Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Old March 24th 04, 07:28 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dianne
Another Idea for you To think about would be maybe find the greek
letters that are Dianne after all this is a greek name !!! Lula has
told you so graciuosly , how her parents taugght her to `write` with a
paintbrush , by this they notonly gave her a valuable contact with her
ancestoral tradition , but they showed her that Writing can be done in
different ways , that the human brain is wonderful creative, ans many
more things ,,,, may be if you see you name in another font , it will
bring you other viewing of yourself ,,, read about Dianne the godess ,
listen to songs about Dianne ... Examine ev ery letter of yiur name??
Are you part with your letters ??? i found for me that i can combine
the Latin M and the Hebrew Mem into one form ,, that is me ... I have
embroidered woven and partly crocheted my face ...My inner `voices`
lead my hands to work , my loving materials , techniques colors all
are part of what and how i do it .
Best of Luck Dianne ,,, look to the moon with the Huntress,,,
Godess....
mirjam
.... On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:33:03 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Dianne , i think we were `dancing` around this subjevt every several
months on this group ,.... I believe every person has a story to tell
and his / her own way to do it ..... maybe one should let go of some
of 'You Must do it THIS way and not That way attidtude ???"
Maybe really listening to those who come with another culture = thus
other point of view , might open up your ability to BE YOU Dianne ,,,,
This onece in ages person ,,,, take all those wonderful techniques you
know so well .... take a piece of cloth ..... and Embroider DIANNE not
the portret but the concept .... Just Embroider you name ,,,,birth
date , other important dates in you life ,, you kid`s names etc,,, see
where this leads you ,, choose a specail color for each person and
each date ,,,, See where this leads you .... mirjam
:

I think more than a few of us need a "directed" push. We can't look at
a plain canvas and do it. And even if we *can* put *something* on that
plain canvas, it ends up being trite. That may not be the right word.
More akin to: been there, done that, nothing original.

How I wish there was some way I could get into a fiber class that
demanded of us in such a way that - sweat pouring down brow - it could
eek out my inner self.

Watching this conversation: Yesterday I looked at a piece I'm doing,
and I noticed the petals in the flower. I definitely have my "own way"
of drawing, but I don't know how to break out and make it really say
something. Everytime I look at it, I think: Oh, but artists do it so
much better. I *know* that's not exactly true in the deepest sense, but
that's a tape recorder that's hard to overcome.

Dianne

lula wrote:

Hi Anne,

As I figured, you're a very creative stitcher......just needing a few
pointers in the right direction now and then! We all benefit from these
creative "pushes" from others periodically.

It's wonderful that you're going to continue to do more fun
characters......those names you title them with add that extra bit of
fun to the imagination! Like having a cherry added on top!

Have you thought of making these embroideries into three dimensional
figures such as cloth "dolls"?

I literally dance around with joy whenever I come up with a workable new
over the top character........it's a major accomplishment being able to
capture the just right expressions of these "funny" faces on gridded
canvas.

Today, I decided to stitch a model of Madame La Zora & Co, the over the
top fortune teller with her cat companions......she's the gleeful lady
on the front page of web site......

The only negative is my canvas to stitch is not the beautifully painted
model I did earlier but only a blank canvas that I outlined verey
lightly with a micron pen.......so pretty much, I'm stitching and
designing as I go......

I've already frogged a few inches of stitching in the short time I was
stitching. One can't be faint hearted to "frog" if one wants to capture
the just right expression of the faces, especially the eyes! These
details makes or breaks my whole design as my work depends heavily on
expressive lines.

The fun part was filling a large basket full of pretty colors and
textures of whatever threads I might need to create my "masterpiece"
model!
This needlepoint of Madame La Zora & Co is my "work" stitching......my
FUN stitching is to be an embroidery, a really fun piece titled More
Bitch than Stitch.....there's a computer screen with little puffs of
smoke and tiny flames shooting out......have already done a fun sketch
of the project so far.
I'd like to intergrate humorous text using decorative fonts into the
design along with all sorts of fun embellishments and so on.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

anne wrote:

lula said

Hmmmm, where did I get this feeling you weren't exactly going for the
ladylike, elegant look for your fan design?

