Gridding Hint!

Old January 18th 04, 04:18 PM
Pat P

I use ordinary thread - but I snip it out just ahead ahead of where I`m
stitching. No problems at all that way., whatever you use.

Pat P

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
I posted this before, but maybe you did not see it. When you grid
use something like monofilament or quilter's thread, which does not leave
fuzzies behind, and is virtually impossible to pierce with a needle. HTH.

Chrysta Wilson ) writes:

I would actually like to hear more about gridding. I only tried to do it
once and it was kind of a disaster. It was a very detailed but small
design (one of those Gold Collection things), and I wanted to try the
gridding since miscounting seemed likely; I'm really good at miscounting
on a design with a lot of shading. I used a color that was too dark, and
it left fibers of the color on the floss and fabric, and despite my best
efforts, I managed to make it so that it was *very* hard to remove. I
finally got it all out and was thrilled with the finished work, but I
know I must have been doing something wrong.

I have been growing steadily better and more confident with my
needlework, and seem to know my limits...what I can manage without
frustration. I have recently switched to linen (which was the last thing
I asked about here) with a lot of success because I was careful to start
with a simple project, and am working my way up. Anyway, I have a large,
very highly detailed design with a zillion colors I want to try
"someday." When the someday gets here, I will need to grid if I want to
have any hope of completing it without going nuts. Any helpful tips to
add to this would be appreciated!

--
Chrysta Wilson

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any

Old January 18th 04, 04:58 PM
Bungadora

The grid can still act as a guide when you do this if the area where you
snipped is close enough to the working area. If I get lost I just run my needle
along the thread from where I removed the grid as indicated by the thread end
to find my proper place.
Dora

Old January 18th 04, 07:21 PM
Chrysta Wilson

In article , bf906
@FreeNet.Carleton.CA says...
I posted this before, but maybe you did not see it. When you grid
use something like monofilament or quilter's thread, which does not leave
fuzzies behind, and is virtually impossible to pierce with a needle. HTH.

Thanks, it does. I must have missed it the last time. I confess that if
I haven't been on here in a while the sheer volume of posts is
overwhelming, and I tend to clear it all out and start fresh.

--
Chrysta Wilson

Old January 18th 04, 07:23 PM
Jeanine3

I use 100% nylon thread for gridding. It leaves NO threads when you pull
it out. I use red for the horizontal and vertical centres and blue for
the "every ten stitches" marks. You can find coloured nylon thread in
the "upholstery" section of most sewing stores. The brand I use is
called "Signature" Heavy Duty Thread and is made in the USA.
Hope this helps!
Jeanine in Canada

Old January 19th 04, 12:46 AM
Darla

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:20:43 -0500, Chrysta Wilson
wrote:

Anyway, I have a large,
very highly detailed design with a zillion colors I want to try
"someday." When the someday gets here, I will need to grid if I want to
have any hope of completing it without going nuts. Any helpful tips to
add to this would be appreciated!

Use Sulky metallic thread to do the gridding. Also, on the TWBB,
there's a woman, Sherrin, who actually enjoys gridding! Contact her,
if the actual gridding itself is that much of a pain to you. Yes,
I've used her services, and will probably use them in the future. Go
to www.twdesignworks.com and follow the links to the BB.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old January 19th 04, 03:41 PM
mitch

At the risk of sounding like a nontraditionalist, I found that a good sharp
piece of tailors chalk and a staight edge work excellent for gridding . It
washes right out when you clean the design and I never worry about splitting
or fuzzies

Old January 26th 04, 06:16 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Just remember: tailor's chalk often isn't permanent and will smudge or
disappear with handling. I've been curious about this since I saw the
first post recommending it.

I'm in the middle of embroidering a silk piece on navy, which required a
two-step process in tracing. Chalk pencils have to constantly be
remarked . . . a big pain. But it may not be a problem for gridding.
However, in hand sewing, I've used tailor's chalk and have it disappear
at the most inappropriate times.

I'd like to hear more about this.
Dianne

C Cordell wrote:

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.needlework Date: Mon, Jan 19, 2004, 10:41am

(MST+2) From:

(mitch)

At the risk of sounding like a nontraditionalist, I
found that a good sharp piece of tailors chalk
and a staight edge work excellent for gridding
. It washes right out when you clean the
design and I never worry about splitting or
fuzzies

OH, WOW! I really like that suggestion! Sounds like it would go faster
than stitching grid lines, no question of catching grid lines in the
stitching, and come out with ease!! Now to go find tailor's chalk. The
only piece I have is a sort of greyish white color.

chris c
A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always
has good company. -Charles Evans Hughes, jurist (1862-1948)

Old January 26th 04, 07:23 PM
Bungadora

Not to mention one has to be capable of drawing a straight line - not always to
be taken for granted, even with a straight edge.

Dora