grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 16th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default fabric quality grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Mine, which I bought at Macy's, caught fire. Granted it was about 8
years old, but I was disturbed when the company said it was "normal"
wear and tear. I don't think it's ever normal for an appliance to
catch fire. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has it now. They
are testing it.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:44:10 GMT, "Jeri"
wrote:

I wonder if that's what's happening with Rowenta irons? There's such a
disparity in opinions about them. Some people can't sing their praises high
enough and others are so unhappy they'd never buy another again. And it
seems (at least to me) that it began around the time they started appearing
for sale in stores like JoAnn's and Target.

Old February 17th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wasn't cutting her down---just was surprised that she was hired without
knowing anything about what she will be doing---or that Joann's has NO PLANS
on doing any training for the position, but I have NO idea what she wrote on
her application either.... she was quite friendly I'll give her that.

Butterfly

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
We all started off at the beginning - not knowing a thing - sounds like
she has all the right stuff - the desire to learn.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Butterfly" wrote in message
Had an eye-opener at the Dr office yesterday. Met a young gal there that
was just hired at Joann's---in the fabric dept.
"Do you sew?"
"No, I don't even know how to turn on a sewing machine, but I would like
to learn. And I'd like to learn how to knit and do that other thing
(crochet)"
"Will they give you classes there?"
"Oh no, we're already suppose to know how. Do you know anyone that
teaches?" (Fortunately, I did)

And she is going to CUT my fabric????????????
AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure glad I go to our local Joann's for the notions only. The one
downstate is WORTH going to.......gals KNEW what I was requesting and
they had it : )

Butterfly

" Ellison" wrote in message
. net...
Howdy!
Some of my experience w/ the feedsack quilts and quilt tops:
many more unfinished and/or unquilted tops are still around
than are the Finished quilts, in my experience. Most haven't
been washed regularly, have received special care so
they've lasted this long.
Of those several dozen that have passed thru' my hands,
the feedsack fabrics are usually lower quality fabric (lower than
the "pieced goods" that my family members say they bought in
"regular" store; feedsack fabrics are thin, stretched to the limit of
endurance, fraying, holey, rough, and seriously wrinkled
if they've been washed, requiring special handling.
Not something I'd choose over the really good stuff that's intended
for making clothes, quilts, home decor & craft items.
Altho' I enjoy seeing these old tops, and love quilting them into
Finished quilts, I do spend many hours in repair or replacement
of the feedsack fabrics. YMMV

One of the fabric co. marketing reps explained that many
discount stores buy the cheaper grade of fabric so that they can
sell more for a lower price than the non-discount outlets do.
The discount places aren't buying more of the best quality and
getting a huge discount; they're sticking w/ the lower grade
and buying in huge lots. That's the way discount megastores work.
I wish Tuesday Morning would buy fabric (they buy discontinued
merchandise and sell it kinda' cheap ala outlet stores); I love
hunting for bargains there. ;-D

Speaking of chain stores, I had a good trip to JoAnn's yesterday,
looking for fabric for curtains for the church nursery (I volunteer
there
most Sundays to get my "baby fix"). Found some pretty stuff
for the curtains (long valances to cover the sun-shading film I'll
install)
and a bunch of Peanuts/Snoopy flannels-- Yee-Haw! Love Snoopy!
The clerks were helpful and friendly and talkative and in a good mood--
almost as good as visiting Janet of Garland at her store. ;-)

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

"Taria" wrote in message
Our sun is brighter than your sun I guess : )
I still hold to what I said. I do agree that felling the
hand of the fabric really helps a lot. Every time someone
brings up thread count I wonder about all the feedsack
quilts that are still around.
Taria

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

Nope that doesn't hold true either. I've been buying Wal-mart fabric
for years and don't find that it fades any more than the Hancocks of
Peducah fabric or the LQS fabric - unless I pour bleach on it!! LOL
When I want a particular print - I don't care where I get it - as
long as it has a good thread count and "hand" and fits the project I'm
working on. I've bought some really bad fabric from LQS and from
Wal-mart alike. It's harder to make good decisions when you buy on
line and can't feel the fabric.

Old February 17th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

SOunds to me like she lied to get the job. That isn't the
right stuff in my opinion.
Taria

Old February 17th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My daughter was hired at the JAF here when it first opened. She was
still in HS. Her only experience was amother who knew how to sew. She
got no training other than how to measure. She would call me sometimes
if a customer had a question.

Linda
PATCHogue,

Old February 17th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default TSWLTH fabric quality grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Thanks, Mary. Makes a bit more sense now. I feel for that gal, now I sure am
glad I told her where she could find help .

Butterfly ( I can just see her in tears cause she got an irate customer that
EXPECTS her to know the answers......)

"maryd" wrote in message
when I applied at JAF, I wasn't asked about my sewing/crafting experience.
They wanted to know about my clerking experience. When I went in for the
interview, the gal came right out and said she had decided who to hire but
since I applied she was 'forced' to interview me. The new hires were all
students and from what I could tell, knew nothing about
sewing/quilting/crafting.

--
Mary (Idaho to Oregon via Montana)

"Witchystitcher" wrote in message
news : My daughter was hired at the JAF here when it first opened. She was
: still in HS. Her only experience was amother who knew how to sew. She
: got no training other than how to measure. She would call me sometimes
: if a customer had a question.
:
: Linda
: PATCHogue,
:
:

Old February 17th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My favorite JAF story is the time a customer asked where the
terrycloth fabric was located. The teenage clerk replied that she
didn't know what terrycloth fabric meant. I asked her if she ever used
a bath towel. When will these major companies learn that you need
someone who knows about the products they are selling. The clerk in
the fabric department at Hobby Lobby told me she didn't know how to
sew at all. I guess it is better that they admit it than give you an
incorrect answer.

Susan

Old February 17th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default TSWLTH

I don't know how much their clerks get per hour ..but I think if JAF wants
people with
sewing expertise they should be willing to pay for that too--maybe they
do..I don't know.
I wouldn't want to work
anywhere, after years of sewing clothing and quilting, some knitting, etc.
and be expected
to be a virtual encyclopedia of info. on those subjects without getting my
due. But...on the other hand...I"ve noticed
that a lot of customers are trying to pick the brains of the cutting clerks
when there is a line
of customers and that is aggravating too ! I sometimes wish they'd do
their own homework
on figuring things out. I'm sue it must be hard to find people who would be
willing to work there
with a lot of sewing know-how ( maybe too busy sewing???? )..
At my local store JAF there are always new faces for their work force. You
just never see
a familiar face !!..They sure do come and go fast .

SNipped;

Old February 17th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

They get minimum wage, and at least while my daughter worked there,
there were no raises at all, no matter how long you'd been working.
Also they hire very few full time employees so they don't have to pay
benefits.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old February 27th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:16:14 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @
KarenTucker.com wrote:

Is it a rural route or something?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

No. Inside town limits. Not all Post Offices are equal. The smaller
POs don't have the manpower necessary to do the extra services. We
don't get any extra services here. You want stamps or supplies, go to
the post office. You want to mass mail a large number of standard
envelopes, go to the post office. You want to mail a package, go to
the post office. You receive a package that doesn't fit into your
mailbox, go to the post office to pick it up.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM