Gridding Hint!

Old January 26th 04, 07:24 PM
mitch

sometimes you do lose a little of the chalk in the handleling of the peice
but its so easy to redraw from an existing line that its not really a
problem. I ususally use red or blue chalk on white or off whit since it
handles smudging a little better than gray. Back when so fro fabric went out
of busines , they had mechanical type pencils with tailors chalk I only saw
them once and bought 3 .. I wish i could find them again they are perfect
for gridding

The Gent

"C Cordell" wrote in message
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.needlework Date: Mon, Jan 19, 2004, 10:41am

(MST+2) From:
(mitch)

At the risk of sounding like a nontraditionalist, I
found that a good sharp piece of tailors chalk
and a staight edge work excellent for gridding
. It washes right out when you clean the
design and I never worry about splitting or
fuzzies

OH, WOW! I really like that suggestion! Sounds like it would go faster
than stitching grid lines, no question of catching grid lines in the
stitching, and come out with ease!! Now to go find tailor's chalk. The
only piece I have is a sort of greyish white color.

chris c
A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always
has good company. -Charles Evans Hughes, jurist (1862-1948)

Old January 26th 04, 10:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Bungadora wrote:
Not to mention one has to be capable of drawing a straight line - not always to
be taken for granted, even with a straight edge.

I was thinking of that, too. g There's a technique for marking fabric
called German marking. You take a pin on the back side, place it
between two ground threads and pull the fabric up so that the pin point
is scratching the fabric the entire length. It creates a crease on the
right side. This works *very* well on many fabrics . . . if you manage
to keep that pin between the same two thread lines. Takes a bit of
practise.

I was also thinking that, if the fabric was coarse enough, you could
machine grid rather easily with the newer machines that make nice long
basting stitches.

I would imagine any of these things are workable if you have the right
type of fabric. I was trying to cut aida the other day, and my poor
eyes just wouldn't keep focused. One of my lousiest cutting jobs ever.

I look at gridding as one of those "necessary" things we have to do,
like threading needles. I mean, my embroidery would go so much faster
if I didn't have to constantly begin and end threads. ggg

Dianne

Old January 27th 04, 12:25 AM
Bungadora

(Bungadora) writes:

Not to mention one has to be capable of drawing a straight line - not always
be taken for granted, even with a straight edge.

(Karen C - California)
Or, in my case, not even with the pencil wedged between *two* rulers. I'm
hopeless when it comes to drawing.

Drawing takes a lot of regular practise. I used to draw years ago, and did some
simple drafting when it was all done by hand, but never kept it up. I'm near
the bottom of the population with regards to hand-eye coordination and manual
dexterity, and I'm afraid trying to draw a straight line with my 25 year old
tailor's chalk would task me terribly. I don't mind gridding with thread - I
find it very calming, best done on a carbohydrate enriched afternoon.
Dora

Old January 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Felice Friese

"Bungadora" wrote:

Drawing takes a lot of regular practise. I used to draw years ago, and did

some
simple drafting when it was all done by hand, but never kept it up. I'm

near
the bottom of the population with regards to hand-eye coordination and

manual
dexterity, and I'm afraid trying to draw a straight line with my 25 year

old
tailor's chalk would task me terribly. I don't mind gridding with thread -

find it very calming, best done on a carbohydrate enriched afternoon.
Dora

Ah, Dora, isn't anything best done on a carbohydrate enriched afternoon?
What a delightful description!

Felice