Meet Matilda Mallstomper

Old March 23rd 04, 01:57 AM
anne

lula said
Hmmmm, where did I get this feeling you weren't exactly going for the
ladylike, elegant look for your fan design?

I may surprise us both and buy some fancy threads for that fan one of these
days. There's a gorgeous design, complete with how to's in a book that I'm too
lazy to go upstairs to get the name of. Before attempting that project, I need
to practise laying down an evenly spaced trellis.

hahaha, thanks to you, I decided to let my imagination go
and have some real fun creating my next embroidery.

ooooooh, I can't wait to see what an real artiste comes up with

One doesn't need to use shading to add depth to a design........you can
use pattern to add depth, for example doing a check border in an area,
in another, do some stripes, then add some dots, these patterns can be
in bright colors or subdued by using more pastel and close colors .
Many artists will use pattern instead of just shading their artwork to
add depth to their work.

I'm slowly coming to realize that I don't need to recreate the original exactly
or duplicate the intricate color schemes of cross stitch charts to create
something that pleases me. FYI, my WIP began life as Clementine Clothcollector
in a red dress and a blue hat. She's morphed into Velma Vacationer with a red
hat and turquoise dress ;-)

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 23rd 04, 09:12 AM
lula

Hi Anne,

As I figured, you're a very creative stitcher......just needing a few
pointers in the right direction now and then! We all benefit from these
creative "pushes" from others periodically.

It's wonderful that you're going to continue to do more fun
characters......those names you title them with add that extra bit of
fun to the imagination! Like having a cherry added on top!

Have you thought of making these embroideries into three dimensional
figures such as cloth "dolls"?

I literally dance around with joy whenever I come up with a workable new
over the top character........it's a major accomplishment being able to
capture the just right expressions of these "funny" faces on gridded
canvas.

Today, I decided to stitch a model of Madame La Zora & Co, the over the
top fortune teller with her cat companions......she's the gleeful lady
on the front page of web site......

The only negative is my canvas to stitch is not the beautifully painted
model I did earlier but only a blank canvas that I outlined verey
lightly with a micron pen.......so pretty much, I'm stitching and
designing as I go......

I've already frogged a few inches of stitching in the short time I was
stitching. One can't be faint hearted to "frog" if one wants to capture
the just right expression of the faces, especially the eyes! These
details makes or breaks my whole design as my work depends heavily on
expressive lines.

The fun part was filling a large basket full of pretty colors and
textures of whatever threads I might need to create my "masterpiece"
model!
This needlepoint of Madame La Zora & Co is my "work" stitching......my
FUN stitching is to be an embroidery, a really fun piece titled More
Bitch than Stitch.....there's a computer screen with little puffs of
smoke and tiny flames shooting out......have already done a fun sketch
of the project so far.
I'd like to intergrate humorous text using decorative fonts into the
design along with all sorts of fun embellishments and so on.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 23rd 04, 01:42 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I think more than a few of us need a "directed" push. We can't look at
a plain canvas and do it. And even if we *can* put *something* on that
plain canvas, it ends up being trite. That may not be the right word.
More akin to: been there, done that, nothing original.

How I wish there was some way I could get into a fiber class that
demanded of us in such a way that - sweat pouring down brow - it could
eek out my inner self.

Watching this conversation: Yesterday I looked at a piece I'm doing,
and I noticed the petals in the flower. I definitely have my "own way"
of drawing, but I don't know how to break out and make it really say
something. Everytime I look at it, I think: Oh, but artists do it so
much better. I *know* that's not exactly true in the deepest sense, but
that's a tape recorder that's hard to overcome.

Dianne

Old March 23rd 04, 02:19 PM
anne

lula said
I literally dance around with joy whenever I come up with a workable new
over the top character........it's a major accomplishment being able to
capture the just right expressions of these "funny" faces on gridded
canvas.

You need to get a webcam to share those dances with us ;-)

Today, I decided to stitch a model of Madame La Zora & Co, the over the
top fortune teller with her cat companions......she's the gleeful lady
on the front page of web site......

Madame is gorgeous but Chocolatta really says 'do me'. So much so, I may try my
hand at needlepoint ;-)

This needlepoint of Madame La Zora & Co is my "work" stitching......my
FUN stitching is to be an embroidery, a really fun piece titled More
Bitch than Stitch.....there's a computer screen with little puffs of
smoke and tiny flames shooting out......have already done a fun sketch
of the project so far.

I'd love to see that one. Email coming at you

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
Lucille

What a nice way this would be to break free for those among us who are
afraid to do their own thing. I'm one of those people. Although I know
it's silly, I agonize over having to change something on a needlework piece.
My first thought is if the designer wanted me to do my own thing she/he
would have said so. I do change small things some of the time, but it takes
a lot of angst to do it.
Lucille

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Dianne , i think we were `dancing` around this subjevt every several
months on this group ,.... I believe every person has a story to tell
and his / her own way to do it ..... maybe one should let go of some
of 'You Must do it THIS way and not That way attidtude ???"
Maybe really listening to those who come with another culture = thus
other point of view , might open up your ability to BE YOU Dianne ,,,,
This onece in ages person ,,,, take all those wonderful techniques you
know so well .... take a piece of cloth ..... and Embroider DIANNE not
the portret but the concept .... Just Embroider you name ,,,,birth
date , other important dates in you life ,, you kid`s names etc,,, see
where this leads you ,, choose a specail color for each person and
each date ,,,, See where this leads you .... mirjam
:

Old March 23rd 04, 07:06 PM
anne

Lucille said
What a nice way this would be to break free for those among us who are
afraid to do their own thing. I'm one of those people. Although I know
it's silly, I agonize over having to change something on a needlework piece.
My first thought is if the designer wanted me to do my own thing she/he
would have said so. I do change small things some of the time, but it takes
a lot of angst to do it.

