A pugged clay problem

Old March 21st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default A pugged clay problem

the only way i stopped mine from eating clay (German shepard) was waiting
till he grew up... Stopped all on his own by the time he was a year old...
Hugs
Eddie

Eddie,
Do you think this is this a regular thing with dogs then? Trouble is,
she'll be with me in the studio in Cornwall (as my company), but I can't
have her eating my profits - lol. The little 'darling' is chewing her way
through all my plastic bags to get to the clay inside. I think I'll have to
lock it away in a cupboard - the clay I mean. =)
JM

Old March 21st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Dogs are territorial, pee on your clay and mark it as yours. But
seriously, keep an eye on your pup. Dogs noses are highly sensitive,
soak some red pepper in a small spray bottle over night and spray around
the areas of interest to discourage the dog. If you don't have a spray
bottle, soak in a bowl and sponge onto the areas. I like to train my
pups with a leash. Even indoors. When they get into your clay or even
look like they're thinking about it, a short firm jerk on the leash
accompanied by a sharp "NO", a word all dogs should learn, will do the
trick. Don't pull so hard that you send the dog flying across the room,
the jerk is an attention getter, nothing more. Training a pup is very
important in keeping both puppy and master happy. Don't go for those
choke collars or smacking the dog, repitition is what works. Dogs
thrive on pleasing their owner so when you give the no command and get a
positive response, tell the dog "Good Boy or Girl" and give it a
vigorous playful petting. Don't reward the dog with treats as they will
then always want treats. A good petting is rewarding the dog with love
which is better for both physical and mental health, a lot cheaper and a
lot more gratifying for you. I've been breeding AKC Cocker Spaniels for
over 15 years and find starting on the training when they're very young
will give you one great dog in return.

Hope that helps. ~Kees

Old March 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

There is a certain point where clay gets where it just isn't going to absorb
water easily. When it gets this dry I let it dry all the way, break it up
(put it in a heavy burlap bag and use a sledge hammer), and drop the pieces
(no bigger than a fist is the size I limit it to) int a plastic burlap or
canvas bag and put this bag into a 5 gallon bucket with hot water that has
had some vinegar added to it (.5-1 Cup?). Let this soak until all the clay
is wet through and hang the bag so it releases the excess water and dries to
the point of workability. I would be lost without a plaster board to wedge
clay into a workable consistency.

If I were to mix wet clay with drier clay (which I avoid because it is such
hard work), I would only do it in small batches and I would ram wedge, cut
and slam, wedge some more and keep on cutting and mixing until I could not
detect separate bodies. I would put this in a really wet bag and let it set
for a week.

Just my 2 cents on how I like to work.

Donna
"Kees Kroozr" wrote in message
Wow, this is both enlightnening and encouraging. I have some real old
clay sitting wrapped up and aging in storage and I was hesitant to even
try using it. My shop is not heated and its real brutal to try to work
clay in the cold, so I've got some 500 pounds just waiting for warmer
days. Right now Spring is breaking here in Tennessee and although I was
planning on buying fresh clay, I don't have pug mill money, I'm going
give this old stuff a try. Everytime I visit here I learn something
new, lol, about the second oldest profession.

Old March 22nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Thanks for those tips - I'll abstain from the peeing bit for the time-being
though.

JM

Old March 23rd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article , Eddie
Daughton writes
Stephen Mills wrote:
This clay sounds monumentally tired!

now, of course, if you lived in Somerset Uncle Steve, you'd use a good
scrumpy (cider for the international folks)cos it's likely cheaper than
the stuff that folks buy if they don't (live in Zummerzet, that is...)
Hugs
Eddie

Arrr!

