
reviews for how long they last. Our current microwave is 12 years old and
running fine, but we are putting in cabinets to go from one row to an L shape
As part of the L we want to move the microwave to the wall to get back counter
space. If every microwave is as bad as the reviews say then they only last
three or less years now. So I was wondering does anyone have an over the range
microwave has lasted longer than that?
Has the quality really gone down hill that badly for all manufacturers?

-Margaret in MA
--

I go to the cheapie stores, and buy the cheapest microwave I can find that
fits what I want. These days this is of the order of $100 Canadian. The last
Old June 1st 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Sorry to follow my own post, but I forgot to say:

"Knock on wood!"

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old June 2nd 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucille" wrote in message

[...]

I should add that mine is an over the range model.

Old June 2nd 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:27:37 GMT, "Margaret St. John"
wrote:

Hi all,
I've been researching over the range microwaves and none of them have
good
reviews for how long they last. Our current microwave is 12 years old
and running fine, but we are putting in cabinets to go from one row
to an L shape
As part of the L we want to move the microwave to the wall to get
back counter
space. If every microwave is as bad as the reviews say then they only
last
three or less years now. So I was wondering does anyone have an over
the range microwave has lasted longer than that? Has the quality
really gone down hill that badly for all manufacturers?

-Margaret in MA

We bought a GE seven years ago and it's going strong. A fan broke after
a couple of years. We had it replaced and so far . . . so good.

And, as Sue said: "Knock on wood" because I wouldn't want to go through
the arduous task of replacing it.

Nothing lasts anymore. We had to replace our stove a couple years ago
and it was told to us by more than one dealer: 7 years life expectancy.
We know that we will have to replace our refrigerator soon. 17 years
and counting. It's an Amana, but we looked at new Amanas and they are
*not* the same high quality.

Dianne

microwave kilns? Larry[_2_] Glass 2 May 10th 10 11:35 PM
Microwave Kilns nJb[_2_] Glass 7 June 18th 08 12:18 AM
OT Microwave ovens Karen C in California Needlework 1 September 26th 07 11:10 PM
Microwave pot holders & 'Hi again' RMcC Quilting 2 October 16th 03 08:38 PM
microwave drying services Dirk General Crafting 0 July 9th 03 12:12 PM