AD: Ebay and Justbeads auctions

Old November 22nd 04, 01:51 AM
Kandice Seeber

Hey, ME TOO!!! You can't teach me nothin'.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Well, now you know why her beads were $12... although she probably still
doesn't.

Some people are simply not interested in learning. In order to learn, you
first have to be able to recognize that you are not perfect and don't know
everything.

I mean, not like me, I'm TOTALLY perfect and have NOTHING to learn!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:55:42 -0500, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message ):

There used to be a lampworker here who always complained about her beads
not
selling, and selling below what she expected. It really drove customers
away. It felt like a criticism of potential customers, which alienates
people.

There was a good reason that the beads didn't command high prices. They
weren't very good beads. I bought some, and they were improperly
annealed, if they were annealed at all (they broke when I looked at
them), and the designs were nothing special. The person said she had
been lampworking for years, but the beads never showed change or
improvement. I never saw any experiments with color, shape or technique.
Even the basic stuff I look for (clean of bead release, smooth ends)
wasn't there.

Sadly, the person I'm thinking of wasn't one to listen to suggestions
that might improve her work, which definitely would have improved her
sales. It was always someone else's fault: the auction site, other
beadmakers, the customers, anyone and everyone except herself.

The design of a web page or the convenience of a web site can defintitely
affect sales, but for me it always comes down to the same thing: the
beads. If they're beautiful beads, I'll buy them. I buy lots from
beginning beadmakers that show promise, and encourage them to keep
experimenting. I offer suggestions that would help them increase their
prices, because I want them to stay in business.

This week, while wasting time on eBay, I came across an obscenely large
set of nice looking lampworked beads with no bids on it. There was no
information on the listing that said how the beads were made or if they
were annealed. It had only a few moments before the auction ended, so I
decided to gamble the $12 and bid. Later, when I paid the lampworker, I
suggested that she put a note in her auctions saying that her beads are
annealed, as that would attract the more savvy bead buyers.

I got a snarky note in response, essentially it said "Do you want me to
spend my time making beads or typing up auctions?"

Okay. That particular lampworker can now bite me - I won't buy from her
again. I was polite and held up my end of the deal, and I get snapped at
in return? No thank you. Happily, most of the people I write to are
glad for the feedback (especially something simple like adding a line to
a description), and I notice that their prices and bids increase nicely.

Kathy N-V

Old November 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Karen_AZ

Well, now you know why her beads were $12... although she probably still
doesn't.

LOL What's wrong with $12 beads? I sell small focals for that much all the
time! G

KarenK

Old November 22nd 04, 09:34 AM
E J Ralph

Polymer Cafe is a most superb polymer clay only magazine, published by
Joan and Mike Clipp

http://www.polymercafe.com

It is coming up for 2 years old now and I believe distribution is
getting better, with some of the big bookstores now taking it too. But
you can subscribe or buy single issues direct from the website I
think.

Emma

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:38:19 GMT, "Karleen/Vibrant Jewels"
wrote:

You're most welcome!

Who publishes Polymer Clay Cafe? Do they have a website? I never see it at
our local book stores. We did just buy Step by Step Jewelry featuring all
the clays, hubby says he's getting some great ideas from it.

Old November 22nd 04, 10:08 AM
Christina Peterson

Yes but that would go with "have". I have gotten my meat from the same
butcher for the last 5 years. Past participle, I think.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
That's actually an archaicism. Almost any time you find the "en" on the
end of a past-tense word it's a throwback to an earlier English dialect.
I don't remember everything I read, but I used to really be into English
etymology... it's a fascinating language.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Tinkster wrote:

One that really grates on me is "boughten", as in "John brought me a
gallon of milk, but I had already boughten one."

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm

Old November 22nd 04, 10:31 AM
E J Ralph

All excellent points which I agree with wholeheartedly, although I
would say that occasionally jumping outside the box and breaking some
rules can be fun in all walks of life ;-)

However I was not lamenting a downturn in *my* sales in that auction.
My beads are selling the same as ever in other venues. I was
(lightheartedly) lamenting the drop in sales generally in the polymer
clay section at Justbeads for all artists.

I think reading through my auction write up, one can see that
actually it was very tongue-in-cheek at any points that referred to
myself directly and that actually the general theme from start to
finish was of sadness about the fate polymer clay in general at
justbeads and not to my work individually. Jokes aside, I am very
happy with the way my work is progressing. Just not at justbeads! The
way things are now, when choosing selling venues Justbeads is missing
out listing fees from a lot of polymer clay artists now because it is
just not generating the sales that other venues do.

Justbeads did used to be *the* place for polymer clay artist beads -
but now many of us are finding our work is selling fine through our
own websites or ebay but that the sales at Justbeads have dropped
away.

Because many clay artists have stopped listing there altogether of
course, I think that then becomes a vicious circle anyway with less
new eyecandy for customers. It is also sad for Bob and Bettina who run
Justbeads as they must be getting a lot less revenue from the polyclay
section. But all things move in cycles and I am confident that
Justbeads will regain its status for the polymer clay market as and
when it is meant to happen. As so many have pointed out, it is the
best place to showcase polymer clay art as we have our own section,
without influxes of imported crud to deal with too!