Now lookee here Young-un I can get a gallon of Thatchers Good Screech
(ANOTHER name for Cider) for 'bout a fiver, that'll do noicely!
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old March 23rd 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Stephen Mills wrote:
In article , Eddie
Daughton writes
Stephen Mills wrote:
This clay sounds monumentally tired!

now, of course, if you lived in Somerset Uncle Steve, you'd use a good
scrumpy (cider for the international folks)cos it's likely cheaper than
the stuff that folks buy if they don't (live in Zummerzet, that is...)
Hugs
Eddie

Arrr!

Now lookee here Young-un I can get a gallon of Thatchers Good Screech
(ANOTHER name for Cider) for 'bout a fiver, that'll do noicely!

ARRRHHH, but i can get Heck's Glastonbury port wine (finest cider in the
land, single variety apples, looks like red diesel and tastes like apple
juice, just steals yer legs) (as long as it's Feb/march) fer 4.50 a
gallon (all right plus container, but you can buy it in 2 liter pop
bottles and they is free, recycling as well as getting ****ed....)
Wouldn't use Thatchers to strip paint (tho' that is a good alterative
use for it....)
Hugs
Eddie
Old March 23rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article , Eddie
Daughton writes
ARRRHHH, but i can get Heck's Glastonbury port wine (finest cider in the
land, single variety apples, looks like red diesel and tastes like apple
juice, just steals yer legs) (as long as it's Feb/march) fer 4.50 a
gallon (all right plus container, but you can buy it in 2 liter pop
bottles and they is free, recycling as well as getting ****ed....)
Wouldn't use Thatchers to strip paint (tho' that is a good alterative
use for it....)

Which is why I let it go to Vinegar for use with me clay!!

Hugs

Steve
:-)
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old March 23rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Stephen Mills wrote:
In article , Eddie
Daughton writes
ARRRHHH, but i can get Heck's Glastonbury port wine (finest cider in the
land, single variety apples, looks like red diesel and tastes like apple
juice, just steals yer legs) (as long as it's Feb/march) fer 4.50 a
gallon (all right plus container, but you can buy it in 2 liter pop
bottles and they is free, recycling as well as getting ****ed....)
Wouldn't use Thatchers to strip paint (tho' that is a good alterative
use for it....)

Which is why I let it go to Vinegar for use with me clay!!

Hugs

Steve
:-)

Yes, but doesn't your clay deserve better?

Old March 23rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Bruce Glassford wrote:
Stephen Mills wrote:
In article , Eddie
Daughton writes
ARRRHHH, but i can get Heck's Glastonbury port wine (finest cider in
the land, single variety apples, looks like red diesel and tastes
like apple juice, just steals yer legs) (as long as it's Feb/march)
fer 4.50 a gallon (all right plus container, but you can buy it in 2
liter pop bottles and they is free, recycling as well as getting
****ed....) Wouldn't use Thatchers to strip paint (tho' that is a
good alterative use for it....)

Which is why I let it go to Vinegar for use with me clay!!

Hugs

Steve
:-)

Yes, but doesn't your clay deserve better?

Trouble is with the Glastonbury Port Wine that it don't get chance to
turn to vinegar, bloody stuff evaporates (anyway the bottle keeps
getting empty...., Mind you Thatchers i can understand that going to
vinegar, tho i thought it already had when you buy it.....
Old March 24th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article , Bruce Glassford
writes
Stephen Mills wrote:
Which is why I let it go to Vinegar for use with me clay!!

Hugs

Steve
:-)

Yes, but doesn't your clay deserve better?

It does the job, 'tis all I ask of it :-)

--
Steve Mills
Bath

What Clay to Use Atikokan Arts Pottery 6 November 28th 05 02:32 PM
This thing called clay! Polly S. Polymer Clay 12 February 22nd 05 09:03 PM
Polymer clay cane covered eggs Wanda Polymer Clay 17 May 27th 04 02:26 AM
Philadelphia Polymer Clay Guild Retreat June 5 and 6 marthaaleo Polymer Clay 0 April 19th 04 09:51 PM
AD: intro to polymer clay workshop and class - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Polymer Clay 0 February 26th 04 09:51 PM