You may worry about changing things but I worry that my stitching is 'sloppy'.
On the other hand, those 'imperfections' add character.

Fly -- be free ;-)
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 23rd 04, 10:34 PM
lula

Dianne,

Mirjam gave out the best advice any design teacher will say.......DO
IT.....you have to start someplace, so just start........and yes, you
have to get rid of whatever inner negative voice you might
hear.......you have to block that out and go do it.......

True, I may able to draw well but the bottom line is, I still have to
sit down and try out new methods......afterall, I'm pretty much a self
taught stitcher......I started with kits and then realized how many
changes I kept making to the designs, so decided to create my own
needlework designs!
There was quite a bit of trial and error.......you can't be afraid to
make mistakes, it's the only way to learn in this field.
You also can't be afraid to waste materials or toss aside blah ideas
half done.....there is no such thing as having to finish everything you
start....you have to keep trying and trying till you are
satisfied.....and you will know that feeling at some point.......

It wasn't easy at all and in art school we were constantly pushed to SEE
and OBSERVE not copy what's there already......from there, we had to use
what we saw and interpret it in our own way.........creatively!!!

As an example: In an art class of 30, we were given an assignment to
illustrate the subject of metamorphisis.......the professor critiqued 29
results of this assignment as totally boring.........despite being
beautifully painted and drawn, he said none of these students used their
minds to think creatively.

I had produced the only art work he liked because I didn't do a literal
painted study of rotting tree stumps and vegatation.......my painting
was based on Greek Mythology of the Three Fates.....youth, middle age
and old age and each fairy like creature was in it's forested area with
blooming plants for youth, green healthy growth for middle and fading
autumn....all areas were linked with the water of life brook......

Basically, one has to push their minds to think of producing ideas
outside of what is expected, think crazy perhaps but the point is to
think beyond what you expect........I do this everyday of my
life.....I'm always pushing and pushing my mind to be as creative as I
can possibly be........

The other important thing to be creative is to see what's around you,
everything......street art, clothing, designs and products you might not
even like, etc. A creative person can't have a closes mind......you
never know where inspiration can come from......inspiration and
creativity don't come in packages, certain times of the day, but from
minds that learn and process all it sees, hear, feels.....all the senses
are involved......the mind absorbs and eventually if one becomes attuned
to these feelings, all the stimuli the mind has absorbed will begin to
show up little by little in the way you think.......the more you look
and practice, the more it'll come out in your creations.....and even
when this begins to work, you can't sit back on your laurels because
designs, ideas become old as soon as they're produced.......it's a
constant and continuous growth to be a good designer....
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 23rd 04, 10:47 PM
lula

Anne,

You got the right idea.....worrying about perfection will get you no
place when it comes to being creative.
I'm not advocating sloppiness and carelessness in the name of creativity
but I think we all share that feeling about being perfect.

I sometimes feel, in the pursuit of perfect stitching techniques
sacrifices good design.
Some are so involved in stitching perfect stitches, that they forget to
balance design elements and color sense.

Every creative piece has the stamp of the artists hand and if the
stitches are a little uneven so what? That proves it's hand made......I
think we all know the difference between hand made and home made.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Lucille said

Old March 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
lula

Thanks so much for your compliments on my designs......my greatest joy
is in being able to create the next "great" illustration. I really love
creating "new" images.

The joy comes because of all the frustrations........for every good idea
I've accomplished, there are some not so good ones but I'm no longer
afraid to toss out bad paintings or stitchery.....a waste of time to try
resurrecting ideas that don't work.

I had Chocolotta playing in my mind since the early 90's!!! It took that
long before I was able to paint a version of her......but I still have a
version to paint that's eluding me at the moment.......might work out
better if I paint this Chocolotta on paper with watercolor rather than
on canvas.....gridding limits and hampers a certain amount of
creativity!

I want the second Chocolotta to have a "looser" look, more painterly
feelings......want to create a chocolate box look......ribbons, pinks
and creams, fat little cherubs holding swags of roses in the corners of
the curlicue gold frame border I want to paint and enclose another
reclining Chocolotta.......I'd also like to add a fluffy poodle.....
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

anne wrote:

lula said
[...]

Carla & Margie..RCB meet up next month?? ~Candace~ Beads 3 November 24th 04 05:31 PM
NO RCB Meet Today :( ~Candace~ Beads 9 August 18th 04 09:54 PM
OT Story: How to meet your best friend starlia Beads 2 May 13th 04 01:21 AM