OT - Gas Bbq Propane Tanks - Long but important

Old May 13th 04, 07:40 PM
Shirley Ellen

Default OT - Gas Bbq Propane Tanks - Long but important

We had a very scary experience last weekend and I want to warn others so
that it doesn't happen to them. My 27yo DD and her BF bought a new gas bbq.
She has never filled a propane tank before and when she took it to the gas
station she told the fellow there that. He filled it, charged her the $20
and then told her that the tank was damaged and she should have it replaced
by the store where she bought it. He also told her it would be okay to use
until she had time to return it. She was totally pi$$ed off at having to pay
the $20 but couldn't talk to the guy because he was East Indian and barely
spoke English.

She went home to the condo and parked in the underground garage while she
went upstairs to get her BF because she wanted to take the tank back right
away rather than use it. When they got back down to the car the smell of the
propane was so bad that BF started to feel sick and woozy. So she called the
fire dept. They came and put the tank out in the middle of the parking lot
and told her not to let anyone smoke in her car for a week because the tank
was leaking!! Not knowing any better she and BF got in the car with all the
windows open and drove (on the highway) to the store where they'd bought it
to return it. Luckily BF remembered the signs they have at gas stations to
turn off cell phones when filling up.

When DH heard the story he flipped out. He called a friend of ours who is a
fire chief and asked about it. She had been driving a bomb with that thing
in her trunk. If one of the cell phones had rung they'd be dead. There was a
case of a propane tank going off under an apt building and the blask took
out the suite above it. Needless to say this was a very scary experience...
my mind can't even contemplate what the results could have been.. it won't
go there.

So a warning to anyone who uses a gas bbq... make sure your propane tanks
are safe and make sure that when they are filled the person filling them is
licensed to do so.

Off to write a letter of complaint to Shell Canada demanding these guys be
reprimanded or forced to undergo licensing again to dispense this stuff.

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://ca.geocities.com/meadow1951/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old May 13th 04, 07:52 PM
Taria

Its against the law here to fill a tank that isn't up to standards.
How much is propane there? Jeez, DH had 2 tanks filled here last
week for under $20.00. Seems like it is $2 something a gallon but
been a while since I actually went myself and remember.
Glad your DD is safe.
Taria

Old May 13th 04, 08:12 PM
Shirley Ellen

I have the receipt here and it gives the price as .54 a litre. It was a 30
litre tank. We're in Canada and a litre is abt the same as one of our quarts
(and there are 4 quarts to a gallon). We've told her in future that she can
go to the local tool/lawn mower rental place and get a full, safe, tank for
$15. If we'd known what she was doing we would have insisted on that.. but
she wants to be independent.. which we appreciate most of the time but not
this time.

Shirley

Old May 13th 04, 08:32 PM
Polly Esther

I just told DH about your DD's adventure. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned
it. Polly

Old May 13th 04, 08:35 PM
georg

Shirley Ellen wrote:

I have the receipt here and it gives the price as .54 a litre. It was a 30
litre tank. We're in Canada and a litre is abt the same as one of our quarts
(and there are 4 quarts to a gallon). We've told her in future that she can
go to the local tool/lawn mower rental place and get a full, safe, tank for
$15. If we'd known what she was doing we would have insisted on that.. but
she wants to be independent.. which we appreciate most of the time but not
this time.

Shirley

We have a place that caters to BBQ grills only where I get mine filled
(and repaired if needed). They also deliver propane in the area. I have
a lot of confidence in that business. They also are very cheap and price
by the pound.

Definitely be careful with a full tank and keeping all tanks in repair.
This is a good warning.

-georg

Old May 13th 04, 10:33 PM
Polly Esther

Because - I thought his hair was going to catch on fire. The very idea
of that guy filling a defective tank. Grrrrrrr! DH is retired and worked
around very dangerous, explosive stuff. Trying to keep the guys who worked
for him as safe as humanly possible was mighty important to him. Polly

"Shirley Ellen" wrote in message
Why not?

Old May 13th 04, 11:49 PM
Shirley Ellen

Ah... I see. Understandable. I've sent a registered letter to Shell Canada
and hopefully they will follow this up. If not we can apparently contact
Workers Comp Safety Dept and they will shut this station down completely. I
want to give them a chance at redemption before I go that far.

Shirley

Old May 14th 04, 06:49 PM
MelissaInNJ

How horrible!!! There is one consolation. If the cell phone had rung,
they wouldn't have blown up. That is a myth. Not only can you read
about the myth below, I have also seen a TV show where this is
debunked.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Melissa in NJ

Old May 14th 04, 07:18 PM
Roberta Zollner

Gives me shivers just thinking about it! I'm so glad nothing happened!

BTW, there was a quiz show on TV the other night (I watch these things
because they do help me learn German) where they doused the inside of a
small mobile home with lighter fluid. The 2 contestants had to decide which
would cause an explosion: cell phones ringing, a tape deck playing, or
somebody wearing synthetic clothing. Guess what? Answer 3! They tried
putting a dozen or so phones in it, rang them all at once, nothing happened.
Modern cell phones apparently do not give off sparks. But somebody wearing a
nylon suit rubbed his arms back and forth to build up static, touched his
finger to a wire (at a safe distance), and the mobile home exploded. Very
impressive. Yet another argument for cotton.
Roberta in D

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM
Insomniac's Rant and Link to Breathtaking Lampwork Flower Pendants (LONG) Tinkster Beads 7 March 14th 04 07:52 AM