Röhmertopf?

Old November 16th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Röhmertopf?

"dkat" wrote in message
They are not supposed to be glazed. They are supposed to be soaked in
water before putting food in them and then put in the oven. It is part of
the cooking method. The food is steamed and then dry roasted which is a
bit odd. I found that I wasn't fond of mine. I have heard good things
about the tagines mentioned.

Donna

Yeah I prefer the tagines. ) They look really cool too and are fun to
throw.

Old November 16th 05, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Xtra News" wrote in message

"dkat" wrote in message
They are not supposed to be glazed. They are supposed to be soaked in
water before putting food in them and then put in the oven. It is part
of the cooking method. The food is steamed and then dry roasted which is
a bit odd. I found that I wasn't fond of mine. I have heard good things
about the tagines mentioned.

Donna

Yeah I prefer the tagines. ) They look really cool too and are fun to
throw.

Do you use yours in the oven or on the stove top? What clay body do you
use? I assume they are glazed inside and out...

Old November 16th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"dkat" wrote in message

"Xtra News" wrote in message

"dkat" wrote in message
They are not supposed to be glazed. They are supposed to be soaked in
water before putting food in them and then put in the oven. It is part
of the cooking method. The food is steamed and then dry roasted which
is a bit odd. I found that I wasn't fond of mine. I have heard good
things about the tagines mentioned.

Donna

Yeah I prefer the tagines. ) They look really cool too and are fun to
throw.

Do you use yours in the oven or on the stove top? What clay body do you
use? I assume they are glazed inside and out...

In the oven, terracotta, glazed inside, with some glazed decoration out so
that the natural terracotta clay shows. I have seen some made in quite
grogged terracotta, I guess that would cope with heat changes easier, but
mine survived the oven )

Old November 16th 05, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

http://www.tagines.com/cat_tagine_recipes.cfm

You may have started something. I am now very much intrigued. The recipes
on the above are for stove top. I wonder if they would work just as well in
the oven. Has anyone used the fireclay that works on the stove top and has
it been successful?

Donna

"Xtra News" wrote in message

Old November 16th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"dkat" wrote in message
http://www.tagines.com/cat_tagine_recipes.cfm

You may have started something. I am now very much intrigued. The
recipes on the above are for stove top. I wonder if they would work just
as well in the oven. Has anyone used the fireclay that works on the stove
top and has it been successful?

Donna

I haven't used them on the stove top as I just used terracotta, they work
well in the oven. I gave one to friends and they invited us for dinner, it
was very yum. )

Old November 17th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article ,
dkat wrote:
http://www.tagines.com/cat_tagine_recipes.cfm

You may have started something. I am now very much intrigued. The recipes
on the above are for stove top. I wonder if they would work just as well in
the oven. Has anyone used the fireclay that works on the stove top and has
it been successful?

Donna

I've made a tagine, several soup pots, tea kettles and a wok from
flameware claybody and they've all been` successful. The glaze choices
are limited and the clay is a little strange to work with--I found it
to be uncomfortable on my hands, but it was an interesting project. I
guess the flameware clay is controversial because some people have had
accidents with it exploding on the stove, or developing cracks, but
I've had neither of those things happen to my pots. They're kind of
heavy though, so I don't tend to use them as much as I hoped.

Deb R.

Old November 17th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

After looking into it I decided I would rather go with the oven version
(exploding clay shards sound deadly). I'm glad to hear that there are other
reasons not to use it.

Old November 19th 05, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

As a former chef ( now pottery nut and teacher) I found this whole
subject very interesting and thought I might add my 'two peneth' of
knowledge: The idea behind all of these 'oven used' cooking vessels is
that the whole process of cooking is slow, and the effect on the food
might be compared to that of 'heat work' on pots in a kiln. The heat of
the oven will kill most germs (but I can understand peoples'
dislike/distrust of the patina or 'seasoning' that appears on the
cooking vessel); normal cleanliness aplies to these pots as it does
with cast iron, stove top, cooking pans and woks that have 'seasoning',
if in doubt slowly heat the pots (empty and dry) in the oven when using
the oven to do a high temp roast! Low temperature glazes will not make
the vessels more hygenic to use as eventualy all such glazes will have
some (albeit microscopic) crazing which can harbour debree/dirt, more
so than if left unglazed.
This method of cooking does add something to the flavour and texture of
the food; it used to be a great way to cook mutton (a tough but
flavoursome meat) but it's rare to find mutton anymore as most
suppliers sell only year old lamb.
Sincere apologies to any vegetarian readers!

Old November 19th 05, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Interesting that you say unglazed is better than glazed, since crazing
actually seems to retain bacteria better than unglazed pottery.

Also, I am wondering if the slow-cooking can just as well be done in a
normal open "pot" with aluminium foil over it at a lower heat? The benefits
of cooking over time are great, that I know. But need we insulate the food
with a röhmertopf in order to get the same effect as simply lowering the
temperature and waiting an hour extra?

My topf is still leatherhard and it can go either way - keep wet, finish and
fire - or wet thoroughly and recycle. I would appreciate your input on the
usefulness of this pot - as compared to the power usage, heavy cleaning job
and storage space required.

Thanks!

Marianne

Old November 20th 05, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Bubbles" wrote in message
Interesting that you say unglazed is better than glazed, since crazing
actually seems to retain bacteria better than unglazed pottery.

Also, I am wondering if the slow-cooking can just as well be done in a
normal open "pot" with aluminium foil over it at a lower heat? The
benefits of cooking over time are great, that I know. But need we insulate
the food with a röhmertopf in order to get the same effect as simply
lowering the temperature and waiting an hour extra?

My topf is still leatherhard and it can go either way - keep wet, finish
and fire - or wet thoroughly and recycle. I would appreciate your input on
the usefulness of this pot - as compared to the power usage, heavy
cleaning job and storage space required.

Thanks!

Marianne

Apparently the shape of the Rohmertopf makes the steam circulate differently
which creates more tender moist food.