Oriental symbols?

Old January 24th 04, 09:12 PM
Starla

Default Oriental symbols?

can anyone direct me to a site that might have oriental symbols in pattern
form? I think this would be interesting to put around poems and such that I
stitch.

Thanks a million,
Starla

Old January 25th 04, 05:01 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Could you Please, define what you mean by oriental ? Far East , middle
east ? etc,,,,
mirjam On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:12:21 -0500, "Starla"

Old January 25th 04, 02:25 PM
georg

Starla wrote:
can anyone direct me to a site that might have oriental symbols in pattern
form? I think this would be interesting to put around poems and such that I
stitch.

Also, keep in mind that those "symbols" Are words. You may amuse someone
who reads the language with your horrible grammar/juxtaposition.

-georg

Old January 25th 04, 05:25 PM
bibe

"Starla" wrote in
:

can anyone direct me to a site that might have oriental symbols in
pattern form? I think this would be interesting to put around poems
and such that I stitch.

Thanks a million,
Starla

Do you mean something like kanji characters? Something like this?
http://www.craftster.org/member_proj...happinesschart
..jpg

If so, alot of kanji symbols represent one word. You can have a look he
http://japanese.about.com/bl50kanji.htm
If you click on a word, it will show the kanji symbol representing that
word. It should be easy enough to transfer these to knit/cross-stitch
chart.
Old January 25th 04, 06:42 PM
Karen C - California

In article , georg
writes:

Also, keep in mind that those "symbols" Are words. You may amuse someone
who reads the language with your horrible grammar/juxtaposition.

Mmmmmhmmmmm.

A friend who was taking a basic Chinese class was learning the word "ma". Now,
depending on whether your inflection is rising, falling, flat or wavering, "ma"
means many things. Get the inflection wrong, and instead of Ma ma ma ma (my
mother scolds the horse), you've got the horse scolding mom, or a scold being
the horse's mother.

And when I was asked to take two friends on a shopping trip to Mexico, I issued
them Rule 1, no one says "Ka-ching" or any other version of the word "ching",
or we leave immediately. You wanna chinga with the storekeeper, leave me out
of it.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 25th 04, 07:47 PM
Starla

Wow. There is obviously more I need to learn about Oriental symbols. I did
not realize there was so many different variations. "Far East"? "Middle
East"? "kanji"? I am looking for the single symbols that represent a
single word like are done in tattoo's, or decorate the walls of a person's
home.

My objective is to stitch a poem for my children, then stitch some of the
oriental symbols around the poem (about 6 or 8 symbols to create a sparse
kind of frame around the stitch project) which would be what I hope for my
children's future. For example: Peace, Love, happiness, Knowledge, Etc
(preferably one symbol for each word).

I could easily make a motif that would fit their lives now. I could do some
kind of car or Hot Wheels theme for my 6 year old (which is all that his
life revolves around at this time in his life), but that would not be
fitting for the walls of his college dorm or a place of his own. This is
about the only thing I can think of that will follow them from childhood to
adulthood.

I hope this clears up any confusion I (inadvertently) caused.

Old January 25th 04, 09:49 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I don`t what your culture is , But you could go either to your own
culture [ ask any elder in your family or community] , or look for
"international accept symbols " like a Dove for peace, etc,,, look
also on Postal pacakging symbols etc,,, you might fin d that those
will become more and more accepted with time as 'International " thus
they will not be outdated when your kids grow.
mirjam

Old January 26th 04, 05:08 PM
Elizabeth O'Rourke

Check this out http://zhongwen.com/
Liz
http://www.classicstitches.com
The magazine for stitchers worldwide

Old January 26th 04, 06:51 PM
MaryR

can anyone direct me to a site that might have oriental
symbols in
pattern
form?

Here's a nice book full of charted Chinese characters with
associated meaning in English:

http://www.adoptshoppe.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=368

MaryR