New space for quilting

Old September 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elizabeth in Clayton,NC

Default New space for quilting

Howdy folks!

It has been awhile since I posted to the group... years even? I sure
have missed you, but just had too much on my plate to participate.

To be honest, a lot has happened since my last lurk... and
unfortunately, quilting was not part of the happenings.

The short of it is:
1. My mom was diagnosed with MS and had to retire on disability in
Louisiana.
2. I got laid off--- but found my dream job at the end of that...
3. Katrina
4. Sold Mom's house - bought her a condo in NC and moved her up here
to be closer to me a year ago
5. My 21 year old quilt inspector (the purry kind) had a major stroke
and we had to say goodbye
6. Mom went downhill.
7. Mom moved into an assisted living community, at age 63.
8. Sold the condo, moved all of mom's stuff to my garage.

So, since I am moving family heirlooms and furnishings into my house,
my hubby decided I needed to get a quilting room of my own. I had been
regulated to the corner of the bonus room on a beat up old dining room
table. We donated the table to a thrift store for pet adoptions... and
hubby bought me an Elna for our wedding anniversary....

Great bookcase my mom used to store her fabric is now in the 2nd
Bedroom (now called Elizabeth's Quilting Room), and I am in the
process of picking out a cabinet for the machine. To go from having a
clunky Singer on a tiny RV dining table to a new Elna on a selected by
me cabinet is really exciting.

So, my question for you is... do you have any suggestions on brands or
places to buy? I have 3 criteria and looked at one yesterday that met
them... Before I commit, I thought I would ask you all.

I am looking for
1. A drop leaf on the back to hold the quilt after it passes the
machine.
2. A lift system
3. Cabinet designed so i am centered in front of needle when seated...
not the center of the machine.

It is great to see familiar names here... even if you don't remember
me!

i look forward to more postings.

Elizabeth in Clayton, NC

Old September 7th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I bought a Sylvia designs table last fall and I really love it. The
model I got is the 1600 which I liked because the sewing machine area is
wider than most so you can sit centered on the needle. Also it has more
foot room - some are pretty squishy. The back has the drop leaf so you
have a fairly large sewing table when it is fully open. The lift works
great and you can order inserts for different machines.

marcella

In article . com,

Old September 7th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Antalek

Oh Elizabeth, I have few comments or advice on the sewing cabinet you
are looking for, but my heart is aching for you to go through this with
your Mom. She must have progressive type MS for all that to happen.
Our son has the same type, but is only 40, and although in a
wheelchair, is not in need of assisted living, or even close to it.
It is a very tough road to travel, isn't it?

Good luck on your new room, and welcome back here. Karen in NWPA

Old September 7th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Sorry I can't help you with cabinet suggestions; but welcome back
Elizabeth. Sorry for all the tough 'life interruptions' you have had.
..
In message . com,
"Elizabeth in Clayton,NC" writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 7th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Welcome back! Hugs to your Mom, congrats on your sewing room, and machine,
no advice here on a table, sorry. Just a big welcome back. : )

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 7th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Just an observation from me, Elizabeth. I noticed on my recent trip to an
SM dealer that the tables they were using all seemed to bow down in the
middle from the weight of the SM. If your new treasure of an SM is a heavy
one, you will want to be sure that the cabinet is hefty enough to support
the weight. Polly

Old September 7th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Sep 7, 8:38 am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Elizabeth in Clayton, NC- Hide quoted text -

Hi Elizabeth! i'm new here, too, so i hope we can be of help to each
other!
oh, what a tough road God makes for some of us. i have aging parents
and understand the dilemma of putting them in a home. your situation
is much more difficult i'm sure. and so sorry to hear about your Q I ,
{{{hugs}}} all around to you!
i saw a Horn table at a quilt show recently, it was awesome, but you
may want to test the weight of the machine as suggested by Polly. i
have an old White 999 myself, (bought in 1980 and h e a v y!)
wouldn't part with it, but a new machine would be very appreciated.
sounds like you have a great DH! =)
why is it we allow ourselves to wait for anything we deserve to have?
i know it took me 10 years to make a place for my sewing/quilting. of
course.....i had to kick the hubby to the curb....but that was a minor
consession, believe me!! LOL
amy

Old September 7th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
"Elizabeth in Clayton,NC" wrote:

Howdy folks!

It has been awhile since I posted to the group... years even? I sure
have missed you, but just had too much on my plate to participate.

I can't help with your cabinet selection, Elizabeth, but I thought I'd
say hi and welcome back!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 8th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:26:58 -0500, Elizabeth in Clayton,NC wrote
[...]

Don't have any suggestions for the cabinet (I'm a lucky dog and had my giant
quilting table custom made and I've got the entire basement apartment for my
studio), but I am happy dancing for your new quilting room.

Maureen

Book: Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space Allison Orange Needlework 1 August 1st 06 03:03 PM
I'm Back from Space!!! She in PA Quilting 13 March 7th 06 12:31 AM
The space quilt Debra Quilting 1 February 5th 05 10:28 PM
downsizing my space reltuc Machine Knit 0 November 20th 03 04:16 PM