Jelly Jars

Old November 2nd 03, 07:03 PM
Monika Schleidt

annemarie wrote:

How amazing that these are not well known outside NZ ) Your jars sound
fantastic, I have only used glass jars never thought of making my own.
Don't do much preserving really, but what a wonderful present.

I always use glass jars and use them as presents too. I think the reason is
that you can see in the jar and see if they are mouldy or anything. In
pottery jars, you have to trust it and that's not always easy.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old November 4th 03, 02:29 PM
Bob Masta

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:01:55 +0000 (UTC), Uncle John
wrote:

They are a clear glassine or cellophane like product which are produced
for the sealing of preserves eg jam pickles etc. They are not plastic,
are already cut in circles and come in a variety of sizes. They have been
around forever and pre-date plastic

They should be available in supermarkets or other stores selling
preserving type of products.eg jars

When you are ready to use them you soak them in water. Fill up your jars
and then stretch a cover over the top and anchor down with a rubber
band.As the top dries out it stretches tight like a drum head and forms a
seal.

If you can't find any in your neck of the woods send me an email

and I'll post you over a packet

May the food be with you

John Webb

John:

Thanks very much for the generous offer, but what I'd
really like to locate is a supplier for the future. The
grocery stores around here (Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA)
don't have anything like this in their canning supplies section.

Could you please post the name of the manufacturer
of these things? I'd like to contact them and see if
they have any outlets in North America.

Thank you!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old November 5th 03, 01:23 AM
wayneinkeywest

Thank youy John. i will check for US sources and post anything I find.
Wayne Seidl
Okay

The Brand is Waugh and they are manufactured by the Waugh Rubber Bands
Ltd., at PO Box 13366, Wellington, New Zealand.

They come in packs of 25 covers complete with 25 rubber bands and 25 jar
labels. They retail for $1.64 a packet.

The labal shows them as 25 cellophane jam jar and preserve covers. The
directions are to moisten cover, place carefully over hot jam without
stretching unduly and secure with a rubber band.

I would imagine that if you can't buy these buy some cellophane and
experiment.

I will post a packet to each of those who requested them

Keep on jamming and don't get in a pickle.

John Webb

Old November 5th 03, 01:29 AM
wayneinkeywest

Success! Eureka! or YeeHaw! (depending on your origins:)
They can be ordered at the following link, direct to the Waugh Rubber Band
Co. website.
Ain't technology great?
Best Regards,
Wayne Seidl
The link is: http://www.waughbands.co.nz/products/jamcovers/

Old November 5th 03, 01:39 AM
wayneinkeywest

I have sent the Waugh Company an "enquiry" via e-mail as to a US
distributor. I will post their reply if / when received.
Wayne

Old November 5th 03, 02:16 AM
Uncle John

"wayneinkeywest" wrote in
:

Success! Eureka! or YeeHaw! (depending on your origins:)
They can be ordered at the following link, direct to the Waugh Rubber
Band Co. website.
Ain't technology great?
Best Regards,
Wayne Seidl
The link is: http://www.waughbands.co.nz/products/jamcovers/

Well I'll be gob-smacked

John
Old November 7th 03, 03:17 AM
Uncle John

Uncle John wrote in news:Xns942A9B6E4E52Dknickers@
202.180.64.19:

"wayneinkeywest" wrote in
:

I have three packets of seal left. If you want a packet email me on

and I'll get one in the post for you

John Webb
Old November 8th 03, 02:03 PM
Bob Masta

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:49:41 -0500, "wayneinkeywest"
wrote:

John:
I never got a reply from the Waugh Company.
Pretty poor business practice that, considering they are missing a potential
market of all US potters. Shame on them.

Regarding your message, though, thanks anyway. I figured out what they are,
and have made my own. Cellophane is cheap by the roll here, and so easy to
cut. Beats grinding corks. Not as long lasting though :) Maybe I'll
attempt some lids...what a concept :)

Best Regards,
Wayne Seidl

I guess I'm still having a little trouble understanding how this
whole system works. Let's say you have a hot jar you just
filled with hot jelly (and wiped the rim). Now, you put one of
these cello disks over the jar and pull the edges down and
hold with rubber bands to the jar. From my (limited)
experience with cellophane, I wouldn't expect it to seal
very well to the rim. Or does it soften when it gets that
hot? (But not soften so much as to tear.)

Or is there some magical coating on these cellophane
disks, like maybe paraffin? I've seen a material called
Parafilm (I think), which is used to cover laboratory glassware.
This stuff is stretchy at room temperature and seals
very well (keeps flasks and beakers sterile, etc), but
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take the heat of a hot
jelly jar. However, if the cello doesn't work by itself,
I'm thinking that a layer of this stuff against the rim
would melt and make the seal, and a second layer
of cello would provide strength.

Or maybe a clay lid, with Parafilm under it as a seal?

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com

FOR SALE: 50 quart size Altas canning jars, $50 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 21st 04 02:58 AM
AD: Jelly Hearts, Mosaic Heart, Coral Craziness and more Karen_AZ Beads 3 April 7th 04 05:47 PM
display bell jars John France General Crafting 2 March 17th 04 04:26 PM
Frosted jars for candles Steve Glass 11 November 11th 03 02:38 AM
AD Bead Bucks Jars on E Bay Kandice Seeber Beads 0 September 5th 03 12:44 AM