I may surprise us both and buy some fancy threads for that fan one of these
days. There's a gorgeous design, complete with how to's in a book that I'm too
lazy to go upstairs to get the name of. Before attempting that project, I need
to practise laying down an evenly spaced trellis.

hahaha, thanks to you, I decided to let my imagination go
and have some real fun creating my next embroidery.

ooooooh, I can't wait to see what an real artiste comes up with

One doesn't need to use shading to add depth to a design........you can
use pattern to add depth, for example doing a check border in an area,
in another, do some stripes, then add some dots, these patterns can be
in bright colors or subdued by using more pastel and close colors .
Many artists will use pattern instead of just shading their artwork to
add depth to their work.

I'm slowly coming to realize that I don't need to recreate the original exactly
or duplicate the intricate color schemes of cross stitch charts to create
something that pleases me. FYI, my WIP began life as Clementine Clothcollector
in a red dress and a blue hat. She's morphed into Velma Vacationer with a red
hat and turquoise dress ;-)

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply

Old March 24th 04, 07:28 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Lucille , i would never advice to break out of road regulations ,,,,,
But needlework isn`t the road , if you `break` the `law` nobody will
get harmed ,, only some old fashioned Accepted Rules ,,, one lady
quite known for her textile works , came into my solo in Ein Harod
Museum ,,, and said ,, " How DARE you mix embroidery weaving , crochet
etc,,, ? " I wondered waht the term DARE made there at all ,, I
honestly told her i felt that this was the way it should have been
done ...." she raised her Nose,,, and said " You are a Shame to every
textile worker !!!!!" 4 months later , at least 1000 visitors in
organized groups , and 100s in non organized groups , when my
exhibition , broke the doors of ignorring fiberart , and all
newspapers `suddenly` started to write about Other fiberart events as
well,,,, she admitted , that maybe My `scandalous` work did aome good
to all ..... Nothin g scandalous about my work , i am an artist that
happened to choose fiber as my medium ,,, I use the techniques for my
expression , as my Pallette , i don`t let the techniques control me.
Thus since there are No rules anymore .... just spill your thoughts
and feelings on the cloth you have ... it will come ...
mirjam
... On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:55:03 -0500, "Lucille"
wrote:

What a nice way this would be to break free for those among us who are
afraid to do their own thing. I'm one of those people. Although I know
it's silly, I agonize over having to change something on a needlework piece.
My first thought is if the designer wanted me to do my own thing she/he
would have said so. I do change small things some of the time, but it takes
a lot of angst to do it.
Lucille

Old March 24th 04, 07:28 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anne !!!!
sloppy ????and who exactly says that ??? iYears ago i embroidered a
work showing the "lights of Haifa " , as i saw it when we came back
from the north , [ Haifa is a mountain city] , over time i saw that
night lights vary from white to Orange ,,, i used sewing threads ,
embroidery threads , hand and some machine stiches ..on a heavy black
Silk ,,,I offered it to participate in an exhibition about "light"....
the curating lady said ,, " one can see you made it when you didn`t
know how to embroider !!!! i smiled said nothing ,, Lately the work
was chosen abs shown in Indiana South Bend University ,, Same curator
was `surprrised ` to hear it was chosen ,,,, as "we both know it isn`t
a good work!!!" Same as first time i smiled ,, It is not my problem
that she has a Set mind about how work should be done !!! others think
otherway.... But i have to tell you that you have to set some of your
own rules about you work ,, and follow them ...
mirjam

You may worry about changing things but I worry that my stitching is 'sloppy'.
On the other hand, those 'imperfections' add character.

Fly -- be free ;-)
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply

Old March 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Lucille

You're right Mirjam and I shouldn't try for perfect every time. But it's
hard to do, even when you know it's not that important to be exact.

Every so often I do break out and do something that does mix things like a
tablecloth with embroidery and crocheted doilies and patchwork spots, so I
do try.

Old March 24th 04, 03:51 PM
anne

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen said
[...]

My work would be deemed 'sloppy' by the stitching police g. I'm a bit of a
perfectionist myself but agonize over the overall look more than minute
details.

