Silk Floss

Old January 27th 04, 01:06 AM
Lucille

Shouldn't your exclamation point be inside the quotation mark? That's the
way I was told to do it in modern times.

RD&H

Lucille

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
In article , Ellice

writes:

Nun's Stitch is an open-sided sauare stitch - as in done on 3 sides, as
opposed to a 4-sided stitch.

That's "square stitch"!

Karen, Professional Nitpicker

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands

(2d
one)

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Old January 27th 04, 03:03 AM
Gillian Murray

OK, Lisa,

I am dying to start on them. Any hints??? You can email me , because I do
not munge my addy!!
wrote in message
om...
FWIW, Claudia Dutcher of Dutch Treat Needlework uses the nun stitch
to edge her cross stitched tabletopper/doily designs. I've done
enough of them to know...

Lisa

Dianne Lewandowski wrote in message

Here's one perspective:
http://www.overthemoondesigns.com/StitchesNun.htm
From things I've read in the past on RCTN, if memory serves, this
page's perspective seems appropriate; i.e. it's an insertion stitch, not
an edging stitch.

On the other hand, you can use it as an edging stitch if the fabric is
folded, and I've seen this demonstrated.

From ANG, another perspective with some easier to follow graphics:
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfT...001/01-10j.htm

Old January 27th 04, 05:26 AM
Ellice

LOL - Karen, I do believe you've had your nits picked ;^) And I do
apologize for the typo - after all the "a" key is just below the "q" key -
an easy accident when I'm just touch typing. My, oh, my - what would my
typing teacher say?

bg

Ellice

On 1/26/04 8:06 PM,"Lucille" posted:

Old January 27th 04, 04:52 PM

That is how I finished my matzah cover and it came out really great. We
will use it this passover and try not to get any wine stains on it.

George

"Gillian Murray" wrote:
I have just got some of the Dutch Treat tabletoppers, and they call for
nun stitch to be used around the outer perimeter of the design, and then
you "fringe" the fabric up to that point. Just quickly looking at the
picture it brought to mind a blanket stitch. I haven't started the
project yet, though.

Gillian
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Here's one perspective:
http://www.overthemoondesigns.com/StitchesNun.htm
From things I've read in the past on RCTN, if memory serves, this
page's perspective seems appropriate; i.e. it's an insertion stitch,
not an edging stitch.

On the other hand, you can use it as an edging stitch if the fabric is
folded, and I've seen this demonstrated.

From ANG, another perspective with some easier to follow graphics:
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfT...001/01-10j.htm

Dianne

mitch wrote:
ok at the risk of showing my testosterone ..what is a nun stitch. I
dont think my guess of " I cant make NUN of those stitches because i
dont

know "
is the right answer

The Gent
"Ellice" wrote in message

On 1/25/04 10:32 AM,"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply"
posted:

From: Ellice

....... For just strengthening - I still
use wax (like doing nun-stitch on canvas with sewing thread to open
up

the

canvas holes).

One thing I don't like about using wax on needlework fibers is that
is

seems

to *always* leave a residue regardless of how often I might wash my

completed

project. Because it leaves a residue, it attracts dust and all
those

long,

lovely, luxurious KITTY hairs!!!! From your wording, I assume you
are

using

the
wax in a manner that won't affect the finished fibers. Is that
true?

From

I do agree with you, except around here it's puppy fur ;^) About the

only
time I use wax is when it's really needed to strengthen the thread

itself.
In this current instance - I'm doing a pendant stitched on 18 ct
canvas

as

base - get lots of interesting stitching, and then gets cut and
folded.

The

nun stitch is done in the outline of the template of the piece, and
is pulled to open the canvas, so that when it all gets folded back
and

joined,

with a beaded edge finish there is room for the thread which does the
joining, and the beads. Anyhow, waxing the sewing thread (Gutterman
poly-cotton) adds some strength to it. It's pretty sharp cutting thru

the
cake, and I wipe off any blobs of wax, but on the whole it gets a
good coating - just have to run the thread thru fast. Eventually it
all gets covered so I'm not worried about it gunking up with
environmental dirt.

This

piece was taught by Ruth Marie Hoffman - and she's about the 3rd

instructor

I've had that had us use wax for thread strengthening - while using

Thread
Heaven for the general de-kinking, etc.

what the Thread Heaven makers say, it doesn't attract dust and does

provide a

protective coating.
As for "bad stuff" with Thread Heaven -- the guys who made it say
they

have

tested it every way from Sunday and have found nothing wrong. They
did

some

sort of time compression study sort of thing -- accellerated aging
or something
like that in the lab -- and got decent results.

It's part of their advertizing that they've done all this work so
it's considered archival. They probably did do accelerated aging -
but I

haven't

studied it. I use it, and am happy with it, so, what the heck.

Of course, no one really knows
just exactly *what* will happen 100 years from now. I figure I'll
be

long

dead
and gone and I don't worry about that sort of long term effect!

Yup - me too, and with no kids to leave the stuff to, well, what will
be will be.

ellice

--
There is no such thing as being beneath one's dignity to put in an honests
day's work. Work *is* what gives us our dignity, as well as our sense of
Old January 27th 04, 05:24 PM
Gillian Murray

Well, glad to know it came out well! I was dreading it, since it was new to
me, but shall now blaze ahead with gay abandon!! LOL Red wine is a bit of a
worry, isn't it?

Gillian

Old January 27th 04, 06:09 PM

I found a product put out by Comfort called "Stain and Dirt Remover" that
is a spray used for carpets. It takes out red wine stains and we have used
it on upholstery when someone knocked over a glass of red wine and it went
onto a dining room cheir. I would try it on the stitching if it got
wrecked, but wine stains and grandchildren seem to go together at Passover.

George