about the tablecloth

Old March 5th 05, 09:00 PM
Stella Fenley

Default about the tablecloth

Hi everyone ,
I had forgot to mention that the table cloth is crocheted in the white 100
% mercerized cotton ,the kind of crochet thread is the Knit -Cro-Sheen
Would it be safe to wash it on the delicate cycle in washer,and dry it in
the dryer.

Stella

Old March 5th 05, 09:20 PM
Carey N.

"Stella Fenley" wrote in message
m...
Hi everyone ,
I had forgot to mention that the table cloth is crocheted in the white

100
% mercerized cotton ,the kind of crochet thread is the Knit -Cro-Sheen
Would it be safe to wash it on the delicate cycle in washer,and dry it in
the dryer.

Stella

That might depend on age and condition, as well as the type of stitch used.
If it is old with many medallions with multiple long chains, I'd say by
hand. If it is a more solid table cloth, delicate might be okay, or in a
bag used for stockings and delicates.

I have(somewhere) a table cloth my mother made when she was younger that had
been on the dining room table for years. It started rotting out due to
exposure to sunlight through the window, and when I tried to repair parts of
the chains, they just started falling apart further back. I have it packed
somewhere, but of course I don't have the pattern to make new medallions or
anything else. Haven't thought of it for y-e-a-r-s. Of course, it was over
40 years old when she had asked me to try to help it.

HTH,
Carey in MA.

Old March 6th 05, 02:09 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 20:00:45 GMT, "Stella Fenley"
wrote:

Hi everyone ,
I had forgot to mention that the table cloth is crocheted in the white 100
% mercerized cotton ,the kind of crochet thread is the Knit -Cro-Sheen
Would it be safe to wash it on the delicate cycle in washer,and dry it in
the dryer.

I'm pretty sure you could wash it in the washer on delicate cycle and
warm water. However, I don't think you can dry it in the dryer.
Crocheted cotton thread pieces usually need to be stretched out on a
board or thick cloth to their correct dimensions while still wet, then
pinned to the board and allowed to dry like that. My mother used to
have a contraption on a stand with little nails all around the edge
that you could adapt to any rectangular shape and attach a crocheted
piece to allow it to dry. She used it to dry curtains and
tableclothes.

I hesitate to make anything for my daughters that will require this
kind of care, because I know they don't have the time for it. It's a
pity that no one has the time any more, because these things were made
to be used.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old March 7th 05, 01:45 PM
Michael O'Brien

Hi group,

I have made several tablecloths for my wife from South Maid cotton. I tend
to make them large enough for them to fit the table when they come out of
the dryer. When they stretch out over time my wife judges when they are
getting too big and throws them in the washer - cold water - and the dryer.
The only time hot water is used is if they have been stained. We also use a
plastic cover purchased at Wal-mart or Zeller's

--
Mike O'Brien
e-mail -

Any day is a good day if you can sit up and take nourishment - anything
beyond that is a bonus.

Historians of Needlework: Help! MaryPulver Needlework 84 November 30th 04 04:54 PM
Table Linens Suzanne Needlework 15 September 12th 04 10:37 PM
Moving Sale plus New Fabrics from Woodrow Studio, Timeless Treasures, more at The Virginia Quilter! The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 August 18th 04 11:22 PM
Kids Crafts Necklaces? Otsinekwar Beads 30 February 11th 04 06:07 AM
Needlework Tablecloth Russell Miller Needlework 7 August 8th 03 10:29 AM