grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 16th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default fabric quality grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Julia in MN wrote:
Queen of Squishies wrote:
That's true not only with fabric. A Sunbeam toaster from WalMart is
not the same quality as a Sunbeam toaster from the hardware store or
department store. WalMart has special contracts all over the
country.

It's a lot of the big box stores, and not just Wal-Mart. Ever try to
compare, for example, Maytag washers at Best Buy or Menards or Home
Depot with those at the local appliance store? The model numbers are
never the same, and there are just enough differences in the features
available to make it difficult to compare apples-to-apples. There may
not be a difference in quality of the product, but comparisons are
still difficult.

I wonder if that's what's happening with Rowenta irons? There's such a
disparity in opinions about them. Some people can't sing their praises high
enough and others are so unhappy they'd never buy another again. And it
seems (at least to me) that it began around the time they started appearing
for sale in stores like JoAnn's and Target.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old February 16th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Excellent point! I can just hear several generations of quilters in my
family rolling over in their graves. Didn't have a high thread count or a
very nice hand but sure made beautiful and durable quilts that have lasted
thru many generations. I still say the best fabric in the world is the one
that you want - LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Taria" wrote in message
Our sun is brighter than your sun I guess : )
I still hold to what I said. I do agree that felling the
hand of the fabric really helps a lot. Every time someone
brings up thread count I wonder about all the feedsack
quilts that are still around.
Taria

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

Nope that doesn't hold true either. I've been buying Wal-mart fabric for
years and don't find that it fades any more than the Hancocks of Peducah
fabric or the LQS fabric - unless I pour bleach on it!! LOL When I want
a particular print - I don't care where I get it - as long as it has a
good thread count and "hand" and fits the project I'm working on. I've
bought some really bad fabric from LQS and from Wal-mart alike. It's
harder to make good decisions when you buy on line and can't feel the
fabric.

Old February 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

We had a few days of winter to remind us what it used to be like but has
been back in the 60s for the last couple of days. They are predicting rain
today and cooler temps this weekend.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Harry and Anita" wrote in message
Snigs,

Sorry to hear that you have been so sick. Hope you are on the mend
quickly and that the weight stays long gone. Who knows maybe some more
will get lonely for it and leave in search of companionship.

Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Anita in Alaska where the rain and snow are making a comeback
"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
Nah!! I got Rhino hide. You can't offend me ... LOL!! My toes are too
short and stubby to be stepped on and they are well shadowed by my big
belly - HEh Heh.

Speaking of belly - it's about 15 pounds smaller than it was. I have
been really sick - wound up in the hospital for 3 days with bacterial
pneumonia and came home too soon because I made the usual ass of myself
at the hospital. I hate the places and want out as soon as possible so I
throw a hizzy fit until they let me go. Since then I have puked my socks
up and haven't been able to keep anything down until they prescribed some
really nasty tasting stuff to stop it. I started feeling better on
Monday morning and then got the call from my neice about my sister
EmmaJeanne.

The good news is that I have lost 15 pounds. Now have to keep from
gaining it back.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Harry and Anita" wrote in message
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I wanted to add that I don't think an
extra dollar is outrageous or anything. I was merely curious as to the
reasoning. Hope I didn't step on any toes or offend anyone.

Anita

Old February 16th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Some of my experience w/ the feedsack quilts and quilt tops:
many more unfinished and/or unquilted tops are still around
than are the Finished quilts, in my experience. Most haven't
been washed regularly, have received special care so
they've lasted this long.
Of those several dozen that have passed thru' my hands,
the feedsack fabrics are usually lower quality fabric (lower than
the "pieced goods" that my family members say they bought in
"regular" store; feedsack fabrics are thin, stretched to the limit of
endurance, fraying, holey, rough, and seriously wrinkled
if they've been washed, requiring special handling.
Not something I'd choose over the really good stuff that's intended
for making clothes, quilts, home decor & craft items.
Altho' I enjoy seeing these old tops, and love quilting them into
Finished quilts, I do spend many hours in repair or replacement
of the feedsack fabrics. YMMV

One of the fabric co. marketing reps explained that many
discount stores buy the cheaper grade of fabric so that they can
sell more for a lower price than the non-discount outlets do.
The discount places aren't buying more of the best quality and
getting a huge discount; they're sticking w/ the lower grade
and buying in huge lots. That's the way discount megastores work.
I wish Tuesday Morning would buy fabric (they buy discontinued
merchandise and sell it kinda' cheap ala outlet stores); I love
hunting for bargains there. ;-D

Speaking of chain stores, I had a good trip to JoAnn's yesterday,
looking for fabric for curtains for the church nursery (I volunteer there
most Sundays to get my "baby fix"). Found some pretty stuff
for the curtains (long valances to cover the sun-shading film I'll install)
and a bunch of Peanuts/Snoopy flannels-- Yee-Haw! Love Snoopy!
The clerks were helpful and friendly and talkative and in a good mood--
almost as good as visiting Janet of Garland at her store. ;-)

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old February 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
" Ellison" wrote:

I wish Tuesday Morning would buy fabric (they buy discontinued
merchandise and sell it kinda' cheap ala outlet stores); I love
hunting for bargains there. ;-D

At our retreat last year the game lady had bought bunches of fat
quarters for prizes. She said some of them came from Tuesday Morning.
So, I guess they do show up there occasionally. Seemed like chain store
quality fabric to me.

marcella
Old February 16th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You gotta come out and go to M&L.
My big concern about fabric is that the amount of sun the
dye or the fabric itself can take is really important.
I made a DWR in 1980 that literally has worn to shreds.
It was scrappy and the the good fabrics and the bad
all did awful. Tinted windows are a big help now.

There is a big difference in fabric. Always will be.

I haven't been to Joann's in ages. I really have been
trying to cut back on the amount of fabric I have to
store. There comes a point where more might not be better.
Taria

Old February 16th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's okay hon - send all them unwanted feedsacks to me - I'll take every
one you don't want - in a heart beat.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
. net...

Old February 16th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Heck when I sent a ton (okay nine) pieces of fabric out to different
people (most in the east coast area) earlier this month I only spent
$5.16 on postage and $2 on the bubble envelopes.

And one squishy was almost a yard.

Stick to your guns. That's just crazy.

Jenn in CA

Old February 16th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Had an eye-opener at the Dr office yesterday. Met a young gal there that was
just hired at Joann's---in the fabric dept.
"Do you sew?"
"No, I don't even know how to turn on a sewing machine, but I would like to
learn. And I'd like to learn how to knit and do that other thing (crochet)"
"Will they give you classes there?"
"Oh no, we're already suppose to know how. Do you know anyone that teaches?"
(Fortunately, I did)

And she is going to CUT my fabric????????????
AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure glad I go to our local Joann's for the notions only. The one downstate
is WORTH going to.......gals KNEW what I was requesting and they had it : )

Butterfly

Old February 16th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just started patronizing a new online shop -- red rock threads. They
have free shipping, and they have an amazing stock of threads. Not
just the catalog listing; the actual thread.

I used to think Web Of Thread was good; but when you go to the actual
page the majority of the colors are always "out of stock".

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM