Sunday morning peace message (little OT)

Old August 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
Els van Dam

Default Sunday morning peace message (little OT)

Even though I am a bit early for our Sunday morning coffee
klatch......LOL. I have something special to share.

We have as a group, been in touch with the warlike violence and terrorists
happening in Isreal and Palestinia. We have been ancious for our friend's
safety, after another bombing was broadcast on TV or radio, with all the
horrors that come with these violent acts. It is so nice to share the
following story, A possitive one, a happy one. The media likes to dwell
on the negative. The following is possitive.

We were deleighted when a friend E-mailed us with a message to tell us
that he was involved with a documentary called "A team for Peace" . It
would be aired, Toronto time at 7 o'clock Saturday evening. (4o'clock
Vancouver Island time, also we could watch it because we have a dish to
receive are TV programming). A team for peace, is a showing of
Palestinian and Israeli children playing together in one soccer team.

It all started with Johann Olav Koss, an Olympic speed skater from
Norway. Year ago, he had told his grand mother that he dreamed of being
the best speed skater in Norway, that he wanted to become a doctor and
also work with children ( maybe not in that order....LOL, but close
enough) Somehow he did all three. At one point in his young life, he
ended up living in Toronto, where he must have met up with the son of a
very dear friend, who was part in making a film of Johann Olave Koss,
working with kids in Isreal. He brought togehter boys, from Israel and
Palestinia, and created one soccer team, to play in the world
championships. No it did not happen over one night ice, but it did
happen.

The boys coaches Vico Haddad and Khader Ahid, Palastinian and Israeli are
very good friends and play a very big part in this story. They worked
(and still wrok today), with the boys and their parents to overcome fears
and distrust. One of the coaches stated it like this:" Peace is hidden in
a locked box for both these countries". "Our childeren hold the key to
that box". Teaching the kids the learn to play as a team and trust one and
other is teaching these young boys to trust and work as a team later in
life as well". The children learned to play together as a team, they
traveled together to Norway to play in the world soccer games, to come
home with a bronse medal. Winning this medal is secondary, the learning
to be a team, where you have to forget about dislikes and hate and
mistrust paramount. That is where you have to depend on understanding one
and other, to trust you team mate is going to be in position to receive
the ball from across the field so he can score a point and make a goal.
It was heart warming to see these boys play together, laugh together and
even after some mistrust sleep together in one room. And why not, boys
all over the world get a chance to do this. It is going ot be a base for
these kids to work together in one place for each induvidual's interest in
peace. Where there is going to be space for learning, and working in
peace for everyone without the miss trust. Norway has set aside a very
generous sum of money to continue to support this team, but also foot the
bill for new teams to be formed in places where there is a lot of unrest
between the two groups. I for one am going to write my member of
pariament for Canada to do the same. So much better than giving wapons,
and monetary support to do more feighting. Hoera for the boys in the
"Peace team"

Have a peaceful Sunday all of you

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old August 22nd 04, 08:10 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Els that is a beautiful story - I would love to see this happen all over the
world - and in a sense it is happening at the Olympics albeit everyone is
competing rather than forming a united team - would it not be wonderful if
somehow the teams could break up and form some united teams with each others
countries - what a great spectacle of sport that would be.

I have always been a firm believer that peace lies with social contact - be
it sport , music or just visiting - I remember when DD#1 was in the
Queensland youth Orchestra at the International Festival of Youth Orchestras
in Lausanne Switzerland back in 1972 how it impressed her (14yrs of age)
that so many young people from different countries could be so friendly and
at the end form an International Orchestra of the best from each country to
perform on the closing night ( incidently Canada was represented at the
festival by a youth orchestra from Edmonton)

As the years have gone by I have seen how that first meeting of nations
really was a wonderful thing for DD in her acceptance of all peoples.

Have a nice Sunday morning Els - I am rather late as it is 5 pm Sunday now -
just had an afternoon coffee instead. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old August 22nd 04, 08:27 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Gwendoline
Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Yes Gwen, I have to totally agree with you. I am sure that the Olympics
as they are now, will change as well. It is to big, to commercial, and
maybe even to compeditive as well. It becomes way to costly to run themas
they are, but there is nothing so changeable as time, and who knows things
will become different. There seems to be more of an handle on the drug
use at the moment, that is a step in the right direction. focussing more
on playing sports together than on what nationallity the youngsters are
would also be very healthy. There is always a bit of danger in emphasis
on Nationality. Playing team sports together, making music together
nevermind where you come from, it the way to go.

Gwen, did you get my E-mail, if not could you e-mail me, I got a Piecework
magazine for you. It was the last one on our superstore, Thriftyfoods,
shelf. It sort of had your name on it....LOL

Need you snail mail address though

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old August 23rd 04, 07:26 PM
Aud

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding

[...]

Els, Koss was very much respected as a "sport hero" here,
therefore his engagement was very important!
AUD ;-))

Old August 23rd 04, 09:04 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Aud"

hate spam not welcome

Els, Koss was very much respected as a "sport hero" here,
therefore his engagement was very important!
AUD ;-))

Hi Aud:

Yes that was indeed the impression I got as well. It is so refreshing to
see possitive help, instead of the nasty divisions you get when taking
sides.

These kids were like young boys anywhere in the world should be,.....
happy and full of beans.....LOL,

Koss, saw it correctly, and with the tremendous help and insight form the
two local coaches has come a long way. Great when boarders fall away, and
"mine" and "yours" becomes "ours"........

How is school going....Aud, are back into the swing of things

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old August 24th 04, 09:43 AM
Aud

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding
In article , "Aud"

hate spam not welcome

Hi Aud:

Yes that was indeed the impression I got as well. It is so refreshing

see possitive help, instead of the nasty divisions you get when taking
sides.

These kids were like young boys anywhere in the world should be,.....
happy and full of beans.....LOL,

Koss, saw it correctly, and with the tremendous help and insight form

the
two local coaches has come a long way. Great when boarders fall away,

and
"mine" and "yours" becomes "ours"........

How is school going....Aud, are back into the swing of things

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

Els,
Today is my weekly day off, but my work days have been very busy!

Good to be back, but I'm longing for days off! LOL!

I have got some "new" children this year; who need special training.

They are so sweet, but very active,

and have no good "vibes" to schoolwork and home work.

They will be a challenge, but THERE I have "a strength" in age and
experience! SOMETIMES it is OK to be "a bit older"! LOL!

I feel that things at home is a mess, I am no good in keeping order
both places!!!

.. and DH? Well, it is Olympics.!

OT - Sunday School Jalynne Beads 39 August 18th 04 02:56 AM
Story - How NOT to leave a message ~Candace~ Beads 4 August 15th 04 07:19 AM