I've got a snippet of fake fur wool that I got from a floor demonstrator at AC
Moore. I'm thinking that the fake fur could be used to add additional interest
to my whimisical stitching but am not sure how the 'thread' will handle going
in and out of the fabric, or if what I call 'tails', the little fuzzy
appendages, will display. If it works, it'll beat the heck out of painstakingly
turkey stitching areas.

p.s. I've got many fond memories of my two trips to Israel

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 24th 04, 04:22 PM
Dawne Peterson

When I was in Victoria on spring break, I saw some very charming little
embroidery kits by Jennifer Pudney, who is, I think, a New Zealand
designer??
She has done needlepoint kits, and I bought one of her kits for children,
which are marketted as Crafty Dog, to keep company with my hostess, who was
hemstitching some napkins. (my choice was a design called Drama Queen)
I love her stuff because it is modern, bright, and has woman-centered
themes--women reading, dancing, having tea etc. They have humour without
being "precious" or cutsey. Her embroidery kits are worked on felt. The
outlines are printed on. While I wondered if the designs were too small
for a beginning embroiderer, the other side of that is they would stitch up
quite quickly.
Dawne

Old March 24th 04, 06:40 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anne I here By Free you of the stiching police On Wed, 24 Mar 2004
They have been Out lawd!!!!!
mirjam
ps where did you visit i live in HAIFA ,,,

Old March 24th 04, 06:43 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hee Lucille ,, and who exactly is persfect???? look at the world ...
anything persfect there ??? or nature ?? if you look varefuly , even
your hands aren`t 100 % the same ,,,, so whi cares about persfect ,,
on the contrary when we create someting from our heart and fills a gap
in our soul THAT is perfecting a part of us .....
mirjam

Old March 24th 04, 06:52 PM
Debra

Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Dianne , i think we were `dancing` around this subjevt every several
months on this group ,.... I believe every person has a story to tell
and his / her own way to do it ..... maybe one should let go of some
of 'You Must do it THIS way and not That way attidtude ???"
Maybe really listening to those who come with another culture = thus
other point of view , might open up your ability to BE YOU Dianne ,,,,
This onece in ages person ,,,, take all those wonderful techniques you
know so well .... take a piece of cloth ..... and Embroider DIANNE not
the portret but the concept .... Just Embroider you name ,,,,birth
date , other important dates in you life ,, you kid`s names etc,,, see
where this leads you ,, choose a specail color for each person and
each date ,,,, See where this leads you .... mirjam
:

Hmm, interesting idea you have there. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I
changed it a little to suit myself. It would make a lovely sampler of
my life.

Let's see.......No kids, cats instead, maybe add a real whisker to it
if I find one (a whisker, not the whole cat) laying on the bed.
A piece of braided ribbon for Rick who taught me how to do that.
A chocolate bar to represent my first job, filling vending machines.
A cross stitched cell phone and skein of DMC for my girlfriend.
A computer and movie symbols for another male friend.
Sticks and balls to represent how I learned to print.
Books because I love to read.
A treadle sewing machine, and crochet hooks for my grandma.
A quilt block for great grandma.
Hummingbird for a aunt.
Cards and a leg cast for the summer that I couldn't go swimming but
friends all came often for UNO games that lasted late into the night.
Songbirds because they lift my spirits when I am feeling down.
Tools for my grandpa.

I haven't even listed my mom, brother, and DH and I'm thinking I will
need to use a lot of charms, specialty buttons, hand made glass beads,
and printed fabric applique to speed up the finishing of this life
sampler.
Debra in VA
Old March 24th 04, 07:15 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:

I've got a snippet of fake fur wool that I got from a floor demonstrator at AC
Moore. I'm thinking that the fake fur could be used to add additional interest
to my whimisical stitching but am not sure how the 'thread' will handle going
in and out of the fabric, or if what I call 'tails', the little fuzzy
appendages, will display. If it works, it'll beat the heck out of painstakingly
turkey stitching areas.

Couching? Perhaps with matching sewing thread?

Monday morning, I was perusing a very old needlework book (1911) and
found some directions for "plush stitch". Of course, as usual, these
old books don't have much in the way of graphical how-to's. You learned
back then mostly by written word - which often didn't match with an
accompanying graphic.

Anyway, "plush stitch" is made by filling a motif with Fr. knots - but
not *too* closely. Then cut pieces of floss the eventual height you
want, and cross them (like an X) in between the knots and sew them down.
When finished, you brush them to fluff. I should really get the text
and type it out. It was a stitch (pardon the pun) to read.

No, there is nothing really new under the sun. But as I read that, I
was thinking how much easier turkey (or velvet) stitch would have been!
I want to try this just to see how it looks, but haven't had time.

Dianne

Carla & Margie..RCB meet up next month?? ~Candace~ Beads 3 November 24th 04 05:31 PM
NO RCB Meet Today :( ~Candace~ Beads 9 August 18th 04 09:54 PM
OT Story: How to meet your best friend starlia Beads 2 May 13th 04 01:21 AM