Unlurking, part 2

Old December 16th 03, 05:13 PM
tennhick

Default Unlurking, part 2

Y'all were so helpful the last time I posted that I can't resist going to the
well again ;-)

Since last we typed, I've amassed quite a collection of books, pamphlets,
patterns, transfers, floss/thread and yarn/wool that are crying out to be used.
They'll have to wait awhile as I want to take the time to learn a few things
before tackling a real project.

Here's my question: what do products do you use/recommend as alternatives to
hoops? Specifically, I'm looking for something that would enable a mechanically
challenged klutz like me to work on borders of large-ish 'canvases'. IOW, it
has to be easily assembled.

Thanks much

Anne
Old December 16th 03, 05:46 PM
John Quinn

I like Q-Snaps, they come in a variety of sizes, so it should be
possible to get one just the size you need. I would suggest at least
three inch margin for your fabric. The stocking I am currently working
on (won't be done for Christmas :'( ) is a kit and the fabric margin is
tight making it harder to do the stitching at the edge of the design.
For my next project I'm going to try scroll bars because the one after
that is a big one that Q-Snaps aren't large enough without using them
like hoops and moving them around the fabric.
John

Old December 16th 03, 06:10 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

tennhick wrote:
something that would enable a mechanically
challenged klutz like me to work on borders of large-ish 'canvases'. IOW, it
has to be easily assembled.

Canvas as in actual "mesh" canvas (mono, penelope, et al) OR
Canvas as in "empty surface on which to stitch that is NOT canvas".

(big smile)

The first requires a frame. You'll get lots of advice on that score,
and John Quinn has already supplied his answer to the question.

If you mean normal "cloth" for "classic" embroidery (oooooh, I'm gonna
hear it on the use of THAT word, but I couldn't resist), then a tambour
hoop might be just the thing for you if you want something larger than a
normal mid-size hoop. 5 or 6 inches is the most I like to use "in hand"
- otherwise your hand can't take it for long.

A LOT of embroidery can be done without any object holding it. It just
depends upon what you are doing and what you get "comfortable" doing.
Some embroidery emphatically needs something holding it. So, we need to
know what you're doing to answer your question. :-)

Good luck!

Dianne

Old December 16th 03, 08:53 PM
tennhick

John Quinn said
I like Q-Snaps, they come in a variety of sizes, so it should be
possible to get one just the size you need. I would suggest at least
three inch margin for your fabric. The stocking I am currently working
on (won't be done for Christmas :'( ) is a kit and the fabric margin is
tight making it harder to do the stitching at the edge of the design.
For my next project I'm going to try scroll bars because the one after
that is a big one that Q-Snaps aren't large enough without using them
like hoops and moving them around the fabric.

Thanks, John. I've been ogling those thingies for awhile. I did try a scroll
bar set once but was appalled when after threading the cloth through the slot,
a residue of teeny wood shavings embellished the cloth.

Anne
Old December 16th 03, 08:56 PM
tennhick

Dianne Lewandowski said

I did enclose 'canvas' in quotes so "Canvas as in "empty surface on which to
stitch that is NOT canvas" is right on target ;-)

The first requires a frame.

LIGHT BULB GOES OFF -- I could staple fabric on the back of a large frame.

If you mean normal "cloth" for "classic" embroidery (oooooh, I'm gonna
hear it on the use of THAT word, but I couldn't resist), then a tambour
hoop might be just the thing for you if you want something larger than a
normal mid-size hoop. 5 or 6 inches is the most I like to use "in hand"
- otherwise your hand can't take it for long.

gulp I don't know what you mean by 'in hand.'

For large pieces I've been using a 14" quilter's hoop of cloth but that doesn't
help much if I want to have access in one fell swoop to what'll be the edges
on a large piece. FWIW, I balance it on the side of an arm chair.

Good luck!

Thanks ... I need more than luck -- so many ideas, so little talent

Anne
Old December 16th 03, 09:03 PM
Gillian Murray

Anne,
I also swear by Q-snaps. they are so light and simple to use. However, I
don't do needlepoint, only cross-stitch.

Gillian
"tennhick" wrote in message
ganews.com...
John Quinn said

Old December 17th 03, 01:43 AM
Olwynmary

tennhick wrote:
something that would enable a mechanically challenged klutz like me to work on

borders of large-ish 'canvases'. IOW, it has to be easily assembled.(snip)

The first requires a frame (snip)

A LOT of embroidery can be done without any object holding it.

I, too, was born and brought up "across the pond". When we little girls were
first taught embroidery, we were not allowed hoops, everything had to be done
"in hand". I think the theory was that we had to learn how to manipulate
needle and threads so that we got the right tension unaided. Nowadays I use
hoops - anything from 4" to 16", depending on the project, but to this day, if
I am doing a long row of something like backstitch, stemstitch or chainstitch I
flip the work out of the hoop and do it in my hand.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 17th 03, 03:03 AM
tennhick

Olwynmary said

I, too, was born and brought up "across the pond". When we little girls were
first taught embroidery, we were not allowed hoops, everything had to be done
"in hand". I think the theory was that we had to learn how to manipulate
needle and threads so that we got the right tension unaided.

ah, I think I now know what 'in hand' means -- thanks ;-)

Anne
Old December 17th 03, 03:33 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Actually, 14-inch quilter's hoops are way too large to handle embroidery
in my personal opinion. Your hand gets too tired. It's unwieldy.
Harder to pull up to your nose when your eyes get tired, or there's
details you need to see - especially with tiny stitches.

There is a myth about hoops crushing embroidery. They don't. And as
Olwynmary pointed out, a LOT of embroidery is easier and more precise if
done in hand. Stitches such as chain and stem (for instance) are easier
to handle without hoops or frames, because you can't do them when fabric
is drum type. You use the "sewing" method for these stitches.

Sewing method means you go in/out with the needle in one motion, as
opposed to using two hands, one underneath (which is the stab method).

Except for some exceptional fabrics (which I've used), you can't do this
(normally) in a drum-tight situation.

Bottom line: use a smaller hoop and move it to where you need it. Or,
when you *really* need to hold the fabric taut, get a tambour hoop. And
for both these, bind them. Yes, large pieces like table cloths means
you will have lots of fabric hanging around you. You learn to work with
it. For those reading this aghast with my statements: I'm working on a
large pulled work piece and it's been entirely worked in a 6-inch hoop.
My tambour hoop is "busy" with something else.

You might find some additional help he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/herita.../getstart.html

And finally, keep posting, keep asking, keep doing, keep making
decisions based on your own comfort level. It all comes in time.
Forget the mistakes. Learn and move on. :-)

Dianne

Olwynmary said

Old December 17th 03, 05:50 PM
Barbara Hass

John Quinn wrote:
I like Q-Snaps, they come in a variety of sizes, so it should be
possible to get one just the size you need. I would suggest at least

Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Q-snap pieces can be combined
to make larger frames. Obviously the "snap" parts would still be
separate so you might have 2+ to a side, but you can still combine sets
to get a larger frame.

Barbara