It is true, of course, that the market itself dictates prices and a
product is only worth what people will pay. But that isn't the entire
story on the issue of pricing. Realistically we all know that *where*
you sell can have a direct impact on final prices and the work alone
isn't the sole determinator (is that a real word?). After all, I bet
several glass artists here know that their beads will fetch a higher
price if sold at one particular venue than they would when sold at
another. Doesn't mean the work is any less good when sold at either
place- they are the same beads afterall. It just means the target
audience may be more numourous at one particular place.

My lament was that for polymer clay, Justbeads used to *be that place*
and it is just sad that it isn't anymore. And teasing aside, it isn't
about sales or the money. No-one gets rich making polymer clay beads
anyway- they are just too time consuming to make well to allow anyone
to charge a decent living wage. I think polymer clay artists just
make beads because we would get constipated if we didn't. Sure I love
to sell my beads. I love to make *something* for my time, I love the
chance to build my skills, reputation. I love the fun of auctions,
"meeting" my customers and getting to know them. I love seeing what
they make from my work or hearing when they have a good day and their
jewellery sells well for them.

But I still want to do all that with a degree of humour and in my own
way I guess. And most of all, I would love to be doing it more at
Justbeads because I feel so very attached to the place and find it so
sad that so many of us polymer clayers are deserting it as a venue.

Emma

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:10:50 -0800, "Kandice Seeber"
wrote:

Sadly, I have seen this with several people in a number of places.
A positive attitude about your products is a really helpful thing to have,
but it has to go along with decent workmanship (workwomanship!). If you're
confident about your work, and you love what you're doing, I would humbly
suggest avoiding complaining about or even mentioning low sales if you can.
If ebay isn't doing so hot one week, suggest to your buyers that your beads
are going for really great, low prices and now is the time to get a good
deal. Never suggest that you are frustrated or discouraged with sales or
prices in public. Call a friend and commiserate if you feel the need, but
saying that stuff in public will only have a negative effect on your sales.
And the sales you do get might be sympathy sales, and that's not the kind
you really want. I'm not trying to be harsh - I'm only letting people know
that this is an important business tip. Even Donald Trump says that
maintaining a positive attitude is essential to business success.

This isn't to say that I was turned off by the original poster's justbeads
auction - I wasn't. Expressing one's feelings in art is important. Just
try to keep the description upbeat if possible.
I thought that heart was really cool-looking!

Old November 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
Kalera Stratton

But it is a verb! It's still bad, though.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Tinkster wrote:

Possibly, regarding the adjective "boughten" (as in "boughten cake" as
opposed to one baked at home). But using "boughten" as a verb is just
wrong. :-) (as in "That is just like the cake I boughten the other
day.) One should say "bought", and leave it at that.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:19 PM
Kalera Stratton

In modern English, most of the time yes. I'm talking about archaic
English, when the suffix "-en" indicated a past-tense verb. We usually
use "-ed" now for the same purpose, or modify an internal vowel, but
English is still full of archaicisms and inconsistencies, which is one
of the reasons I love it.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 22nd 04, 07:41 PM
Kalera Stratton

It's that it was a very large set, and she probably got under a dollar
per bead. I would be pleased to get $12 for ONE bead, depending on the
bead of course.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 22nd 04, 09:38 PM
Christina Peterson

I'd like to address two points. Selling from your own site. And making a
living selling PC (or any other) beads.

In some ways, I think auction sites are for the lazy; especially the lazy
customer. I like that I can go to eBay or JustBeads and see a selection of
beads at a variety of prices. But I also know that if I love someone's
beads and want first chance, I have to go to their website and pay full
price. Like for Kalera beads. I also know that many people making a living
at beads, sell almost exclusively off their sites plus galleries. How often
does Kim Miles sell beads on eBay? She gives customers a 5 hour window to
buy beads on her site once a week. And Karen Lewis sells her beads on her
site and also you can find her beads in stores (probably purchased at shows
by the store owners).

I think that for people making a good living making beads, auctions are a
hook to take you to their site to sell their best work at a fair and
predetermined price.

Just "thinking out loud".

Tina

Old November 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
Su/Cutworks

Tina wrote:

In some ways, I think auction sites are for the lazy; especially the lazy
customer. I like that I can go to eBay or JustBeads and see a selection

of
beads at a variety of prices.

I wouldn't call it lazy so much as using the auction sites as a department
store or gallery of artists.

But I also know that if I love someone's
beads and want first chance, I have to go to their website and pay full
price. Like for Kalera beads. I also know that many people making a

living
at beads, sell almost exclusively off their sites plus galleries. How

often
does Kim Miles sell beads on eBay? She gives customers a 5 hour window to
buy beads on her site once a week. And Karen Lewis sells her beads on her
site and also you can find her beads in stores (probably purchased at

shows
by the store owners).

Sites like eBay and JustBeads are cheap advertising. We started listing
beads there and have had people visit the website via the About Me page and
link there. The cost of listing on either auction site is minimal compared
to the exposure. We could never afford the advertising on an international
basis that we get via eBay. It's helped us be 'seen' by people that may
never have found us any other way. And in the UK, the shows are few and far
between.

I think that for people making a good living making beads, auctions are a
hook to take you to their site to sell their best work at a fair and
predetermined price.

They certainly help act as a come-along for people who might never search
online otherwise.

-Su

--
Tillerman eBay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/thetillermanbeads