Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

Old November 20th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

Default Attention Steve Mills (and other singel fire players) Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

"DKat" ) writes:
"Elaine Stutt" wrote in message
Elaine Stutt ) writes:
"DKat" ) writes:
So heres the deal - most of the glazes I tested worked just fine except
for
the lips where at least half of them simply flaked off. I hate to put
these
pots through any more stress so I'm going to try painting on the lips a
very
thin coat. Do I do this by thinning down the glaze or what? Do I add
corn
syrup to the glaze and if so in what ratio? Thanks, Donna

snip
Finally found the notes. For crawling on the lip, it suggests a thinner
glaze application. For flaking it doesn't mention lips but for minor
flaking: if the flaking happens when touched, add 3 percent binder;
if it flakes before it's touched add more. Binder I guess means gum,
possibly sugar.

That's from Dennis Parks book on raw glazing.

snip-
Thank you for hunting that information down for me! I just got Dennis
Parks' book and have been reading it. It is useful of course but it has
conflicting information and doesn't seem to cover the issues that I'm
having.

I've found it useful but confusing as there are adjustsment that can
be made to the glaze or to the clay body. As I buy premixed clay,
I'm not going to change the clay body but I have found myself reading
in the wrong section when trying to figure things out. I like both
books as they have pictures of large pieces being raw glazed. One
of my problems is my studio is pretty small and I don't have a lot
of space to put pans and bowls and trays to trap glaze as its poured
over pieces. Strict discipline and focus might help ;-)

I have decided that I probably glazed too late in the leather hard
state because the glaze is very solid except for the lips.

Yeah, it mentions that the lips and handles may need to have some water
sponged on as they may dry first. Even if the glazes stays on to go
into the firing, the lip is where some glazes for bisque won't work.

I have been
trying any number of things to recover those pots, which has been a learning
experience in itself. I really do like the feel of doing things this way.
I think it is going to take awhile to develop the glazes I want and to learn
the skills but it is definitely the way I want to go.

Where I feel that raw glazing/single firing has been most succesful for
me is in leather hard pieces with carved and painted on decoration.
When I've finished decorating the piece, the glazing is also finished.
I might pour the glaze inside but paint it in layers outside.

Thanks again. I'm really hoping to get this kiln fired soon so I can see if
there are any successes.

Donna

Not all glazes work as well on raw pieces but some pieces should work,
I'd think. Good luck

Elaine

number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 10:59 PM
Problems reconciling controller temp to cone: way over fired! tony Pottery 3 June 8th 04 10:09 PM
Floating Blue and pinging CNB Pottery 5 May 10th 04 04:01 PM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM