OT for those having trouble with newsgroups

Old October 12th 04, 01:04 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Default OT for those having trouble with newsgroups

Several folks had the same problem that I did--messages just hours old would
come up "no longer available on the newsgroup." And there were replies to
messages I had never seen. I switched my news service from Qwest to
TeraNews, and had better luck, but when I sent a message I could not see it
for 24 hours--if ever. Last night I tried SuperNews (with whom I also have
an account) and found that there are 98,967 messages on RCTQ! There are
3,428 on TeraNews and I can't remember how many on Qwest but about the same
number as on TeraNews.

NAYY. Just my own findings in the past two (frustrating) weeks of newsgroup
reading.

I'm disappointed, too. I never expected Qwest's news server to have the
retention rate of SuperNews--after all, the usual reason one pays for a
premium news server is for the longer retention and better completion rate
of binary files. But I certainly never expected Qwest to go for some
slacker bargain news server that can't even keep up to date on text
messages.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old October 12th 04, 04:04 PM
Christina In Ok

Hello Carolyn,
I have used Tara news in the past, But a few months ago when I tired to come
back to this newsgroup, I learned that I could not even log into my Tara
newsgroup account. (nor found the web site I paid at)
Maybe Tara newsgroups where just having problems when I tired to come back.
I also have tired a few "paid newsgroups" but I usually find them wanting
too much money. or slow or dead service.
even thought your having problems with your own ISP for newsgroups. I would
hound them, explain what you use newsgroups for, and tell them about your
problems.
My ISP Company did fix their problems which I can now use My own ISP for
RCTQ.
I can only hope that your ISP would do the same.
I am sorry your having so much problems, as I have been down the same path
and know how frustrated you can become

Old October 12th 04, 10:14 PM
The Laws

[...]

Thanks for your efforts, I too am having the same problems, I wonder how

many of the regulars are missing a lot of the messages? Kay